PDA

View Full Version : Problems uploading image

Fuzzy
18-03-14, 19:14
Hi

Newbie alert! My Ultimo (my first vu+ box) arrived today and I thought I was going to enjoy myself setting it up. All I have managed to do is put it in some sort of 'boot loop'. It booted up ok the first time I switched it on, with the original image. Then I tried to install the Vix image. It seemed to work ok - I got the message to remove the usb stick, so I switched it off at the back, removed the stick and switched it back on. It boots for a few seconds but the vfd screen just says VU+. The output to the tv is a blue screen. It stays like this for a while, then resets itself after about 10 minutes and tries again - and keeps doing that.

I've tried the blackhole image and the original one (several times). They all seem to go on ok, but when it boots up, it never gets past the VU+ screen. I've tried 3 different memory sticks, too, plus the usb ports at the back. I didn't get as far as setting the network up, so I can't flash from a pc, can I?

Could the machine be faulty or is it more likely to be something I've done wrong?

Thanks very much in advance.

Rob van der Does
18-03-14, 19:22
About 'I got the message to remove the usb stick': you're not supposed to get that at all; the box should reboot automatically. Which version of ViX did you try to install?

Larry-G
18-03-14, 19:26
Have you tried using a different USB stick ?.

Maxwell
18-03-14, 19:33
format the usb stick as FAT32,
download the latest Ultimo image from here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/

Copy the vuplus folder from the zip file to the root of the USB stick
power off the receiver and wait 5 mins then insert USB and power on
USB should be read and flashed - box should restart automatically when finished

Fuzzy
18-03-14, 19:37
Hi, thanks for your reply. It was the blackhole image that gave me the message about removing the stick, the vix image just rebooted the box. The vix image was the latest one off here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/enigma2/openvix/index.php?dir=Vu%2BUltimo/ (March 17th)

Thanks

Larry-G
18-03-14, 19:37
you can also get a full flashing tutorial for this receiver from our guides and tutorials section on www.openvix.co.uk.

Rob van der Does
18-03-14, 19:43
the vix image just rebooted the box.
OK, that means that the box itself thinks that flashing went fine.
Now the only option to learn what is wrong, is to make a bootlog. You'll need an Rs232 connection for that and a program like 'Putty'.

Fuzzy
18-03-14, 20:05
Right, I did exactly what Maxwell suggested, and it still won't boot. The display says 'starting' this time though, rather than the vu+ symbol. The only time this box has ever booted successfully was the first time I switched it on.:confused:

Should the vfd say flash0 avail0 at the top whilst it's flashing?

Thanks

Fuzzy
18-03-14, 20:25
I don't have a hdd installed yet - would that make a difference? I've tried it with and without lnb cables plugged in. I only have the power cable and hdmi plugged in now.

Thanks

Maxwell
18-03-14, 20:28
what shows up on the tv ?

Fuzzy
18-03-14, 20:37
It flickers a bit, then I get a blue screen.

Maxwell
18-03-14, 20:40
have you got a different hdmi cable to use, also make sure it is fully plugged in. Obviously fully power off before changing the cable.
By the way what happens if you put it in standby with the remote power button ?

Fuzzy
18-03-14, 20:50
Tried a different hdmi cable, no change. I noticed that the display is 576P?? The remote control does nothing - it's like the box has locked up.

Could the box be faulty? It is off fleabay :(

I appreciate your help Maxwell, thanks.

Maxwell
18-03-14, 20:59
its possible its faulty of course, give me a few mins am just going to check something on my Ultimo

Maxwell
18-03-14, 21:22
ok just done a full flash on my Ultimo with no probs, maybe the file you are flashing may be corrupt somehow, try a different USB stick preferably USB 2 rather than 3 and smaller than 4Gb - also on the TV turn off anything to do with HDMI CEC

Fuzzy
18-03-14, 21:40
Ok, I tried again with the hdmi cable unplugged, just the same. If I leave the stick in when it reboots, it says 'starting', but when it boots without a stick in, I get the VU+ screen.

I've tried 2 different 1G sticks and a 4G one. Is it worth buying another? The box seems to detect and read the sticks ok.

I'll message the guy I bought it from tomorrow, see what he has to say.

Thanks again Maxwell :)

Maxwell
18-03-14, 21:51
you got a link to where you bought it ?

Fuzzy
18-03-14, 21:58
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maxwell
18-03-14, 22:01
seems ok - something bugging me is the fact you get the message to remove USB, as Rob said earlier you should not see that

Fuzzy
18-03-14, 22:15
Sorry Maxwell, that was the blackhole image. I tried that when I couln't get the vix image on.
I tried with the original image too. They all seemed to go on ok, but the box never got past
the first loading screen.

Rob van der Does
19-03-14, 05:20
Sounds like a faulty box. Only way to be sure is to make a bootlog.

Fuzzy
19-03-14, 08:57
I haven't set the networking up on the box (as I can't get it to boot up) so I can't use putty or anything like that can I?

It would seem that I have a faulty box. I'll post the outcome of my attempt to 'resolve' the situation on fleabay.

I did actually buy an Ultimo from here (world of satellite .co .uk) but the cash was refunded 20 minutes later because it was 'out of stock'! So I did try :)

Thanks for everyone's help up to now :)

seame
19-03-14, 09:50
Check if your router has allocated an IP to the box.

Could it be a clone? Is there such a thing as a clone ultimo?

Larry-G
19-03-14, 16:56
The ultimo is out of stock with the sponsor as Vu+ have discontinued this model in favor of the Duo2.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Fuzzy
19-03-14, 18:23
Right, the seller reckons the bootloader is 'messed up' and wants me to flash through RS232 port. I'll need a null-modem cable, which is no big deal, but would that mean I'd always have to flash through RS232? How has the bootloader become 'messed up' anyway? (I have asked the seller these questions but he hasn't responded yet).
My router hasn't given the box an ip address, and you need to connect to a network as well as RS232 don't you, so would this way even work?
Thanks in advance again, Steve

marty
19-03-14, 18:26
Don't think you will be able to flash via RS232 if the bootloader is damaged :confused:

Larry-G
19-03-14, 18:34
There is no way to flash the bootloader via a RS232 cable, if you cant do it via USB stick the only other recourse is via a JIG kit which is not so easy if you dont know what your doing, added to the fact that there is no publicly available bootloader update for the Vu+ Ultimo, only the one it came pre-loaded with at the factory.

Fuzzy
19-03-14, 20:04
It's going back. He seemed ok about it but what happens next will prove if he is really ok...
Thanks for everyone's help, it's been most appreciated.
Steve

Rob van der Does
21-03-14, 06:19
I haven't set the networking up on the box (as I can't get it to boot up) so I can't use putty or anything like that can I?
Yes, you can: a bootlog is done via a serial cable.
Anyway: too late now....