PDA

View Full Version : MY Server PC not starting AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

silverfox0786
07-11-10, 16:11
Hey guys just a small rant i went to go to my server PC to access some files and it was on but no screen so i restarted it and no screen and no tell tale sound of the post process so i tried a complete shut down from mains and let it rest and the started it and still no joy then i opened up PC and placed the LCD Poster in front of me and Started it and looked. Its an Asus Striker II Formula with 4GB Corsiar Ram what i noticed is the LCD was not moving from CPU INIT as the next step would be RAM INIT and the Corsier Memory lights where irratic and not synced. Although it could be CPU as it was going past that point of initialising it. I'm Guessing its the memory but dont have spare to test that theory. JUst annoyed now i am gonna have to pull apart this PC and diagnose it [Blooody Corsier Memory]

Larry-G
07-11-10, 16:16
ouch. i feel your pain mate i really do.

silverfox0786
07-11-10, 16:42
Im not really in the mood to strip it but i got to as i have 6TB of data on it and i need to access some of it worst come to worst i'll pull the HDDs and connect them to my backup PC

Larry-G
07-11-10, 17:03
i know the feeling. i lost a rack of HDD'S last year over 10 TB of data luckily i setup a batch file to auto backup those drives twice a day to a remote rack so all was not lost.

silverfox0786
07-11-10, 17:51
i decided to to some testing by plugging in one by one the internal guts in another mother board the memory is working all 4gb the graphics card is working the cpu is working and these are the main things that give a blank screen at boot so i can only conclude but need to test more that the mother board has called it a day atleast the hdd's work thts the main importance for me

silverfox0786
08-11-10, 01:35
Looks like a new motherboard just had a look an exact replacement is still retailing at about £200 flebay £150 ouch its 3-4 years old so no warranty im in pain

silverfox0786
10-11-10, 02:05
Hey guys needed some advice i was hoping to replace my motherboard with the same one so to save on having to buy extras but when i was cheacking fleebay i saw this Listing

Faulty Asus striker Republic of Gamers motherboard, It has the Infamous CPU-INIT error

Not sure if its repairable, There doesnt appear to be any physical damage to the board ( CPU pins are fine)

now that is exactily what swrong with my board.

what do you think is this common on this board and should i go for a different board or shall i just risk a replacement for now.

Bear in mind tho that i just want to use this machine for another years tor so then go on to an intel i7

pooface
10-11-10, 09:24
Hey guys needed some advice i was hoping to replace my motherboard with the same one so to save on having to buy extras but when i was cheacking fleebay i saw this Listing

Faulty Asus striker Republic of Gamers motherboard, It has the Infamous CPU-INIT error

Not sure if its repairable, There doesnt appear to be any physical damage to the board ( CPU pins are fine)

now that is exactily what swrong with my board.

what do you think is this common on this board and should i go for a different board or shall i just risk a replacement for now.

Bear in mind tho that i just want to use this machine for another years tor so then go on to an intel i7

I would say that it sounds like there's a history of that error with that board. Can you not get a cheaper (sub £100) board, that will last you for just a year?! That's the way I would go...

acco
10-11-10, 14:29
Yep a quick google reveals your not the only one that has suffered, lots of claims on how to fix. I'd certainly not give up on it until I had tried a few.
Getting the bios reset & using a slower speed memory stick to check things out sounds like a step I'd go down if you've not already tried.

silverfox0786
10-11-10, 14:33
I would say that it sounds like there's a history of that error with that board. Can you not get a cheaper (sub £100) board, that will last you for just a year?! That's the way I would go...

im hoping i dont pay out more that about £100 guy your advice is the best will look at a board with same specs but diff manufacturer

Yep a quick google reveals your not the only one that has suffered, lots of claims on how to fix. I'd certainly not give up on it until I had tried a few.
Getting the bios reset & using a slower speed memory stick to check things out sounds like a step I'd go down if you've not already tried.

Yes mate tried a few fixes most aren't true it defo need to be slung out now

silverfox0786
10-11-10, 14:38
found thison the asus website made me laughExtreme Procedure to Reset CMOS.

01 - Take out the power cord. All this must be done without the power connected.
02 - Put the jumper "CLRTC" (above the CLR_CMOS button) from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3.
03 - Push the reset button "CLR_CMOS" in. (Battery is now disconnected normally).
04 - Take out the cmos battery and leave it like that for at least 3 hours. (This is to be sure).
05 - After 3 hours put the battery back in.
06 - Push again the the reset button out.
07 - Replace the jumper back to it's original place. Pins 1-2
08 - Put back in the power cord and turn on the power.
09 - When booting, scream very hard "YES" and quickly push the "Delete" to get into bios.
10 - Flash the new bios with the floppy and you should hopefully be fine.
11 - When all works, connect everything and starting having fun with your system.

silverfox0786
11-11-10, 21:42
JUst thought might as well be done with it and brought the same board just to be safe and considering it lasted me 3-4 years then another 3-4 years and i will call it my moneys worth cost me £80 inc delivery from fleabay. To be honest i didn't want to start scanning the right board like i did many years ago for this while i have a dead PC. I need a running PC at all times and then i can later on look into what the best upgrade will be....

£80 less on my Sharm El Sheikh Holiday Spending Budget

silverfox0786
22-11-10, 04:01
found the fault decided to remove the heatsink on the north bridge and saw that thw chip had melted. it meted so bad that is welded itself to the heatsink