PDA

View Full Version : Sale of Goods

StuBFrost
09-03-14, 09:57
Good job for you the box was inside the year warranty as after that wos will only fix for a fee despite the sale of goods act saying items should be under warranty for up to 6 years.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Larry-G
09-03-14, 10:07
Good job for you the box was inside the year warranty as after that wos will only fix for a fee despite the sale of goods act saying items should be under warranty for up to 6 years.

Actually i think you find that under the law in the uk the standard warranty period is 1 year or 12 months, after that further cover it is at the sellers own discretion. if you dont believe me contact trading standards, also while were at it if the original buyer sells the item on to another party even if it's still within the first year the warranty is technically void.

StuBFrost
09-03-14, 10:09
No it isn't. Read the sale of goods act or do a search and you will find that goods have to last a reasonable amount of time based on what they are and their cost and that this can be up to 6 years.

Larry-G
09-03-14, 10:12
maybe from a manufacturer but as a seller you only have to provide a minimum 12 month warranty in the uk, if it fails after that you may contact the manufacturer but the seller is no longer obligated to provide warranty cover.

Maxwell
09-03-14, 10:22
No it isn't. Read the sale of goods act or do a search and you will find that goods have to last a reasonable amount of time based on what they are and their cost and that this can be up to 6 years.

Thats a very simplistic interpretation of SOGA, it does not state anywhere that warranty must be provided for 6 years it is also very dependent on the type and purpose of the goods.
Also although the consumers contract for any claim under SOGA is with the supplier, the supplier is covered by the manufacturer and it is at their discretion to repair or replace outside of the standard warranty period which is normally 1 year in the UK and 2 years for most of the EU.

Why come and spoil what was intended to be a thread about some exceptional service that the OP is obviously very pleased with, so much so that he took the time and effort to tell everyone about it.
And by the way shouting SOGA at retailers will almost always result in a negative response far better to be diplomatic about it.

StuBFrost
09-03-14, 10:28
I did say up to 6 years and depending on what it is and the cost. I know consumer rights quite well having used the small claims court several times against companies and individuals.

My reason for spoiling the thread, wos refused to repair a less than 2 year ultimo stating the one year warranty despite the cost and I think people need to know that it's not all rosy with them.

Larry-G
09-03-14, 10:43
I did say up to 6 years and depending on what it is and the cost. I know consumer rights quite well having used the small claims court several times against companies and individuals.

My reason for spoiling the thread, wos refused to repair a less than 2 year ultimo stating the one year warranty despite the cost and I think people need to know that it's not all rosy with them.

as has been said multiple times, your only entitled to a 12 month warranty in the UK, if you feel hard done by contact the UK distributor of VU+ and see what they say about it but WOS is under no obligation to honor warranties outside of the mandatory 12 month period, now please stop spoiling this thread, if you have a gripe post it in it's own thread instead of hijacking others.

StuBFrost
09-03-14, 10:47
You are so wrong about the warranty and it's wrong to mislead people about their consumer rights.

At this point I'll bow out of the discussion in case I further upset the forum sponsor.

Larry-G
09-03-14, 10:49
I'm not the forum sponsor but you'r sprouting crap and frankly spoiling some one elses thread. if you have a gripe take it up with the appropriate channels, hijacking some one elses thread is not the correct way to go about that.

wullboy
09-03-14, 10:56
Everybody is entitle to their opinion stubfrost m8, and yes goods must be " fit for purpose " and i`m also a great believe in " you cant please all the people all of the time m8 " but if a manufacturing company only gives you a " 1 years guarantee," then why should the selling agent be responsible for the good once that warrant it up, when they only sell goods on behalf of the manufacturer, sorry m8 but your got going to get anybody on THIS site slatting stef, he is one of the most sincere and honest guys ive ever came across, and ive known him from the cable scene, so yes you are entitle to your say m8, but you should have started your own thread on this matter then, and then you would have seen the reaction from this site... [ well that`s my opinion m8 ] cheers !!

marty
09-03-14, 10:58
Maybe this thread should be cleaned up and locked?

StuBFrost
09-03-14, 11:12
None of what I have said is opinion. It is UK consumer law. You show me where in the sale of goods act that I am wrong.

wullboy
09-03-14, 11:25
lol... most goods nowadays dont last 6 years m8, i work for a catering manufaturer, and they will not entertain any warranty after the 1 year has expired, and they have never been taken to a court of law about any of their goods m8, it is very very hard to prove something is not fit for purpose, and that is why a 1 year warranty is given with goods, as that proves the goods are fit for purpose, or they would be given out 2 year or 3 year warranty, and as i`m out and about fixing these goods i see for myself that a lot of goods will fail at sometime in there life span, so there has to be a cut-off point in that life span, and thats the reason manufactures give out warrants as they must prove their goods are FIT FOR PURPOSE..... !!

Rob van der Does
09-03-14, 11:58
..... which is normally 1 year in the UK and 2 years for most of the EU.
LOL..... shall we change that to read "which is normally 1 year in the UK and 2 years for most other of the EU"

zola25
09-03-14, 17:18
Yup 2 years here in Denmark so if people are worried about only 1 years warranty the answer is simple order from a country where you get 2 years.But even though we get 2 years here i still ordered from WOS
because it was cheaper and because of the level of service

pooface
09-03-14, 18:10
Yup 2 years here in Denmark so if people are worried about only 1 years warranty the answer is simple order from a country where you get 2 years.But even though we get 2 years here i still ordered from WOS
because it was cheaper and because of the level of service

One thing to remember when ordering from another country though... To take advantage of the warranty, you will need to pay to send the receiver back to the country where you purchased it from... So, if you have a problem with your box, you would have to pay to send it back to UK for WOS to repair it... So, what you saved purchasing from here, if you have any issues would probably be lost if you need to use the warranty...

alba1978
09-03-14, 18:24

No item is under warranty for 6 years under the sales of goods act but they as are expected to perform as described for up to 6 years. You have to prove that the product has developed a manufacturing fault and not through wear and tear for the seller to be responsible for the repair. The responsibility is always with the seller and not the manufacturer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
09-03-14, 18:42
No item is under warranty for 6 years under the sales of goods act but they as are expected to perform as described for up to 6 years. You have to prove that the product has developed a manufacturing fault and not through wear and tear for the seller to be responsible for the repair. The responsibility is always with the seller and not the manufacturer.
That is an indication of how it works more or less; the complete story is more complicated.

But, as has been said already: most EU-countries respect EU-law and have a warranty period on 2 years.
And in the UK retailers are free to respect that as well.

northernmonkey
09-03-14, 18:59
wtf happened here?

I was only trying to give some praise on the service I received and the next thing I know, the threads been locked and all this has ensued.

<-- keeps his gob shut.

Maxwell
09-03-14, 19:17
wtf happened here?

I was only trying to give some praise on the service I received and the next thing I know, the threads been locked and all this has ensued.

<-- keeps his gob shut.

Unfortunately someone was not as happy with the service they received although they do not make the full story known. Your thread was locked to prevent the pettiness from ruining what you genuinely intended to be praise for the service you received.

stevejd2001
09-03-14, 21:01

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

you are quite right it lies with the retailer, however ive only known that it works from white goods or high end value items such as tvs

ive known friends utilising the sales of goods act for 2k tvs that have blown up after 24 months ...but sat boxes are disposable prices in the eyes of the law, so if they last 15 months so be it