PDA

View Full Version : recording failed

chrcoluk
16-03-14, 06:05
scenario

timer set to record f1 quali

streamed it to my pc as was awake to watch live anyway, also put on tv.

So was playing on tv, pc and should have been recording with 2 tuners.

So is the box intelligent enough to share a feed with recording and a stream/tv?

Rob van der Does
16-03-14, 11:07
We have no idea about the image you're using and about your set up, so the best we can do is guessing. And as that's not very useful, we don't.....

chrcoluk
16-03-14, 22:35
well I have posted in the past and I am on the vix site posting in the solo2 section?

But here it is I am on vix the version supplied by the uk sponsor on a solo2 box.

thanks.

what do you need to know about my setup to give an educated guess?

judge
16-03-14, 22:44
well I have posted in the past and I am on the vix site posting in the solo2 section?

But here it is I am on vix the version supplied by the uk sponsor on a solo2 box.

You can't really expect folks to remember your previous posts stating image & build number.
Also 'the version supplied by the uk sponsor' really means nothing as the image is updated all the time, so if it was a year ago, a lot has changed since then.

As much info as possible is required for any support request.

chrcoluk
19-03-14, 17:09
as far as I know I am on latest stable vix but I cant be sure, does a different minor build of vix really reflect the possibilities here?

also it has only happened once, I tried to repeat the problem, by watching, streaming channels same time as recording but the recording worked.

chrcoluk
17-04-14, 02:18
I think a new feature is needed, the reason for failed recording should be listed, surely is common sense to add it?

doing some house cleaning on my box and I see 6 movies failed to record. Just says failed, no reason given.

DaMacFunkin
17-04-14, 07:37
Unless you provide your version number the powers that be can't determine whether or not it is a bug in a previous build that has sorted itself... I'll have a few guesses for you, you don't have recordings set to have priority over everything else, so streaming and watching is taking priority instead. Second guess your hard drive is not waking or is faulty.

Maxwell
17-04-14, 08:02
Lets see if we can help you 33930

IAmATeaf
17-04-14, 09:57
He's added the info to what looks like his sig?

DaMacFunkin
17-04-14, 10:14
But has he set recordings to take priority?

chrcoluk
04-05-14, 07:23
He's added the info to what looks like his sig?

thank you for pointing this out.

I have found the reason thanks to a bit of googling and testing and will post to help others, I think not knowing the exact build number isnt really an excuse to avoid providing an opinion, some people here seem overly fussy.

For the benefit of the community the cause was the setting of having the hard drive auto spin down when idle. Once I disabled this not a single failed recording.

and yes recordings are and have always been set to priority.

I have also now adjusted the settings to always record the ECM, as this seems more logical than the normal setting.

Rob van der Does
04-05-14, 07:27
Not sure what the issue is/was and why this would have cured it?
1- Auto spin down for an HDD should be fine.
2- Recording ECM makes only sense if you want to be able to decrypt the file later on. Only some Dreamboxes and Xtrends are capable of this.

chrcoluk
04-05-14, 07:30
Does recording the ECM help if say for some reason decryption failed during recording and then the box auto decrypt after on playback? your reply suggests on my box its pointless right? if so I will put back to normal.

Regarding my hdd maybe it takes too long to spin up, I dont know, but that setting was defenitly the fix for me.

Thanks.

Rob van der Does
04-05-14, 08:03
Does recording the ECM help if say for some reason decryption failed during recording and then the box auto decrypt after on playback?
Yes, that what it's meant for. But only some boxes are capable of that.

chrcoluk
06-05-14, 15:48
ok I have an update.

I recorded a show via the webif a few nights ago, I had to do 3 attempts because everytime I set it the start time was before the end time (no idea why, I wasnt manually entering the time but using the record icon on the web epg). I then got it working 3rd time by manually entering the time.

I then watched the recording from the web interface yesterday.

Today noticed on front of the box where channel name normally is "write error"

Checked the timers and that recording is listed as failed.

Now the recording that I had previously watched is gone. So the software marked it as failed after it had successfully recorded. It seems this problem may be related to webif as any recording I set via the box directly now works fine.

The answer to the obvious question, the hdd is not full.

As always details in my sig, although I do see yet another offline only update is out already, I will probably upgrade during the next few days.

Rob van der Does
06-05-14, 15:53
....I had to do 3 attempts because everytime I set it the start time was before the end time

Well, that's how it is supposed to be :confused:

As always details in my sig, although I do see yet another offline only update is out already, I will probably upgrade during the next few days.
Not sure what you mean: Zeus 19 is quite old now and not being updated at all :confused:

chrcoluk
06-05-14, 21:21
sorry I meant the end time was before the start time.

Well, that's how it is supposed to be :confused:

Not sure what you mean: Zeus 19 is quite old now and not being updated at all :confused:

I mean I will do the update to latest version which requires an offline update (via usb stick).

It shows how fast vix moves tho when a 30 day old release is considered 'quite old', as I downloaded it 3 april when it was the latest version, I see there is a new version released almost daily O_o, is lots of problems to fix?

Rob van der Does
06-05-14, 21:27
Nope, but development goes on, as you can see in our almost daily release notes.

chumley
11-05-14, 21:36
I am also getting failed recordings via Webif even if the recordings are way in the future, I had a bunch of failed recordings and have just upgraded to the latest Helios image and I can replicate. I am running a sponsor bought vuo duo2. Basically using the epg is fine but anything from Webif gives me a write error disk full message