PDA

View Full Version : recording and preferable tuner

chrcoluk
05-03-14, 18:06
Ok so I have 2 feeds, the 2nd is a bit dodgy and also has no screw in adaptor on it as it broke off.

It is working, but I dont want my recordings to rely on it.

I set preffered tuner to tuner A in the options.

If the box is off or left on with tv off, which tuner is most likely to be used for recording? is there a way to force tuner A to be used other than disabling tuner B?

marty
05-03-14, 18:24
is there a way to force tuner A to be used other than disabling tuner B?

There will be soon, we are testing right now ;)

Rob van der Does
05-03-14, 19:06
Setting the preferred tuner is the best you can do. But than again: you can never be sure the faulty one is not being used.
The only way to be sure is to disable the tuner with the disabled feed.

chrcoluk
05-03-14, 19:11
There will be soon, we are testing right now ;)

glad to hear.

I guess someone else asked for it before me then :)

marty
05-03-14, 19:30
How did you break it? post a piccy, maybe we can advise how to fix it :) (if it was faulty maybe it can be repaired under warrenty?)

chrcoluk
05-03-14, 23:43
warranty has long gone now :)

might post a pic tommorow.

in regards to the dodgy signal tho I dont think thats related to the physical damage, my 2nd feed has always been a bit dodgy. Just the damage on the cable means it isnt secure without been screwed in so at risk of falling out at any time.

It broke via wear and tear, I remember one day was unscrewing it from a sky set top box and it sort of just came loose and eventually fell off.

ronand
05-03-14, 23:48
You mean the connector fell off the coax? Fit a new one - you dont need any skills to do it.

chrcoluk
06-03-14, 14:35
I guess its one of things where you done it many times it seems easy but when you not done it before it isnt. I got no idea how to fit a new one or where to get one from.

I did take a pic tho so will post it soon.

DaMacFunkin
08-03-14, 07:39
Buy one from B&Q and just calmly screw it on the cable till it becomes tight, it really is that easy.
p.s. i hope there is also some way to refresh tuners without rebooting the box in the new version, this usb tuner C randomly does my head in (wished i'd bought the DUO2 :( )

chrcoluk
08-03-14, 15:17

I still have the one that came off, and how do I screw it on the cable? there is no screw notches on the cable.

is there a video to show how?

marty
08-03-14, 15:35
LOL, a child could do it :p
Best trim the cable back and inch and start again.
If you really can't manage it I'll take a couple of pics (or do a vid)

marty
08-03-14, 15:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2v7fLHZzzM

marty
08-03-14, 15:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqJcmslwyM

Walt
08-03-14, 15:52
This is shocking. My little girl screws the f connector back on whenever it comes loose.

chrcoluk
08-03-14, 16:35
thanks this helps.

that 2nd adaptor he connected looks much better than having to screw in the box. I always felt screwing in a connector in 2014 is ridiculous should be a snap in connection.

I got tons of those loose stuff round the edge and had no idea what it was. Plus my connector slides on and off loosely. screwing it on it falls off again.

stevejd2001
08-03-14, 16:42
just be careful with f connector selection as there are 2 sizes

1 size for standard size coaxial cable size largest one

smaller size for shotgun/sky twin cable (although i have shotgun same as std LOL)

obviously the smaller connector one wont screw onto the larger cable, and the larger connector will fall off the small twin cable

stevejd2001
08-03-14, 16:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqJcmslwyM

more shielding went onto the bench

chrcoluk
25-03-14, 04:29
so after about 40 mins, as the seath was completely shredded and then the end of the cable fell off, I managed to strip more of it back, but was plastic seath glued to the outside of the cable, pushed it into the box which pushed the seatch back and that allowed me to break that off, tried to screw on the connector, realised was doing wrong way round, started doing it right way, at first wouldnt grip but after about 10 minutes it gripped, then very carefully screwed it in. A massive hassle but is defenitly improved, now the 2nd feed is only a touch worse than the first according to that plugin which shows signal strength when pressing help.