PDA

View Full Version : HD Channels

rizzoface
31-03-14, 15:10
Hi

Just a quick opinion on everyone elses findings.

just watching Sky Prem HD and am convinced now that the picture isnt really that great on. Would probably say it was better with my SKY box..
has anyone found this to be the case also? or anyone find the HD picture on the movie channels not very HD?

Running the latest VIX image on solo2

marty
31-03-14, 15:16
I remember when SKY 1st start ising HD how vivid the image was (Discovery HD was outstanding).
I think they must be using lower bit-rates these days due to the larger number of HD channels now available :(

I find all my boxes PQ is better than that of SKY's equipment :)

nsw9154
31-03-14, 15:20
just did a test between premier HD & standard stand up guys on at the moment and the HD is slightly clearer than the standard channel well on my HD TV it is :p

rizzoface
31-03-14, 15:30
yeah its definitley clearer on HD - in fact on standard its looks god awful..almost like a bad stream! not sure if that is the same your end?

nsw9154
31-03-14, 17:08
when i had my Blade Combo i rarely watched any HD Channels because the sound was always about half the volume even when set to max in the boxes set up
but now with my solo2 i watch HD all the time when available and the volume is usually louder than the SD channels,and i have to say the picture quality is superb in HD i just love this solo2 :thumbsup::D

boysheff
31-03-14, 17:09
my solo2 images are far better than sky

DaMacFunkin
31-03-14, 18:58
Ive been saying since we changed to zeus that there is something not right with the processing on film content, if you have a top notch tv (panasonic VT50 isf calibrated, gamma 2.4) you can see it, grain is definitely being post processed by some sort of p-nr that just doesn't look natural. Both my solo2 and duo2 are suffering, if i get time i'm going to go back to 808 at the weekend and compare, maybe even take some screen shots playing the same film with my hd camcorder.

Larry-G
31-03-14, 19:49
Ive been saying since we changed to zeus that there is something not right with the processing on film content, if you have a top notch tv (panasonic VT50 isf calibrated, gamma 2.4) you can see it, grain is definitely being post processed by some sort of p-nr that just doesn't look natural. Both my solo2 and duo2 are suffering, if i get time i'm going to go back to 808 at the weekend and compare, maybe even take some screen shots playing the same film with my hd camcorder.

We have had this discussion may times before on this forum and i'll reiterate, There is absolutely nothing what so ever in the image or any image for that matter that can affect picture quality as you are speculating, except the hardware drivers as provided by the manufacturer them selves.

idgaf
31-03-14, 20:04
HD channels via my solo2 are excellent. I've saw no deterioration with the new Zeus image

seame
31-03-14, 20:23
Tvs change so fast I wouldn't know what a top notch tv is now, I do however have a very expensive sony tv thats about a year old and since changing to Zeus I can't say I've noticed any difference in PQ.

If you check a few of the german hd channels (and other countries) you will notice how much better the PQ is over bskyb and sky Ireland.

DaMacFunkin
01-04-14, 12:47
Mr Phoenix I know that it is the hardware suppliers themselves that have changed the drivers, I have read that a recent driver release turned on processing by default, but it is not good... Why are they not providing the option to turn it off? It's a question you guys higher up the tree can get an answer to easier than me.

DaMacFunkin
01-04-14, 12:50
P.s. Your sony tv might not even recognise the film content flag so it may treat all images fed to it the same, ie some sort of interlaced smoothing or motion flow control.

Larry-G
01-04-14, 13:22
P.s. Your sony tv might not even recognise the film content flag so it may treat all images fed to it the same, ie some sort of interlaced smoothing or motion flow control.

If only it were that easy mate, we submit bug reports to the various manufacturers in the same way our users do to us, weather they choose to do any thing about it is another thing entirely.

rizzoface
01-04-14, 22:00
wait a minute, so updates for the Vix image are completely separate to driver updates?
how do you know what manufacturer drivers you are on?

Larry-G
01-04-14, 22:05
wait a minute, so updates for the Vix image are completely separate to driver updates?
how do you know what manufacturer drivers you are on?

Menu> information> about.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
02-04-14, 08:25
Not sure what you mean? We tend to use the latest drivers any manufacturer supplies (after testing if they do work fine).

DaMacFunkin
02-04-14, 12:31
So why did you decide to use the drivers which enable video processing by default without the end user being able to turn it off?

Larry-G
02-04-14, 12:45
So why did you decide to use the drivers which enable video processing by default without the end user being able to turn it off?

we have no choice what so ever in which drivers we use, they are provided to us by the manufacturer, and they are exactly the same as those used by every other image maker.

Rob van der Does
02-04-14, 12:55
the drivers which enable video processing by default without the end user being able to turn it off?
I have no idea what you're talking about.

DaMacFunkin
03-04-14, 17:40
Read the thread then:-
" Update drivers 20140306 - Turn on PQ Enhancement by default "
I don't want it turned on, it makes film grain look awful, I want to turn it off.
How?

Rob van der Does
03-04-14, 18:11
Read the thread then:-
" Update drivers 20140306 - Turn on PQ Enhancement by default "
I don't want it turned on, it makes film grain look awful, I want to turn it off.
How?
Ah, that's what you mean.
Did you indeed see any difference then? We didn't.
And tbh: this is one of the examples where VU's changelog is somewhat cryptic. I have no idea what exactly they mean by this. Anyway: nothing we can do about it.