PDA

View Full Version : Vu Duo Resets - Possible Overheating?

pdlee
26-02-14, 23:33
I have a problem with my (genuine) duo resetting, sometimes randomly, but most often either at the very start of a recording or within a couple of minutes of the recording starting and almost always on HD channels.

The box doesn't actually go through the normal start up screens, the picture goes off and the screen goes black, then I see the Vix logo in the top left corner and after about 10 seconds or so the programme comes back on, sometimes on the channel which was being watched, sometimes on a different channel but always with no sound until I move off the channel and back on to it.

I've checked the logs and it doesn't seem to be creating crash logs only debug logs.

After searching through some of the forum posts, I wondered if it could be due to overheating (though the duo is on a shelf with nothing around it) and whether changing the hard drive from a 3.5" to 2.5" might help as suggested in some of the posts?

Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Larry-G
26-02-14, 23:42
Please upload some of those debug logs here for us to look over, as for overheating that is a possibility, if memory serves the duo has a safety feature built in where it will powerdown if it gets too hot.

Rob van der Does
27-02-14, 07:12
You could try to activate a swap-file and see if that helps.

pdlee
27-02-14, 08:53
Thanks both for your replies. I've attached some of the debug logs for the past three days and I'll see if the swap file helps.

Trial
27-02-14, 09:02
Hi,
I think on DUO the plugin flushcache (or something like that) cannot do any harm.

ciao

Rob van der Does
27-02-14, 09:20
I think on DUO the plugin flushcache (or something like that) cannot do any harm.
Yeah, that would be my suggestion after a swapfile has been activated and shows to be not enough.

Although the CachFlush plugin doesn't do any real harm, it's better not to use it if not needed.

rassi
27-02-14, 09:26
Sound like you are going to need change couple of capacitors from your DUO. Easy and cheap to do.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?26743-Dead-Vu-Duo-repair-guide

pdlee
27-02-14, 22:15
Thanks all for your suggestions. I've set up the swap file so will see how that goes and will give Cache Flush a go if there's no improvement.