PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Uno] Software Update - A background update check is in progress

sanazz
28-03-14, 17:32
Browsed the forum for this issue, but nothing seems to solve it.

I have this message every time I go to Software Update.
My box is on Fixed IP but Network seems working fine. I mean, Softcam, FTP and OpenWebif all OK.
Switched off from back panel, and on again. Still same problem.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Martincape
28-03-14, 17:42
Can you install plugins from the feeds? If not you have a virus.

sanazz
28-03-14, 17:47
when I go to Download plugins, it says "No new plugins found"

so I guess I have a virus and only a reflash can solve this, right?
and...any ideas how this virus came into be, or maybe how to prevent it in the future?

Thanks again

Martincape
28-03-14, 17:54
When I had it. I could see the available plugins to download, but it wouldn't actually download them.

I have no idea how I got it. I assumed it was through port forwarding and trying to stream etc. So now all that's switched off and it's been good ever since.

But if you do have the virus, it can live in your router too. I had to reflash the box, and leave the router switched off for half an hour, that sorted it all.

sanazz
28-03-14, 18:13
I don't have Port Forwarding on the box, but I have its Fixed IP set as DMZ on the router. I guess that is a form of Port Forwarding.
Disable streaming is not an option for me unfortunately.

I have to admit though, that after flashing Zeus 009, I left OpenWebif without authentication for about 24 hours, so that could be the reason for the virus (if it is a virus)

Unless anyone else have other solutions, I guess I will have to reflash with the latest build.

Thanks

ronand
28-03-14, 18:20
Delete all the files in /var/lib/opkg/lists

Also reboot your router

sanazz
28-03-14, 18:39
no files in that folder mate. also, router rebooted several times

judge
28-03-14, 18:43
Has wget been renamed on the box?
Telnet in & issue that command, you'll then know if you have this virus or not...

sanazz
28-03-14, 18:53
telnetting wget returns 'not found', and its not in usr/bin/ either. So I guess that's it. I read the other thread in the meantime ;)

Sooo...getting rid of this virus:
1. Reflashing the box
2. Changing passwords and allow authentication straight away
3. Keeping router off for half an hour or so

Are these steps enough?

Thanks

judge
28-03-14, 19:01
Never had the virus myself, so I can't be sure...
As far as I know, something on your network has the virus & is renaming wget on your box.
You could rename /usr/bin/-wget to /usr/bin/wget & run the software update then, however you'll still need to find where the virus is, probably your modem/router & fix that before it happens again.

sanazz
28-03-14, 19:30
thanks judge, but I don't have -wget either. Apparently the file was not renamed but completely deleted.
I found wget in an alternative folder and copied that to /usr/bin, rebooted, but the software update still did not go through.
I'm not sure whether this is the right file to put there or not

abu baniaz
28-03-14, 23:57
Is reflashing/factory resetting your router an option?

Martincape
29-03-14, 00:42
Is reflashing/factory resetting your router an option?

Yea I forgot to mention that. I can't reflash router, but I reset factory settings then left turned off for half hour. Then set up box without internet connection. Saved all the internet stuff till last.

I forgot to mention the wget file. That's the tell tale of the virus. Aidira virus of so etching I think it's called.

sanazz
29-03-14, 07:58
I can't reflash router either, it has an ISP dedicated firmware.

Anyways, will have to do as @Martincape suggested when I return on Tuesday and will report accordingly.

Thanks all for your help. :)

salah100
29-03-14, 14:51
I had the same problem I reflashed fresh and port a password on user: root

Let us know if that works

It worked for me

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

sanazz
01-04-14, 11:25
so, reflashed with build 16, software update now works as wget is in /usr/bin again. updated to build 18. openwebif is 'with authentication' from the start.
everything looks fine. i have switched router off for about 15 minutes. Just hope the virus is not resident in my router.
thanks for all your feedback.