PDA

View Full Version : Loud Humming Noise VuDuo2

faisalpandu
10-03-14, 22:22
Hi

I have purchased a new VuDuo2 from this very own website sellers :)

However I have an issue. I have a loud noise coming from box and dunno if its the HDD running or the Fan ??

I have installed a Seagate 2TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive
- SATA-III 3.5" Hard Drive
- 7200RPM 64MB Cache

I don't think its the Fan as installed the Fan Plugin 2 and set it to off and still have the noise. I am doing no recording as well.

How can I find out what it is and stop it? Its bugging me as cant watch the bloody telly?

Rob van der Does
10-03-14, 22:39
1- Very likely the fan. Not sure if ou made the config in fancontrol2 correct: does lowering PWM lower the RPM?
2- a 7200RPM HDD is not recommended for PVR use. It's far too fast, generating noise and heath. A dedicated (5400 or 5700 RPM) PVR-HDD or an 2.5" HDD is much better.

faisalpandu
10-03-14, 22:53
1- Very likely the fan. Not sure if ou made the config in fancontrol2 correct: does lowering PWM lower the RPM?

Where do you get the config for fan control. I have just set the config up in screen as below

Fan Type 4 Pin
Fan off in idle model yes
min speed rpm 600/1500
max speed rpm 1300/6000
static temp c 40/50
end temp c 50/55
intial voltage - 220/255
initial PWM 13/255

[QUOTE=2- a 7200RPM HDD is not recommended for PVR use. It's far too fast, generating noise and heath. A dedicated (5400 or 5700 RPM) PVR-HDD or an 2.5" HDD is much better. [/QUOTE]

I have hard disk standby after 5 minutes

Could you recommend a good 2.5 HDD preferably 2TB or even 1TB will do as well with the 5400, 5700 RPM and low noise

Faizal

Clabs
10-03-14, 22:58
My Duo2 is pretty silent but I had similar on my Duo. It would sometimes "hum" like mad. Turned out to be that the upper casing was not quite seated right and it wasn't hum, but the case resonating. I reseated that (and the HDD for good measure) and the problem was gone.

Might be worth a try.

faisalpandu
10-03-14, 23:00
My Duo2 is pretty silent but I had similar on my Duo. It would sometimes "hum" like mad. Turned out to be that the upper casing was not quite seated right and it wasn't hum, but the case resonating. I reseated that (and the HDD for good measure) and the problem was gone.

Might be worth a try.

What do you mean by casing not seated right. I do think that might be the case as when i took the case out to investigate what the noise could be and switched box on with no case it was quiet as a fiddle. HDD is installed in the slot and casing is in as it can be?

Clabs
10-03-14, 23:08
I meant the top cover - not the hdd cradle.

faisalpandu
10-03-14, 23:09

Might be worth a try.

Will having a hybrid PC on top of the vuduo2 and making the Duo2 sit in a tight space lead to an increase in noise

faisalpandu
10-03-14, 23:13
I think a 2,5 HDD will help less thin and with case so close it is resonating against it

Clabs
10-03-14, 23:15
It wont help at all buddy (having a pc on top!). Try powering it up without anything sitting on top of it and see if that helps.

On another note, the tuner modules on these boxes run very hot indeed so I would try to look at having some space around it.

Mine has a 5 1/2 samsung 5200 and very quiet.

faisalpandu
10-03-14, 23:32
I have bought a 2TB WD Green HDD from dabs which comes next week and this will hopefully be better. Taking PC out and not in a confined spaces make it go down a lot the noise but still there abit lol

Larry-G
10-03-14, 23:42
even with a cooling fan in the receiver you still want to site it in a area where it has a good bit of breathing room, to prevent overheating, especially if using one of the dual tuner cards as those can get very hot.

faisalpandu
11-03-14, 00:08
Cheers mate. I will see if i can move into a suitable area with more space and see if it helps

Clabs
11-03-14, 00:27
No worries buddy - it will help!

Don't forget that while looking to isolate the noise, you can unplug the fan, and then the hard disk, to see where the noise is coming from.

Post back with how you get on.

faisalpandu
11-03-14, 16:35
No worries buddy - it will help!

Don't forget that while looking to isolate the noise, you can unplug the fan, and then the hard disk, to see where the noise is coming from.

Post back with how you get on.

How can you unplug the fan will look to test today.

Rob van der Does
11-03-14, 16:39
No need: just open Fancontrol2 and lower PWM. You'll see the RPM going down (and so should the noise if it comes from the fan).

faisalpandu
11-03-14, 16:52
No need: just open Fancontrol2 and lower PWM. You'll see the RPM going down (and so should the noise if it comes from the fan).

Cheers mate will give it a go. I think it is the HDD and the casing as when i put the box in the cabinet this is when the noise humming increases.

faisalpandu
14-03-14, 00:01
Installed a 2.5 wd green 2 TB hdd and it is quiet as a mouse :) the seagate 3.5 2TB hdd was the issue :(

barend
21-03-14, 11:52
This is my first posting!
Although I am using the Vti instead of the Vix image, I hope there are interesting issues here for everybody!

I am having an irritating high tone coming from the left side of the box (viewed from front).
It could be the PSU, but I haven't come around to dismantling the Duo2.

These "PC style" psu's sometimes do that, but I suppose the "hum" could be different, and my guess is indeed the fan or the hdd.
My WD 3Tb is as quiet as a dead mouse ! :D