PDA

View Full Version : New box arriving today - assistance required

bepto
06-03-14, 11:32
Got a Duo 2 coming today to replace my old solo and require a little help as I dont want to brick it on the 1st day:).

I am assuming I will have to do the following.. or will I as this is a new box? If I do are these the correct steps & are they in the correct order? any other steps I should take before/after?

1. Update Bootloader
2. Flash Image
3.Update VFD controller

I would also like to know whether i can just use the drive I currently use externally with the solo in the Duo without losing my recordings.
Also - where is the best location for epg data and picons? I was always told to use USB for the solo but have heard that flash is best with the dou.

Oh one other thing - what are the "essential" plug-ins for the Duo2?

Im sure there will be many more questions as I explore the box and am looking forward to getting to grips with it.

Larry-G
06-03-14, 11:43
as its a new receiver you dont need to mess with bootloaders or VFD updates, only when there are updates to these will you need to, as for the image thats a personal choice but it will come with a image already on there depending on what you asked for at the point of sale.

The duo2 has enough flash for picons to be stored there and the best place for the epg is a internal HDD in my opinion.

BubbleBalls
06-03-14, 11:51
It depends where you purchased. If, for example , you bought from the sponsor you should see the latest 3.808 build and latest boot loader pre installed.

You can use the same harddrive but need to mount it on the Duo.

Store epg to hdd or USB (data stays in live memory until you shut the Duo down) - it then saves to storage device. For picons you can also use the USB. Don't use the hdd for picons though.

If you have timers and auto timers you can transfer them to the Duo2 - so you keep your recordings and all your timers etc onto your new machine.

Tapatālker

bepto
06-03-14, 12:48
OK thanks guys. I dont need 2x sets of picons do I? one for epg and one for lcd display?

The Lambton Worm
06-03-14, 13:28
No. Just download Ocrams (spelling?) picons from the feeds and everything works perfectly.

bepto
06-03-14, 17:39
Just plugging everything in now and I'm not sure about the tuner - there are 2x lnb inputs both marked lnb in so obviously the sat cable goes on one of these (which one, if it matters) so do I not need the loopback cable as theres only one input left then? confused!

Larry-G
06-03-14, 17:59
Ideally for best results both tuners need a feed each from the lnb, if you only have one feed for now connect it to tuner b and setup as below.

menu> setup> service searching> tuner configuration.

Tuner A
configuration mode loopthrough to
connected to Tuner b.

Tuner B.
simple
single
28.2 east
no.

EDIT.

oops i for some reason thought this was for the solo2, i'm not sure if the duo2 needs a cable of can be looped through internally, i would assume it needs a cable from the lnb output to the others lnb input. connect the feed to tuner A and set tuner B as loopthrough.

it also depends on which tuners you have, single or double ????.

bepto
09-03-14, 12:25
Got things mostly sorted tunerwise, connected a feed to each input as I got another cable installed. Main stumbling blocks now are..

1. getting the picons to show on the LCD - anyone have a config file for LCD4Linux that just shows a large channel picon on the LCD
2. Is it possible to get the VFD display just showing the current time?
3. Havent started tryibg to set boblight / Lightpack up yet so those questions will come later.