PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Installing "Skins and Picons"

tomos
21-03-14, 12:08
Quick question is there a guide on how to install Skins & Picons?

Duo2 box

abu baniaz
21-03-14, 13:48
Menu > Plugins > Green (for Download)
You can only save picons to storage mediums that are in linux file system. Fastest location is internal flash. The Duo2 has plenty of it.

Once you have installed the skin, you have to select it.
Menu > Setup > System > User Setup > Skin Setup

A reboot will be required.

I shall attempt to move your thread. You are asking for support on the image, so thread belongs in the image support section. No harm done, just bear in mind for future.

tomos
22-03-14, 14:31
Hi Abu,

Thanks for your reply, can you recommend a set of picons?

abu baniaz
22-03-14, 14:39
Try a few until you find one you like most.

Ocram, nephilm, mmcmedia, rats,

netguy46
24-03-14, 17:18
hi guys how do i put rats picons on vix image i have latest image can i put them on my hdd and how do i do it cheers

abu baniaz
24-03-14, 17:36
Worst place to put it is the HDD.

As with any picon pack, they can go in a folder called "picon" on the root of the internal memory, or USB flash drive.

netguy46
24-03-14, 17:38
so i use dcc and go to picons and put them there

abu baniaz
24-03-14, 18:28
Sort of. You are unlikely to have a folder already called picon.
Folder must be called "picon" and the little pictures must be in there. No other folders in it.

Following locations are wrong:
picon/picon
picons
Picon

Any ftp program will do. If you use DCC, then that is fine.

EDIT:
An examaple with USB as storage device.

netguy46
24-03-14, 18:32
cheers am trying the image came from bh see what this one like can u change bootlog too and if so where i find different bootlog images thanks

abu baniaz
24-03-14, 18:38
Best not to ask different issues in one thread. Makes searches and finding solution for others difficult. You found this thread becasue title said skin and picons.

See this section
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?168-Linux-Receiver-Bootlogo-s

avi68
27-03-14, 09:27
Worst place to put it is the HDD.

As with any picon pack, they can go in a folder called "picon" on the root of the internal memory, or USB flash drive.

Hi,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but i have a question regarding the storage of picons. When you say it's not a good idea to store in the hdd, why is that? Because I have set up PTS and therefore the harddrive is always spinning when the box is running. I also have a swap file, so that must mean that the hdd is in constant use. Only when the box is in standby the hdd is off.

Thanks

marty
27-03-14, 10:18
Hi,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but i have a question regarding the storage of picons. When you say it's not a good idea to store in the hdd, why is that? Because I have set up PTS and therefore the harddrive is always spinning when the box is running. I also have a swap file, so that must mean that the hdd is in constant use. Only when the box is in standby the hdd is off.

Thanks

If you have PTS on then I don't see why not put your picons on the HDD (I did it this way for 2+ years with no issues)
These days I have mine on a USB stick only because I found I didn't use PTS so it seemed a waste to have it enabled :)

avi68
27-03-14, 11:30
If you have PTS on then I don't see why not put your picons on the HDD (I did it this way for 2+ years with no issues)
These days I have mine on a USB stick only because I found I didn't use PTS so it seemed a waste to have it enabled :)

Thank you for your reply!

Just one more question, where can I find the picons and where do I put them?

abu baniaz
27-03-14, 13:16
Yes, if HDD is in use then that is fine. Internal flash is still fastest.

The image will look for a folder called picon on any storage device. There is also a specific location on internal memory, but this is in addition to the root of internal memory.

If you manually download, eg from a website, transfer to storage device by whatever method suits you. FTP is simplest.

You can also download through plugin menu. Storage options listed will be those that are in Linux file system.

avi68
27-03-14, 14:17

The image will look for a folder called picon on any storage device. There is also a specific location on internal memory, but this is in addition to the root of internal memory.

If you manually download, eg from a website, transfer to storage device by whatever method suits you. FTP is simplest.

You can also download through plugin menu. Storage options listed will be those that are in Linux file system.

The only problem is I can't use the internal memory as my duo suffers from a memory leak and also it doesn't have enough flash memory.

I used the plugin menu to download a picon set however there are so many, which one should I choose?

