PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Cables

pooface
10-11-10, 14:33
This morning, I was getting my xbox 360 reconnected to the monitor, and decided to give hdmi a go rather than the vga cable I'd been using previously. Getting it all ready and set for giving Black Ops a play tonight (best arrive today! lol)...

Anyway, I couldn't find a hdmi cable around the house, and then suddenly remembered that I'd got one with the Solo... So, thought would give that a go. Plugged it in, turned on the 360, and it didn't show on the screen. So, thought it wasn't working, would try it on the duo downstairs and swap that cable over (which was a gold plated, £7.50 jobbie :p - I was of the mind set that a £7.50 one would work exactly the same as a £50+ one). Anyway, connected that up, and it still didn't come on. Anyway, after lots of fiddling about resetting the resolutions on xbox etc, I found out that the monitor didn't auto switch to hdmi - d'oh!

Anyway, I plugged the hdmi cable that came with the solo on to the duo in the mean time to check that it was working. Picture came through fine, but the audio seemed to sound very tinny. Much worse than when I swapped the cables over...

So, got me in to thinking, are these cables worse than more expensive cables (blowing my previous thoughts, even though these probably only cost 50p :p), or is it just coincidence?!

Also got me to thinking, how many people just use the cable that came supplied with the duo? I used the cable I had as it was one I bought for something else, and since I wasn't using the other item, used this one instead...

Cheers :)

Sicilian
10-11-10, 14:38
I just just use the cheap cables that came with my receivers, been 100% fine here :)

Maxwell
10-11-10, 14:55
No difference between a £50 one and a 50p one - digital data so it either works or it doesn't, this is a subject extensively discussed on AV sites and was proven on national TV

pooface
10-11-10, 14:58
No difference between a £50 one and a 50p one - digital data so it either works or it doesn't, this is a subject extensively discussed on AV sites and was proven on national TV

Yeah, that's what I thought... Just weird that the sound sounded really different. Guess I might not have pushed it in 100%...

bobonthejob
10-11-10, 15:27
Im much under the same impressions. I have in the past paid £25 for a HDMI cable. However managed to pick up 3M cable from ebay for under £10...Gold plated too...

Havent had any issues with sound or image.

silverfox0786
10-11-10, 15:30
I have many makes of HDMI and must admit i have not experience differences it may be a case of pot luck and yuou got a bad lead