PDA

View Full Version : Brand new duo2 remote not working

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 13:58
Hi

My new Duo2 has just been delivered. From WoS with Vix image installed. I was going to put a hdd in it before I started but thought I'd try it first. I get the video input selection screen and it says press ok if you can see this page on your tv. I press ok but nothing happens. The up/down buttons do nothing either. I've tried with HDMI and Scart cable, no difference. All there is plugged in now, is a power cable and a scart lead and it's saying the next input will be probed in 20 seconds. The vfd says select video with up/down buttons. The red tv light on the remote comes on but it doesn't do anything.

Please don't tell me it's faulty - I've already returned an Ultimo a few weeks ago as that wouldn't flash.:confused:

Thanks in advance.

marty
31-03-14, 14:17
Battery's ?

Maxwell
31-03-14, 14:20
remote mode ?

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 14:29
Hi
New batteries that came with the remote. The light is coming on when buttons are pressed. I've tried different modes with pressing 2 and 7, then help and 0001, 0002, 0003 and 0004. I just can't get the remote to do anything :confused:
Thanks

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 15:34
Firstly, any help would be really appreciated.

So, could it be a faulty machine? Faulty remote? Something I'm doing wrong? Could re-flashing fix it?

This is 2 Vu+ machines in a fortnight that I haven't got to boot successfully even once :confused::confused: I'm slowly losing the will to live...

Sicilian
31-03-14, 18:11
Hi New batteries that came with the remote. The light is coming on when buttons are pressed. I've tried different modes with pressing 2 and 7, then help and 0001, 0002, 0003 and 0004. I just can't get the remote to do anything :confused: Thanks

Remote code should be set to mode 2.

nsw9154
31-03-14, 18:33
but if his Remote Control is not working how could he possibly set it :confused:

DaMacFunkin
31-03-14, 19:05
move it to a different room and try to set it up, you may have something that is interferring with that remote frequency, once it is set up you can then try and change the code of the reciever and the remote and move it back into the room, i had this years ago with a jvc svhs recorder that didn't like something else.

Rob van der Does
31-03-14, 19:32
but if his Remote Control is not working how could he possibly set it :confused:
You can always use the RC in the web-interface (browser on PC.

Have a look via a camera at the IR-LED on top of the R/C and see if it lights when you push a button.

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 20:22
Hi
It is set to mode 2. I've tried it in a different room, just the same. The 'tv' light comes on when I press a button so it has power.

I've tried re-flashing but that doesn't work either. I have a 8Gb Kingston datatraveller stick, formatted fat32, with the folders and files in the right place, but the box won't have it. It sees the stick and says 'update' in the vfd, but pressing the power button does nothing. I've downloaded the hp format utility and the teracopy prog and used them and it made no difference.

It must be me. I used to think I was quite computer savvy, but this is 2 different vu+ machines in a fortnight that I'm not able to flash. I've flashed loads of things in the past without any trouble - are vu+ machines particularly temperamental?

I've been at it since mid-day now and I'm thoroughly jacked off. I specifically bought it from WoS becuase it was pre-flashed, too - it never crossed my mind that the remote wouldn't work :confused:

Not sure where to go now, any ideas, anyone please?

Thanks for help up to now.

Larry-G
31-03-14, 20:28
Hi
It is set to mode 2. I've tried it in a different room, just the same. The 'tv' light comes on when I press a button so it has power.

did you press the STB button ( top right ), because if the TV button illuminates when you press a button on the remote it's still in TV mode.

Maxwell
31-03-14, 20:29
when trying to flash are you pressing the button on the machine and not the remote to confirm flash

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 20:34
Hi Phoenix
The tv button always lights up, whatever button I press. In fact, the only buttons that don't light the tv button when I press them, are the tv button itself and the av button.
Thanks

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 20:38
Yeah, I'm pressing the power button behind the flap on the right, Maxwell, thanks.

Larry-G
31-03-14, 20:38
sorry mate but i have never used the newer style remote, but on the older one you have TV and STB modes, if the TV button lights up it means it's in TV remote and you have to first press the STB button to put it into STB mode.

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 20:41
Well there is nothing in the manual about the remote, apart from what the buttons are for. There's no mention of different modes (for different vu machines) or putting it in STB mode. The tv button is the only one with a light as far as I can tell.

Maxwell
31-03-14, 20:48
the remote for my ultimo is the same and all but TV and AV illuminates the TV button.

Try Resetting the remote by

long pressing 1+6 until tv button illuminates, then short press 9 9 6

Then set the remote using the long press 2+7 short press help then enter 0002 and press OK

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 20:55
Done that Maxwell, no change. Will this (or any) remote have been needed to install Vix before it was sent out?

Larry-G
31-03-14, 20:56
no the remote control plays no part in the installation of a image.

