PDA

View Full Version : Copy files to USB

sivhead
09-11-10, 20:57
Is it possible to copy files from my PC (picons) over the network to my USB key which is plugged into the back of the VUplus box.

The reason I ask is it a pain in the backside to remove the USB key from the back of the VU+ everytime I want to update the picons.

silverfox0786
09-11-10, 21:03
yes it is first you need to mount the usb on the vu to media/usb then use a ftp program to log into box and then navigate to media usb

dreate a folder called picon and put them there

the procedures mentioned above if you are unsure how to do they are all explained on this forum i will try find the threads and post them for you in the mean time a search wil find them

deckymckeown
10-11-10, 14:30
I too have a similar problem sivhead, where i cant get write access to the USB connected to the rear of the duo, to transfer movie files etc, and i have to remove it from the duo and plug into pc again to transfer files onto it. Pain in the ar*e like you say, and i dont think i got an answer to it on my previous post.

basically i can see the drive and the files etc on the drive when i connect via ftp, but cant transfer files onto the drive as it says write access not allowed, or words to that effect. I have also tried changing the chmod attributes to 755 but still have the same problem.

Is this the problem your having? i will of course try what silverfox has advised later, but as i say i can already see the drive and files via ftp, but perhaps mounting the drive will allow this write access??

Sicilian
10-11-10, 14:32
Have you guys tried using the Filebrowser plugin to copy the file to USB stick?

deckymckeown
10-11-10, 14:41
yes sicilian ive tied that plugin but not working for me mate, i get the same problem where write access is not allowed

acco
10-11-10, 14:42
I've just 10 mins ago put my usb stick in to the back of my duo no problem and done the picon icons.

It was pretty simple, after putting in the back of the stb it was a matter of going in to the menu formatting the flashdrive and within the same menu pressing the button to mount drive as sdl1 what ever. Then it was a matter of ftp'ing over to the sd1 folder on the duo and dropping the icons in the picon folder.
Also setup the skin & point the picons to the flash drive, I done that first tbh.

deckymckeown
10-11-10, 15:21
thanks acco, but i cant format the drive as i have loads of movies etc already on the drive that i want to keep. As i say i can already see the drive via ftp and all the files and folders etc and can see and access the files from the media player within the menu.

But i cant create for example a picon folder, or transfer a video file via ftp to this drive, i first have to plug it back into PC and create the folder or transfer file, which is a bit of a nuisance really.

Perhaps by mounting the drive as you both have advised may resolve this problem, i will try later , but as i say i dont really want to format the drive again either

sivhead
10-11-10, 22:06
thanks everyone. I am using open pli so little did I know it was already mounted by default. so I just needed to ftp://vuplus/media/usb (the issue was I could not see it in network neighborhood like a can the hard disk, and after I initialized th usb there was no menu to mount it.

Allthough something else I learned today that the latest dreambox edit copies it all for you so need need to mess around with the filenames anymore for picons...

Anyway all sorted now thanks everyone for the input.

deckymckeown
11-11-10, 11:37
I have now checked mount settings, and it seems that my USB is already mounted to /sdb1, which i pressume is the way it should be. As i say, i can see the drive in the media player and play the files etc, but still cant transfer anything to it via ftp!

Tried file browser again and still same results.... Anyone else got any ideas about why i may not have write access to this drive when plugged into the duo? I have also set the chmod attributes to 755, still same result.

acco
11-11-10, 13:09
Why not temporary copy your files from usb on to PC and then try formatting the usb on the duo and see if that helps.

deckymckeown
12-11-10, 13:21
thats my last resort acco but that seems like what i may have to do. Problem is that i have around 300gb of files on this USB drive, so its gonna be a bit of a pain, but sure if thats what needs to be done, then so be it.

acco
13-11-10, 02:26
wow I did not think the drive you were going on about was so big, try chkdsk & defragging your HD before mounting the drive and see if that helps.
Apparently write support for NTFS in linux is slow and resource hungry and could be a clue to your problem with such a big drive??

deckymckeown
13-11-10, 18:07
could be acco, thanks for the input. Havent taken the plunge yet to start copying the files and format, but will prob have to!!