I ended up downloading sandmans picon set however there seems to be many missing picons e.g: Nickelodeon +1 , sky showcase, film4hd

Is there a specific one I should download and also do these update the selves when the name of the channel changes?

abu baniaz
27-03-14, 15:11
You can try Ocrams, mmcmedia, rats.

I use Lraizer's autobouquets. It has autopicons. That keeps my picons up to date barring new channels.

Rob van der Does
27-03-14, 16:19
The only problem is I can't use the internal memory as my duo suffers from a memory leak and also it doesn't have enough flash memory.
You confuse flash with RAM: picons go to flash and a memory leak (if any) affects RAM.

Anyway: even though the DUO is a bit low on flash, you must have installed quite a lot if picons don't fit any more. Especially a well organised package (such as Ocram) isn't very big, as they use symlinks.

avi68
27-03-14, 16:20
You can try Ocrams, mmcmedia, rats.

I use Lraizer's autobouquets. It has autopicons. That keeps my picons up to date barring new channels.

I've loaded ocrams. Thanks for that Abu!

I use the normal abm. If one channel name changes, how can I update the picons? Reinstall the same picon in plugins or....? I'm not sure how it works?

Thanks

Rob van der Does
27-03-14, 16:22
If Ocram is properly installed it will show as an available update when there is one.

avi68
27-03-14, 16:24
You confuse flash with RAM: picons go to flash and a memory leak (if any) affects RAM.

Anyway: even though the DUO is a bit low on flash, you must have installed quite a lot if picons don't fit any more. Especially a well organised package (such as Ocram) isn't very big, as they use symlinks.

Ohhhh....sorry about that, still a noob :confused:

This is the first time I have ever stored picons on my box, and by the way I'm using my hdd. I installed sandmans picons first but then I deleted them, and now I have ocrams installed. So there should be nothing on the flash (I hope);)

avi68
27-03-14, 16:27
If Ocram is properly installed it will show as an available update when there is one.

Is it that the same as when I get a software update (flashing green icon) ?

Rob van der Does
27-03-14, 16:27
The telnet command

df -h
will tell you how much flash is in use.

Rob van der Does
27-03-14, 16:37
Is it that the same as when I get a software update (flashing green icon) ?
Yep .

avi68
27-03-14, 18:00
The telnet command

df -h
will tell you how much flash is in use.

Thanks for that Rob! :)

ubi0:rootfs has used 64%. Everything else is 0% except the hdd ofcourse.
I hope that figure is along the correct level?

Rob van der Does
27-03-14, 18:12
so you have plenty of room for picons in flash!

nsw9154
27-03-14, 19:25
been trying to load picons in to my solo2 but they don't seem to work i got them from the site not really sure who's picons i just looked for 28.2 east here is a screen shot

what am i doing wrong should i delete them and try something else

judge
27-03-14, 19:30
They need to be in a folder called picon, not picons

Rob van der Does
27-03-14, 19:30
I can't read it, but folder name should be 'picon'.

nsw9154
27-03-14, 19:40
Thank you all for pointing that out i will delete it do a fresh reboot and re enter it as picon :thumbsup:

abu baniaz
27-03-14, 20:42
No need to delete, just rename the folder.

nsw9154
27-03-14, 21:07
i realized that abu i just deleted the s :)

wanted to load the ocrams picons but it only gives the option of internal flash or internal HD how do i download them to my USB stick please :confused:

abu baniaz
27-03-14, 21:08
i realized that abu i just deleted the s :)

wanted to load the ocrams picons but it only gives the option of internal flash or internal HD how do i download them to my USB stick please :confused:
Answer is in last sentence of post 14.

nsw9154
27-03-14, 21:47

Thank you abu i did not see that post i have downloaded ocram picons they look great Thanks again

abu baniaz
27-03-14, 21:55
Glad you are sorted.

nsw9154
27-03-14, 22:10
I Decided to load them in to the internal flash saves messing about with USB Drives :D

abu baniaz
27-03-14, 22:35
If you want to use flash drive, you will have to initialise/convert it to ext file sytem.

nsw9154
27-03-14, 23:04
OK abu changed usb to ext4