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 21:05
Right, reason I asked is becuase the language has already been set to English and I thought that was part of the setup process and a remote might have been needed.

I emailed the shop earlier and I was advised to try re-flashing, also which I haven't been able to do. If the box recognises the stick, does that mean it should load from it? 5 different sticks are all recognised but tapping or holding down the power button does nothing.

Andy_Hazza
31-03-14, 21:09
Power button behind the flap on the front of the box?

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 21:13
Yeah, the one next to the card slots.

Andy_Hazza
31-03-14, 21:19
You haven't got any other usb stick(s) in rear while trying to flash have you?

Maxwell
31-03-14, 21:20
lets just get back to basics here

1. what OS is on the PC you use to copy the update file to usb and did you use the same pc to format the stick.
2. Are you using safe eject before removing the stick from the PC or just pulling it out of the port.
3. what is the file structure on the stick after you have transferred the image file to it.

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 21:21
No mate, and I've tried flashing from all 3 usb ports.

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 21:26
It's an old dell laptop with Windows 7 Maxwell. And, yes, I just pulled the stick out a few seconds after the transfer was done. There is a vuplus folder and inside that, a duo2 folder and the files are in there.

Maxwell
31-03-14, 21:36
ok try download minitool partition wizard, once you have it installed put your stick in and run the partition wizard, delete the partition on the usb then create a new one and format as FAT 32 once finished copy the update folder to the usb and leave it in there a couple of minutes and then eject it properly using safe removal.

USB stick needs to be USB1 or USB2 some USB3 can cause problems

make sure the DUO2 has had power off for at least 5 minutes then insert the usb into the front slot and power on with the rear switch, as soon as it sees the usb immediately press the power button behind the flap. do not touch anything for about 5 mins ish

Fuzzy
31-03-14, 22:30
I did all that to the letter Maxwell and still no luck - thanks very much though. I've been at this for 11 hours now and I've had enough - it isn't happening, for whatever reason.

I'll email the shop again and see what they say. Thanks for everyone's help, I'm most grateful.

Rob van der Does
01-04-14, 06:44
What did the camera trick learn you?

Fuzzy
01-04-14, 09:15
I'm not sure exactly what the 'camera trick' is mate? I'm open to ideas though. Anyway, update. Late last night I decided to try prepping the stick on my old pc upstairs that has xp on - it flashed first time, no problem. I saw 'finished' and it rebooted. When it got to the video select screen though, the remote still didn't work. I tried flashing again this morning, again successfully, but still no working remote.

irishchris
01-04-14, 10:08
I'm not sure exactly what the 'camera trick' is mate? I'm open to ideas though. Anyway, update. Late last night I decided to try prepping the stick on my old pc upstairs that has xp on - it flashed first time, no problem. I saw 'finished' and it rebooted. When it got to the video select screen though, the remote still didn't work. I tried flashing again this morning, again successfully, but still no working remote.

Use a digital camera to observe the infared led at the very top of the remote. You should see it light up red when any button is pressed. Not visible to the human eye directly but by using a digital camera you can

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Fuzzy
01-04-14, 10:32
Thanks, just done that and I can see the ir light on my phone camera when I press a button. So the remote is sending out something. The receiver isn't seeing it though, for some reason...

Larry-G
01-04-14, 10:38
Have you left the protective film over the front of the receiver ?, especially over the IR sensor ?, if so try removing it and see if that makes a difference.

Rob van der Does
01-04-14, 10:40
So you don't read what we write when trying to help you :confused:
See here. (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?36830-Brand-new-duo2-remote-not-working&p=279154&viewfull=1#post279154)

Fuzzy
01-04-14, 10:47
Sorry Rob, I didn't know what you meant and I was struggling to re-flash when you suggested it. I appreciate your help mate, really. I haven't used a vu box before and I don't know what a web interface is tbh.
I removed the plastic film when I first unpacked it Phoenix.
Thanks, Steve

Larry-G
01-04-14, 10:51
well the web interface is not important at this moment in time considering that you cant set up your network mounts via the FIW ( first install wizard ).

Fuzzy
01-04-14, 10:55
Ah right, ok. I have a FoxSat receiver that has a web interface, thinking about it, so I sort of know what you mean. Looks like it will have to go back then - gutted! :(

SmithOnline
26-11-15, 22:59
I have this exact same issue currently I factory reset box then remote would no longer work so I have downloaded latest vix image and flashed box still same remote wont work! :mad:

My box is the vu duo2 same

EDIT

luckily I have a harmony one remote and this works on it but the original vu+ remote it is not working looking into this i have found
http://vuplus.com/board/boardView.php?idx=20&pagenum=1

SmithOnline
27-11-15, 00:01
fixed it! it was 2+7 then press help then enter 0002

i was pressing 002 missing the zero :mad:

fixed :)