PDA

View Full Version : Gigablue Quad Hard Drive size

nsw9154
21-02-14, 12:32
Hello this is my 1st real Question

i was originally going to get a VU+Duo but decided to get the Gigablue Quad, at the moment on it's way from Finland

i have 3-500gig sata drives 2 that i used to use in my PC till i upgraded to 2 and 1 Terabit HD's and 1 that i took out of a Tivo box that i bought for £20 from flebay

then realized it would not work as a free view box :o i was originally going to put the Tivo's Western Digital in the Duo as it is already Linux - but the Gigablue only takes 2.1/2" drives

i have a 200gig 2.1/2" sata drive from a old laptop, would that be large enough to work in the Gigablue and use 2 of the others as external drives

i have 2 Samsung drives both HD501LJ's (500GB/7200rpm/16mb cache

the Western Digital is a WD500AADS/32mb cache

or would i be better of only using the 1 external drive and using the Western Digital as that has a better cache as by reading on here that speed isn't every thing

the reason i asked if the 200gig will be large enough is that i am not sure how many hours recording i will be able to get on it especially if i record a lot of High Def programs

Thanks in advance

regards norm

Rob van der Does
21-02-14, 12:52
For recording the cache of a drive is of no importance at all. Nor is the RPM.

200 GB is certainly not very much for recording. As a recording is a complete TS, and compression is different for each provider, it's hard to say how many (few) hours of recording it can contain. But not much ....

nsw9154
21-02-14, 13:18
Thank's for your fast reply looks like i will invest in a larger drive at a later date but will have to use the 200gb for the time being

one other question would it be feasible to set the box up to automatically record on to the External Drives if i set 2 500gb drives up, or dose it automatically record to the internal drive

thanks in advance

regards norm

skippie
21-02-14, 14:03
i always use an external HDD, got one on the quad of 2TB and works like a charm, never a problem recording several shows at the same time.
I once tried recording 8 shows simultaneously and no problem.

nsw9154
21-02-14, 14:16
Thanks skippie do you have a internal drive fitted or is it only the External drive

regards norm

Rob van der Does
21-02-14, 14:16
You can use both an internal and an external HDD for recordings.
The default recording location can be set in the settings (e.g. to the internal HDD), but every timer can have it's own destination.

nsw9154
21-02-14, 14:54
Thank you Rob that has explained my question and it's nice to know that i have the option to bypass the internal drive and just record on the External one

regards norm

skippie
21-02-14, 18:05
yes, i don't have an internal one, only external HDD

marty
21-02-14, 18:13
If you do use an EXT-HDD try and use eSATA :thumbsup:

nsw9154
21-02-14, 18:23
yes, i don't have an internal one, only external HDD

Thank you skippie that's good to know

regards norm

nsw9154
21-02-14, 18:31
If you do use an EXT-HDD try and use eSATA :thumbsup:

Thank you marty that's another good thing to know, but are they expensive

regards norm

marty
21-02-14, 19:06
Thank you marty that's another good thing to know, but are they expensive

regards norm

Not at all, just buy an empty HDD box that has eSATA. They are about £10-15 and stick your HDD in it.
Why not fit an internal HDD?

nsw9154
21-02-14, 20:06
i intend to fit an internal 200gig for the time being until i can afford a 1 or 2 TB internal drive and i already have 2-500gig sata drives in external cases with separate power supplies that i used to use on my PC but i think that 5TB is enough for the PC :roflmao:

norm

BubbleBalls
22-02-14, 22:22
Internal HDD 1tb from MemoryC is about 64 euros. They also have P&P 1tb for the same price - handy to remove the HDD (for the Quad) and swap in that 200GB drive for flexible storage.

Tapatālker

nsw9154
25-02-14, 01:49
i received an email today to tell me that they are out of stock and hopefully they should get a new batch next week :( strange that they sent the email after paypal had taken the money out of my account so i am probably looking at another 2 weeks = :rolleyes: so i saw that they have VU+Solo 2's for about 320 euros with shipping :eek: probably work out at about £270 so i have asked if they can replace the Giga quad for the Solo2 and invoice me the difference, but if they are out of stock as well i might just ask for a refund and get one from WOS,which i should have gone with in the 1st place :confused:

BubbleBalls
25-02-14, 07:00
You're within rights to request/demand that the payment be returned you your A/C. Though PatPal are high with their charges they are good for dispute resolution. It has taken SS.fi a little too long in letting you know where you stand. Understand your frustration and I would also try to take my custom elsewhere. Call them to speed things up.

