PDA

View Full Version : timeout for tuner lock

Fuzzy
07-04-14, 18:35
Hi
Groundhog day, I'm afraid. This is the third Monday in a row when I have received a brand-new VU+ receiver, and the third time there has been a problem. The first (Ultimo) wouldn't boot after flashing. The second (Duo2) wouldn't respond to remote and now this (another Duo2) won't find any channels. It came with a twin S2 tuner module.
The first thing I did was see if responded to the remote, which it did, so I thought I was going to have a good day :D. So, I ran the setup wizard, set the video up, installed my network and set both tuners to simple, single, 28.2E Astra, no. I have a single, fixed, Sky dish for the record. I ran ABM, chose Sky England and let it scan. After a few minutes (and finding no channels), it said 'time out for tuner lock'. Since then, I have tried various different scans, and different providers and it has never found anything. Also, when it has tried a scan, it seems to run very slowly, and is a bit unresponsive to the remote. I shut it down for 10 minutes or so and it seems ok again, but it still won't find a channel.
I have an octo lnb with 6 cables coming into the room. I have a skyhd box and a freesat box and they work fine (90% strength, 100% quality signal) and I've tried swapping the cables about, so it isn't the feed from the lnb that's the problem. I have tried just selecting freesat and making it as simple as possible, but it never finds anything. I started with an hdmi cable and hdd connected but now it's a scart with no hdd. I've tried disabling Tuner A and making it use tuner B. I've even re-flashed it twice but nothing makes any difference I really hope that I'm doing something wrong here, cos surely I can't have had 3 faulty machines in as many weeks.
I do have another twin S2 module which I was going to fit later once it was all up and running. Would it be worth trying that instead of the one that came with it?
Very much hoping that someone can help, cos I'm out of ideas (again!)
Thanks very much in advance, Steve

Maxwell
07-04-14, 18:55
Nobody is that unlucky even my step father when he was alive and he was a complete disaster when it came to electrical goods :D

Anyway reflash then configure just one tuner connect a known good cable to it and leave the other not configured
Do a normal channel scan ie not ABM so menu>setup>service searching>automatic scan and see what happens

Fuzzy
07-04-14, 19:04
Thanks Maxwell, much appreciated. - I thought maybe I was just jinxed :confused: Will try what you suggested and report back.

Fuzzy
07-04-14, 20:40
ok, I re-flashed, then I did 2 automatic scans, with a reboot in between. First, Tuner A not configured, Tuner B simple, single, 28.2, no. Then I did Tuner A simple, single, 28.2, no, Tuner B not configured. The result of both scans was that it found nothing. I had a twin sat cable removed from (and working fine) in my SkyHD box plugged in. The box was very slow in responding to the remote just after both scans. I've got a horrible feeling here :confused:
Thanks very much, Steve

Fuzzy
08-04-14, 08:57
Right, I repeated the above test again this morning with a different pair of sat cables, this time removed from my FoxSat (90% strength, 100% quality signal in there) and I didn't specify 28.2, I left it at automatic. Nothing found again, and this time it crashed the box, saying it had encountered a software failure and it needed to be restarted. I did the test twice - nothing.

I've got a SkyHD box that cost me £35 off ebay, a Foxsat box that was £90 and a Skybox f5 that was £50, and none of those have given me any trouble whatsoever. I've flashed the f5 and put custom firmware on the foxsat, added hdd's to all of them, no problem. Yet this £400+ box has been a total nightmare!

I'll contact WoS.co.uk, see what they have to say, thanks for trying to help Maxwell.

Steve

Maxwell
08-04-14, 09:05
Very odd that 3 superb boxes don't work - whereabouts in the country are you ?

Fuzzy
08-04-14, 09:10
East Yorkshire mate. Even if I was in a fringe reception area, it should pick something up, surely?

Maxwell
08-04-14, 09:12
signal should be fine I only asked in case you were somewhere near, I am intrigued as to why you are having such problems and would have popped round but thats way too far

Fuzzy
08-04-14, 09:15
Ah right, thanks anyway! :) I'll email WoS, I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear from me!

