PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue QUAD] How to link certain channels to a particular (DVB-T) tuner

mazo
23-02-14, 00:10
I have a GIGABLUE QUAD running the OpenVIX image. The receiver features two DVB-S tuners and two more DVB-T tuners, and I have different antennas connected to each of them.

When tuning channels, I can select the particular tuner (other than simply selecting "DVB-S" or "DVB-T") I want to search in. Therefore, I can tune channels from tuner C and from tuner D, which are the DVB-T tuners.

However, once the channels have been found and added to the channel list, it seems that the receiver does not take into account anymore which tuner each channel was found in, as it simply tries to tune it with the first available tuner. And if no signal is found, it simply does not try the other tuner, either.

Is there a way (eg, configuring whatever by telnet, etc.) I can link a certain channel to a certain tuner? As I said, I have different antennas connected to each tuner, and not all channels are available for both.

In case this is not possible, I find it would be a great feature to implement. As all the four tuners have their own input connectors (therefore, I need to connect four antenna cables anyway), it would be great to optionally assigning a certain tuner to a certain channel, for cases like mine where not all terrestrial (or satellite) tuners receive the same channels.

Thank you very much.

PS: of course I know there are ways of "melting" the signals from two antennas into the same cable, but this is not that easy, especially when the signal levels are really poor and when each antenna receives different channels on a particular frequency...

Rob van der Does
23-02-14, 07:07
However, once the channels have been found and added to the channel list, it seems that the receiver does not take into account anymore which tuner each channel was found in, as it simply tries to tune it with the first available tuner. And if no signal is found, it simply does not try the other tuner, either
So you are saying that if service 'X' is only available via DVB-T (tuners C & D) the box tries to use a DVB-S tuner (tuner A or B) to tune to that service?
If so, there's something very wrong. The box knows very well which services are available on which tuner, even though the UI doesn't show that.
Having said that: even the GUI can show some info on that: in the channel-list the settings in the context menu can set to show service type icons.

stick50jr
23-02-14, 07:29
... I have different antennas connected to each of them.

When tuning channels, I can select the particular tuner (other than simply selecting "DVB-S" or "DVB-T") I want to search in. Therefore, I can tune channels from tuner C and from tuner D, which are the DVB-T tuners.
PS: of course I know there are ways of "melting" the signals from two antennas into the same cable, but this is not that easy, especially when the signal levels are really poor and when each antenna receives different channels on a particular frequency...

AFAIK, it is not possible to differentiate your dvb-t tuners. The best solution would be as per your PS. Use a combiner or video distribution amp to take the signal from your two terrestrial antennas (presumably these are aimed in different directions) and feed this combined signal to both dvb-t tuners. This will have the added advantage of giving you more flexibility in recording multiple programmes:)

However, if they've re-used frequencies (from the two different terrestial directions) then they will interfere using a simple combiner. It would then be neccessary to demodulate/remodulate onto a separate frequency.

In case this is not possible, I find it would be a great feature to implement. As all the four tuners have their own input connectors (therefore, I need to connect four antenna cables anyway), it would be great to optionally assigning a certain tuner to a certain channel, for cases like mine where not all terrestrial (or satellite) tuners receive the same channels.

In theory, this would be possible; but this is beyond my ability.

Rob van der Does
23-02-14, 07:41
Ah, OK, now I understand OP's issue.
Sorry for being dumb.

mazo
23-02-14, 12:23
Thank you for your answers. Yes, everything is OK in distinguishing DVB-S channels and DVB-T channels. My issue is that I have a different antenna feeding each terrestrial tuner and not all channels are received from the two of them (each antenna points to a different transmitter). As stick50jr suggests, it is possible to use a combiner, but it is complicated (and expensive) for a case like mine, where some channels are received very weak (inserting a combiner will attenuate them even more) and where same frequencies contain different channels depending on the transmitter.

Anyway, I think I found a workaround for my particular case: setting tuner C as DVB-T and tuner D as DVB-C. Under this configuration, it seems I can still use tuner D to tune DVB-T channels (I still have to double-check); however, the receiver will consider them as DVB-C channels and will always try to tune them with tuner D. The bad news is that I will not be able (or so I suppose) to watch one DVB-T channel while recording another, as tuner C and tuner D will now be considered different... and so will be their channels.

mazo
23-02-14, 14:16
Update: trying to double-check what I said above, I can't tuner DVB-T tuner anymore with tuner D configured as DVB-C... However, I did manage to tune a few channels initially. I don't know what changed... I will keep on investigating.