PDA

View Full Version : Random shutdown of VU Duo

ronaldbiggs
02-04-14, 10:23
Hi I have been experiencing an issue with my Duo over the past 7 days. The receiver will randomly show a black screen and the front panel will just show "VU duo", I then have to reboot the receiver to make it work again.

After a few days of rebooting every 2 hours I re flashed with the latest Zeus 0.16 VIX image on Sunday morning and also installed the "On Demand" plugin and all appeared good again, however last night at 10:00 it happened again, this time is shuts off very 10 minutes.

I have since re flashed again this morning with the same image and await the results tonight when I get home. I have no plugins installed as yet as I wanted to see if there was still a problem when just the base image was loaded

Any ideas on possible causes

Thanks for any advice.

ronaldbiggs
07-04-14, 15:20
Just a bit of an update, had the same issues again so I installed Black Hole on the 3rd April. I have not encountered any issues since, howver after using VIX for so many years I am not impressed with th BH image, but am loathed to change it as all is working O.K.
The only thing I can put it down to is the difference in the images, does the BH image put the system under less strain in any way through extensions and plugins ?, any thoughts appreciated.

Rob van der Does
08-04-14, 05:37
I don't think so.

Anyway: not sure if you did, but the DUO is best to use with a swap file. And if the box then still has issues, alos use the cache flush plugin.

ronaldbiggs
08-04-14, 10:51
I don't think so.

Anyway: not sure if you did, but the DUO is best to use with a swap file. And if the box then still has issues, alos use the cache flush plugin.

Thanks for the reply, I have run my Duo for 3 years without a swap file or the Cache Flush plugin, and have had the spinning VIX issue, what size swap file is recommended ? I would rather run VIX than BH, I am happy to re-flash and try again with the above sorted out.

mickyblueys
08-04-14, 11:22
The bigger the better, Vix will only allow a maximum of 256mb, if setting up through there software.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

ronaldbiggs
08-04-14, 11:27
The bigger the better, Vix will only allow a maximum of 256mb, if setting up through there software.

Thanks, I assume USB is the best option ?

mickyblueys
08-04-14, 11:30
I have mine to hdd, I try to put as little as possible on usb.

Rob van der Does
08-04-14, 12:08
A lot of read/write actions, so HDD is faster and more durable.