Steve

Maxwell
08-04-14, 09:20
just a quick one about your LNB setup - Is it a standard sky LNB or has it been replaced by an aftermarket product ? if so which one ?
Do you have any Diseq switches or anything in there ?

Fuzzy
08-04-14, 09:26
It's a standard Sky dish, but I fitted an octo lnb a few weeks ago. Off ebay, can't remember the make, it cost me about £20 iirc. It works fine with the other 3 sat receivers I'm using.

Edit: just checked my ebay and I'm non the wiser

"A BRAND NEW MTI THOMSON ZINWELL OR WISTRON OCTO LNB" So, it'll be one of those, then :)

Maxwell
08-04-14, 09:32
is it just Horizontal on one port and Vertical on another - do you have the ebay link ? if so pm me it please

Maxwell
08-04-14, 09:42
that lnb seems to be ok so that rules out that train of thought :confused:

Fuzzy
08-04-14, 09:51
Right, thanks anyway. There are 2 single cables and 2 twin cables coming down from the dish and I've tried them all. WoS said they tested the unit, including the tuners, before it was sent out, so God-knows what's going on?:confused: I'll try my other twin tuner in it but I can't say I'm very hopeful.
Thanks mate, Steve

Maxwell
08-04-14, 09:53
I'll give you £20 for it :D

Fuzzy
08-04-14, 09:58
Thanks! I'm taking it to my mum's house to try it on her dish, see if it works there. I'm running out of ideas :(

Maxwell
08-04-14, 10:06
Try this Tuner config

Tuner A

Configuration mode - Advanced
Satellite - 28E
LNB- LNB1
Priority - Auto
LOF - Universal LNB
Voltage mode - polarisation
Increased voltage - no
Tone mode - Band
DiSEQC mode - None

Tuner B

Configuration mode - Advanced
Satellite - 28E
LNB- LNB2
Priority - Auto
LOF - Universal LNB
Voltage mode - polarisation
Increased voltage - no
Tone mode - Band
DiSEQC mode - None

Fuzzy
08-04-14, 14:53
Problem solved mate! I took it to my mum's and it was just the same. So, I changed the tuner module and tried again. As soon as it started scanning it was finding channels. Both A & B tuners were fine, plus the box wasn't running slowly after the scan. Going by the serial numbers, the one I put in was slightly older than the one that had failed. Good job I had a module, or the box would have had to go back again instead of just the tuner! So, I'm going to reflash and start from scratch and pretend the last 24 hours didn't happen :)

Thanks very much for your help Maxwell, you've been a star! Very much appreciated!

Cheers, Steve

Maxwell
08-04-14, 15:02
Glad you are finally sorted - now you can have a good play with everything else in the image just take regular backups so you can easily revert back if you make a mistake

Fuzzy
08-04-14, 15:12
I'll do that mate. Thanks again.

DaMacFunkin
09-04-14, 15:33
So how did wos respond to you saying that the tuner was faulty after they said they had checked it?

nsw9154
09-04-14, 17:13
just take regular backups so you can easily revert back if you make a mistake

That is one thing that i do every time i upgrade to a new version of Zeus even though i am on Zeus 22 i still have a backup & image of Zeus 11 :p:thumbsup:

Fuzzy
10-04-14, 09:40
So how did wos respond to you saying that the tuner was faulty after they said they had checked it?

I gave them the serial numbers of the two modules and they said to return the faulty one and it would be replaced. Can't say fairer than that, I suppose. It meant that I did indeed get 3 receivers in as many weeks that were faulty, so I am obviously cursed! :)

DaMacFunkin
10-04-14, 12:49
The point I'm trying to make is how can they be faulty if they have supposedly checked them, reason I ask is I've had something similar from another supplier that have been dragging their feet on the same premise.

Fuzzy
10-04-14, 13:29
That, I don't know. I suppose it could have gone faulty in transit, although that seems unlikely. I'm assuming that WoS checked the serial number of the tuner module before it was sent out, or they checked what it was with the manufacturer, maybe. They didn't ask me any more about it after I had given them the serials and they offered a replacement, so I assumed they were happy with what I had told them.