PDA

View Full Version : Moving servers

pooface
11-11-10, 13:06
Arghhhh
Why do I have to work in I.T? Hehe.

Gotta change over the main server in this small site, and they're adamant the computers still need to be used whilst I do the transfer. I only visit this site a few hours a week, so had to get the server setup on the odd hour here and there.

Anyway, today the big changeover day, and they won't turn off the workstations... So, gotta op it all with the workstations running, getting lots pdf moaning about this and that being down.

Trying to transfer all data from old server, slow as hell. Can I just walk out of here! lol

Sent by my phone

bobonthejob
11-11-10, 13:39
where dya work mate?

pooface
11-11-10, 14:21
where dya work mate?

I work for a few primary schools. Other great problem with primary schools, everything's got to be done on a cheap ass budget... lol

Sent by my phone

bobonthejob
11-11-10, 14:37
Doh!...lol ....

I used to work in a primary school...earlier on...Worked a couple in the county....Damn did i have some boring days...And man....budgets are shizer.... lol

pooface
11-11-10, 14:41
Where'd you work note then? Were you in I.T? I had thought about becoming a teacher at one point, boy an I glass I'm not, lol...

Sent by my phone

bobonthejob
11-11-10, 14:59
Yup in IT mate....Linux/Unix analyst.....

Work in Desford.

silverfox0786
11-11-10, 21:39
is every one here in IT im in IT too but a little different to you guys, I am a PC support Technition, I repair build and diagnose PC faults be it hardware or software [More hardware though]

Larry-G
11-11-10, 21:57
nope i'm a cctv operator but i do a little bodyguard work on the side.

Palinkat
11-11-10, 22:09
I am in I.T too. I work in video games development. I can't say it's boring though :)

notanotherone
11-11-10, 22:43
now i know where to come if i need a good I.T worker

pooface
11-11-10, 22:55
Yup in IT mate....Linux/Unix analyst.....

Work in Desford.

Any jobs available mate?! Is a little distance away from where I live, but used to drive passed it at my old job, so it'll be fine. Also, quite enjoy the journey, as find driving quite relaxing :p hehe.

Seriously though, I like the job, because I can get away with just searching the Internet and doing nothing at quite times, but then at other times (like today), it's mega stressful as need to do everything and work extra for f all recognition :p

But, I find that I am not getting any extra input in to my career, and it's quite stale in terms of learning new things... So, gimme a job :p hehe

now i know where to come if i need a good I.T worker

Will cost ya :p hehe

Conaxthewarrior
21-11-10, 17:02
I must be the ye olde grandad of IT as I once worked as a telephone linesman for BT before the mobile telefone came about. Yes that's right, an actual dinasour of the pre ms dos era! Give you all a clue when it was...the computer of the day was the mighty Acorn Atom(!!) and the Sinclair ZX81 (the computer of the future , it was called...turned out to be one of the biggest flops of all time!!!) So me'lads which one of yer has the correct year???

Stanman
21-11-10, 19:09
I must be the ye olde grandad of IT as I once worked as a telephone linesman for BT before the mobile telefone came about. Yes that's right, an actual dinasour of the pre ms dos era! Give you all a clue when it was...the computer of the day was the mighty Acorn Atom(!!) and the Sinclair ZX81 (the computer of the future , it was called...turned out to be one of the biggest flops of all time!!!) So me'lads which one of yer has the correct year???

1982 me thinks

Conaxthewarrior
26-11-10, 23:28
Bugger, exactly right! So, for an extra ten quid, what was the name of the standard phone of the time, (the big hevey single coloured beast that made the classic "ring ring" sound)?

silverfox0786
27-11-10, 04:00
The TSR 8009A Eiger [1981]
aka STC Classic

i'll pm you my paypal address for the tenner lol

Ojustaboo
27-11-10, 14:41

A little earlier than me. Vic 20 had just been superseded by the C64 when I first got into IT, think it was 1986

When I started, our 2nd most important machine was a Sperry Univac. Every week we'd have a morning of training on just how to boot the thing etc. First we had to boot the support processor using something like a 9" floppy and octal keypad. Then we had to say whether to load the op system into low or high memory etc etc.

Just learnt the whole lot off by heart and they replaced it with a Data General where you simply pressed "B" to boot :)

We also had a Cray supercomputer which at the time was the best around (thing that looks like it has a seat all the way around it). They had a bit of software where you would mount loads of reel to reel tapes, it would spin them so fast that it would play a tune.

At the other end we had things called something like a Gould Sell where we had disks the size of washing machines that held a massive 330MB, if you played the inbuilt chess game, whenever the Sell thought of it's move, all the tapes stopped spinning lol, if memory serves me correct, even had to use punch cards to do certain software loads on it. I also seem to remember that every few months this lady in white overalls would appear and manually clean all the disk platters.

They were the days lol

bobonthejob
27-11-10, 19:23
Wow...ther are lots of us...

@pooface - Not taking any one on at the moment. Yet the work load is intense.....aghhhhhhhhhh

Conaxthewarrior
28-11-10, 19:49
Don't know about The TSR 8009A Eiger [1981] or STC Classic but the phone I had in mind was known as BT's 746 model, reliable but the ear piece was apt to "go" after a few years giving that classic crackle while listening...incidently, I downloaded an mp3 of the 746's ring and now have it as my mobile ringtone!! trouble is, everyone nearby looks at me & thinks "He must be an old git"....!!!!!