PDA

View Full Version : Installing an external Hard drive inside the Solo 2

satnut
08-04-14, 19:29
Hey guys my Solo2 is currently running with a WD My passport External drive connected

I have removed the WD HDD drive from its caddy , the supplied internal drive HDD cable which came with the solo2 doesnt fit due to the usb connector on the WD drive

Is there another set of cables I can use to save me having to buy another HDD ?

Has anyone else done this ?

Any links to the cables you have used ?

Thanks

IAmATeaf
08-04-14, 20:18
The WD drives in usb caddies aren't real sata drives any more so you can't open up the caddy and use it as an internal drive like you could before. Well when I say real sata they are basically a sata drive but WD replace the controller board with a board that has a sata to usb interface built onto the board.

Waffling on a bit, sorry, so you can either keep it as a usb external or maybe swap it for a proper internal sata drive.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

satnut
08-04-14, 21:06
The WD drives in usb caddies aren't real sata drives any more so you can't open up the caddy and use it as an internal drive like you could before. Well when I say real sata they are basically a sata drive but WD replace the controller board with a board that has a sata to usb interface built onto the board.

Waffling on a bit, sorry, so you can either keep it as a usb external or maybe swap it for a proper internal sata drive.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for the info buddy , will look at one of the recommended proper internal sata drives instead then

DaMacFunkin
09-04-14, 15:38
I had the same prob with my WD usb3 I ripped the case open to find that yucky controller
Board, I used the drive anyway for a while but you can't beat an internal sata.