PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive opinion, recommendation and view for Vu Duo 2.

Rexstar
09-04-14, 11:26
Im just about to become first time owner of vu (very excited) bought from world of sat. Im going a bit mad in search of perfect hard drive for my vu duo2. I came across so many but don't know which drives to go for I'm going to suggest few let me know what you guys think of those drive also any recommended drive will be appreciated. ok vu i ordered is 2 x twin tuner. what i am looking for is hard drive that stays cool, quiet, and can handle high definition recording from two twin tuners simultaneously.

hard drives i was looking at:

WD Black 3 TB SATA 6 Gb/s 3.5-inch Internal Desktop Hard Drive

WD WD40EZRX 4TB Green Hard Drive 3.5" HDD, SATA III 6Gb/s 64MB Cache IntelliPower OEM (i was looking to go for this one but its 5200 rpm, so i was wondering if this drive could handle 2 or 3 hd channel recording all at the same time.)

VERBATIM 2.5" 3 TB internal hard drive

Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive

also can vu duo2 handle 3tb and 4tb hard drive?

any suggestion recommended

bellejt
09-04-14, 12:15
google is your friend : best hdd vu+ duo2

josh_g
09-04-14, 12:22
the lower the RPM the better in this case as the faster they are the noisier they tend to be..

i used a 1TB HDD i stole from my old sky HD box and runs quiet and my box never feels warm.

Hardrives are designed to cope with a lot or read/writes as operating systems are very chatty when using them in PCs.

im not sure on what size drives your box can take but i remember my TM-twin had a limit of 2TB, so may be worth installing in a computer and mounting as a share?

It doesn't really matter what hardrive you put in as there are only 3 companies in the world that actually make them and are all pretty much the same really

Rob van der Does
09-04-14, 12:41
Speed (RPM) and cache are of no importance at all for a DVR.
Best use an 2.5"Laptop HDD or a dedicated 3.5" PVR-HDD.

Rexstar
09-04-14, 14:40
google is your friend : best hdd vu+ duo2

actually google is my best friend and we are happy together.

Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge in regards to hard drive and sats, lot of info i wanted to know about sat box with hdd has been answered, low rpm is good, go for 2.5 hard drive if possible. 4tb is a so so with vu duo, i heard its need to be parted for 4tb to use on vu duo. that helps quiet alot in searching the hdd. i was looking for anything and everything that really refines my search. more knowledge is always welcome.

Rexstar
09-04-14, 17:02
quick update on the drive i Bought, hope it works out well with the box.

Green Power WD20NPVX 2TB 2.5in HDD £80 found myself a bargain may be price was mistakenly quoted on the site, no one is selling it lower than £110.

lets see if they honour the bargain lol! from tesco direct

Rexstar
19-04-14, 14:01
WD Green Power WD20NPVX 2TB 2.5in HDD brilliant drive really quiet can't tell if its even on. so thumbs up works well with vu duo2

Fuzzy
20-04-14, 10:07
I have Western Digital green power hdds in my slybox, my foxsat hdr and now my duo2. They are quiet, run cool and very reliable. Good choice :)

nsw9154
20-04-14, 10:17
i fitted a Toshiba 1 TB 2.5" 5000 rpm in my Solo2 and it is working great and only cost £54 delivered :D well pleased