PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Image backup and restore query

IAmATeaf
22-02-14, 18:15
Strange question I guess but I was doing an image backup and also happened to be browsing my HDD at the time and I sort of noticed the process the image backup went through before I ended up with a zip file.

So I was wondering if there is a guide or if somebody knows what steps the image backup goes through in order to create the final image. No real reason for this apart from curiosity.

Rob van der Does
22-02-14, 18:22
A couple of temp folders are created. From there the actual image-folder is being made.

IAmATeaf
22-02-14, 18:36
Yes that's what I saw but I was wondering how from those folders the image was created.

IAmATeaf
22-02-14, 18:55
Blimey, I thought I'd have a look at ImageManager.py to see how it constructs the image expecting nice easy to understand steps but after looking at the .py I'm afraid to say I'm still none the wiser, think I need to look at the file more closely.

EDIT: So is it possible to unpack an image, say I have a backup consisting of bin files can I unpack/expand these files?

judge
23-02-14, 01:45
Blimey, I thought I'd have a look at ImageManager.py to see how it constructs the image expecting nice easy to understand steps but after looking at the .py I'm afraid to say I'm still none the wiser, think I need to look at the file more closely.

EDIT: So is it possible to unpack an image, say I have a backup consisting of bin files can I unpack/expand these files?

What exactly are you trying to do?
If you explain it a bit better you might get some help.
As it is, the backup manager works perfectly well...

IAmATeaf
23-02-14, 11:59
What exactly are you trying to do?
If you explain it a bit better you might get some help.
As it is, the backup manager works perfectly well...

I was seeing if it's possible to update the image contents so for example the bouquet without running another backup. Yes I know I can click a few buttons and wait for anothe backup but I was just curious.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

judge
23-02-14, 12:39
I was seeing if it's possible to update the image contents so for example the bouquet without running another backup. Yes I know I can click a few buttons and wait for anothe backup but I was just curious.

Sorry, still don't get it?
If you want to update bouquets, surely you want to do the backup after you set the channel lists how you want them, not before then?

IAmATeaf
23-02-14, 17:57
Say I do an image backup and then a month later the bouquet gets updated, all I was wondering was is it possible to use the image I made a month ago and update it with the updated bouquet files i.e. update the contents of the folder /etc/enigma2 within the image. As I said before yes I know I can simply create another newer image backup but was wondering how the image could be opened/expanded.

pooface
23-02-14, 18:33
Say I do an image backup and then a month later the bouquet gets updated, all I was wondering was is it possible to use the image I made a month ago and update it with the updated bouquet files i.e. update the contents of the folder /etc/enigma2 within the image. As I said before yes I know I can simply create another newer image backup but was wondering how the image could be opened/expanded.

There used to be a way to open images to view files within the image, but can't remember whether you could write back files to the backup...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

IAmATeaf
23-02-14, 19:22
Am I correct in stating that the bin files are in jffs2 format so I'd need to 'dd' the bin file to a suitable block device which I'd then mount?

judge
24-02-14, 00:21
There's a tool on sourceforge that compares one E2 image to another, forget what it's called but might be worth a search.