PDA

View Full Version : Wife not happy - Purchased a SKYBOX M3 (Fs5) to replace my SKY HD+

TedHughes
03-03-14, 03:35
I purchased a Skybox M3 (similar I think to a FS5) as I cancelled my SKY subscription. However, my wife is not happy as it's too different and not as simple to use.
Can anyone suggest what is out there for me. I've concluded I need a new receiver with:
1. a twin tuner.
2. easy to use OS (enigma 2?)
3. Ideally 'series link' function
4. PVR functionality
5. Time shift (rewind, pause & forward live TV)
6. Media player function (play videos)
7. Price £100 - £150

I'm aware there are a lot of cheap Chinese boxes but I've not had any issues with my box not functioning properly. It's just the interface is poor. I suppose I was expecting too much from a £50 box.

Which processor is best - I think the M3 has a Dual 396Mhz, which I believe is fast? What is a MIPS box?
Enigma 2 - Is there anything else worth considering although I do like the enigma 2 interface

Thanks

duoduo
03-03-14, 08:29
You might be able to pick up a 2nd hand vu duo for your budget off here, I see them regularly up for sale and it will tick all your boxes. Consider though for another £50.00 you could purchase new from forum sponsor, which I would recommend over a 2nd unit..

sanderson82
03-03-14, 21:41
If you want to keep the wife happy def get a twin tuner with a HDD. Plop ViX on it and use CrossEPG. That's about as close as you will get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turnerfromdover
03-03-14, 22:07
Don't forget to add Blue HD or Fraggles Sly looking skin to vix for the wife friendly factor ;)

TedHughes
05-03-14, 03:46
Thanks for all the replies

Just continuing:
I think I 'll get a Vu Duo. I can't understand why anyone would by a clone especially as they're only a little cheaper?

Will enigma 2 allow series link record & also will it group recordings?

Larry-G
05-03-14, 04:06
Thanks for all the replies

Just continuing:
I think I 'll get a Vu Duo. I can't understand why anyone would by a clone especially as they're only a little cheaper?

Will enigma 2 allow series link record & also will it group recordings?

yes series link works fine, or as we have in ViX timers and auto timers. as for grouping recordings there are many different options available to choose from.

sunday96
05-03-14, 10:41
It's very simple divorce her and remain single:)

Joke apart, I think you're making a good decision in going for Vu Duo. I personally have a Duo2 and everyone in the family is more than happy.

TC

TedHughes
06-03-14, 00:00
Ok - Vu Duo it'll be then!!

Hard drive used as a PVR & Media Player?
I want to be able to use the box as media player as I have my own family videos.
Can the same hard drive be used as a media player if I fit an internal hard drive.
I'm considering a Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB SATA-600 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - any issues?
How would I transfer my files to the hard drive easily. Can the Vu box be networked to my PC across a router & powerline adapters?
Or is the easiest option to buy an external USB drive. My only concern would then be the data transfer speed across a USB 2 port?

Thanks

Larry-G
06-03-14, 01:05
The Vu+ Duo will play most formats easily enough but remember media player functionality is not going to be as good as a dedicated media player, i always say consider it as a bonus rather than a right, as for networking the receiver, thats what these boxes excel at.

TedHughes
11-03-14, 02:58
Will I be benefitting if I upgrade to a SOLO2?
What would be the benefits of a dual 1300Mhz processor in terms of picture quality, performance....?
I can see one downside of the SOLO2; it supports 2.5" HDD which are more expensive & slower?
What about streaming - I believe the Duo will stream as well - will the SOLO2 be a lot better?

Larry-G
11-03-14, 03:45
In this case a slower hard drive is actually beneficial as it helps reduce noise and heat, two things things you dont need in a STB (set top box ).

mariegriff
11-03-14, 07:54
I purchased a Skybox M3 (similar I think to a FS5) as I cancelled my SKY subscription. However, my wife is not happy as it's too different and not as simple to use.
Can anyone suggest what is out there for me. I've concluded I need a new receiver with:
1. a twin tuner.
2. easy to use OS (enigma 2?)
3. Ideally 'series link' function
4. PVR functionality
5. Time shift (rewind, pause & forward live TV)
6. Media player function (play videos)
7. Price £100 - £150
Thanks

I've just ordered the VU Duo twin tuner which is being delivered today. I want it for exactly the same reasons you have typed above. I've been looking and deciding for weeks trying to choose which one to buy
and I think the Duo ticks all the boxes for me, and hopefully for you :)

TedHughes
12-03-14, 11:59
Hi

1. Regarding the Vu Solo2 over a Vu Duo
I'm not sure how I will benefit compared to a Vu Duo. I suspect boot up will be faster. information, epg, skins marginally faster? Will transcoding be a lot better?

2. Hard drive type.
I understand that noise and heat is something to avoid in a STB but surely performance would be advantageous i.e. a 3.5” HDD running 72000rpm (64Mb cache) as apposed to a 2.5” 5400rpm (32mb cache) hard drive? Or are the throughput of these drives more than adequate to read / write simultaneously?

Thanks

Rob van der Does
12-03-14, 12:35
..... Or are the throughput of these drives more than adequate to read / write simultaneously?
Exactly.
High speeds (RPM) and large caches are only important for writing/reading lot's of small files (i.e. PC usage), while recordings are constant streams.

TedHughes
12-03-14, 16:56
I’m finding it hard, as others have said, to go for a Solo2 instead of a Vu Duo.
In real terms where would the Solo2 be better?
• Picture Quality
• Sound Quality
• Boot up
• Transcoding (transmitting images to an iPad)
• Recording facility
• Use as a media player
• EPG speed
• Updates
• Web based apps

Larry-G
12-03-14, 17:39
I’m finding it hard, as others have said, to go for a Solo2 instead of a Vu Duo.
In real terms where would the Solo2 be better?
• Picture Quality
• Sound Quality
• Boot up
• Transcoding (transmitting images to an iPad)
• Recording facility
• Use as a media player
• EPG speed
• Updates
• Web based apps

The Duo can not transcode at all, it can stream to internal and external networks but cant transcode, ( transcoding in this context is where the receiver through hardware or software takes the recording or live stream and re-incodes it to a lower bit rate on the fly, this is handy when streaming to a mobile phone while away from home. ).

Media player functions on all STB's should be considered as a bonus and they are by no means as good as a dedicated media player would be.

Generally the Solo2 is faster in day to day use than the Duo, you also have to remember that the Duo is pushing 4 to 5 years old and as such will struggle to keep up with memory intensive plugins that the solo2 can run without issue due to the faster processor and increased ram in the solo2.