Tapatālker

sanderson82
25-02-14, 09:37
Gigablue Quads have been discontinued. WOS don't currently stock them. There is a new version of the quad due out in the next month or so. Pretty much same hardware, only difference is a gigabyte LAN connection and larger LCD screen (and I think they'll also do them in white!)

I'd either hold off for that or go for the Solo2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsw9154
25-02-14, 10:38
Gigablue Quads have been discontinued. WOS don't currently stock them. I'd either hold off for that or go for the Solo

i have read that the Original Quad has been superseded by the new plus model so i think the original quads will be a bit thin on the ground, that is why i am thinking of getting the solo2 unless the supplier offers me the plus for the same price ;) but i don't think that will happen, as i am getting to the point where i might just stick with my old Blade Combo :confused:

short360uk
26-02-14, 21:21
Ordered my quad from a Germany seller on fleabay 2 weeks ago arrived within 2 days. Fitted it with a 500 gb internal HDD running on vix. Very pleased with it got the DVB-C that I'm gonna set up on the cable side this weekend

nsw9154
26-02-14, 23:20
well i ordered the VU+solo2 and it is on its way as we speak the tracking order says that it has left the country :p so i might have it by Friday :smiley_yup:

short360uk
26-02-14, 23:44
At least u got sorted in the end. Did u get it from the same place

nsw9154
27-02-14, 00:41
yes from the same place it saved all the hassle of waiting to see when they would get the quads in, and i really wasn't bothered about the 4 tuner option it just seemed that it would be a bonus

rhurbarb
09-05-14, 16:18
Ok to buy a sata 11 1tb for quad plus? im such a newbie my purchase is still in the post :thumbsup:

nsw9154
14-05-14, 01:49
I think they only accept 2.5" drives and a sata II will be ok i have 1 TB one in my Solo2, and i am still tempted to get a Quad plus :)

josh_g
14-05-14, 09:55
Hello this is my 1st real Question

i was originally going to get a VU+Duo but decided to get the Gigablue Quad, at the moment on it's way from Finland

i have 3-500gig sata drives 2 that i used to use in my PC till i upgraded to 2 and 1 Terabit HD's and 1 that i took out of a Tivo box that i bought for £20 from flebay

then realized it would not work as a free view box :o i was originally going to put the Tivo's Western Digital in the Duo as it is already Linux - but the Gigablue only takes 2.1/2" drives

i have a 200gig 2.1/2" sata drive from a old laptop, would that be large enough to work in the Gigablue and use 2 of the others as external drives

i have 2 Samsung drives both HD501LJ's (500GB/7200rpm/16mb cache

the Western Digital is a WD500AADS/32mb cache

or would i be better of only using the 1 external drive and using the Western Digital as that has a better cache as by reading on here that speed isn't every thing

the reason i asked if the 200gig will be large enough is that i am not sure how many hours recording i will be able to get on it especially if i record a lot of High Def programs

Thanks in advance

regards norm

Sorry for hijacking the thread but i just binned my bros Tivo box as it was piece of S**T and beeped when ever it did anything!! i have rescued the 500GB HDD out of it but cant get it to pick up in my TM-Twin or on my windows PC have you got yours working and if so how??

nsw9154
14-05-14, 14:23
Hello josh_g yes I managed get it working eventually I tried every thing but nothing seemed to work after pulling my hair out Twice :D
I finally managed to format it with MiniTool Partition Wizard and I am using it with my Solo2 fitted in a external HD Caddy :thumbsup:

forgot to mention I am using Windows 7 - MiniTool has retrieved 2 Dead Hard Drives that I was going to bin, but it has failed to recover my 1 tb
that was my main boot drive when my power supply blew the power surge must have fried the boot sector

regards norm

josh_g
14-05-14, 14:27
Hello josh_g yes I managed get it working eventually I tried every thing but nothing seemed to work after pulling my hair out Twice :D
I finally managed to format it with MiniTool Partition Wizard and I am using it with my Solo2 fitted in a external HD Caddy :thumbsup:

regards norm

ahh good stuff, so i take it you just install that program and it will detect the HDD on the PC when plugged in?

nsw9154
14-05-14, 14:36
yes mate it usually dose I must have been editing my post when you replied, that's why i mentioned the fried hd
it's a great program i think it was Rob from here suggested it to me