PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

westhammer
20-02-14, 00:33
Hi,

Hope I've [posted in the right place.

I'm new to the Forum and this is my 1st post. I am looking to buy a new receiver to replace a Darkbox Rev 2008. I have a 1m motorised dish which covers 15W to approx 60E. I am clearly a little behind the new technology and hope I can ask a few basic questions of more experienced users.

I'm looking potentially at a VU Plus Duo Receiver and I'd want it mainly for Sport (Boxing/Football).

Can someone please advise (a) what the Vix image, Blackhole, VTI etc firmware actually does - what is the difference?

Also what is the benefit of a Linux receiver - is it purely to have the facility to 'upgrade' software content? What is the main benefit of Linux?

Appreciate these may be somewhat basic questions - any help appreciated.

Thx

Larry-G
20-02-14, 00:49
The image is basically a GUI or graphical user interface, IE the bit you see when navigating through menus etc. There is a lot more to it than that but thats the very basic definition. They all basically do the same thing but individual teams put their own spin on things, for Example in ViX we rate highly for our user friendly interface which is easy to use for novices and expert alike and we in my opinion have the single best EPG bar none.

The benefit of Linux as the operating system is that you are not stuck with a receiver that is not supported after a few years or months, it is very very customizable and there are literally thousands of developers around the world producing plugins or apps for it.

The best advice i can give is read a lot of the sticky threads on the forum and when you get the receiver try a few different images until you settle on the one you like, and above all if you need help ask for it, thats what we are here for after all.

Rob van der Does
20-02-14, 09:45
The image is basically a GUI or graphical user interface, IE the bit you see when navigating through menus etc. ....
Sorry to say, but I can't agree with that.

An image is a complete firmware, i.e. a Linux OS + Enigma2 + skin + plugins.

- Linux is the actual Operating System, controlling all hardware and allowing other programs to run (compare it with Windows).
- Enigma2 is the actual DVB-app (Digital Video Broadcastin application). That is a program doing all that needs to be done to make viewing and recording of sat-C/T-TV possible.
- On top of that one has the skin: that's the GUI (the Graphical User Interface).
- Further more an image can hold and support multiple plugins: simple apps that provide more functionality.

westhammer
21-02-14, 21:45
Thank you both for taking the time to reply. A couple of other questions:

If I buy a receiver from WoS it looks like I can choose from a series of images to come pre-installed - as Vix is supported by this forum can I assume the latest version is pre-installed? I did mail the shop twice but didn't get a reply.

Also I've seen lots of files on the site that seem to offer a latest image but there's little detail what extra they do. Do these simply load via USB flash and can I assume they might open a few bouquets?

Happy do do some pre-reading - are there any links as a 'new to Linux' user you would recommend?

Thanks again.

Stanman
22-02-14, 01:02
Nothing will open any bouquets.
The image from the sponsor will be latest public release of vix.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
22-02-14, 09:02
What satellite receiver are you looking at and what budget do you have in mind?

westhammer
23-02-14, 20:00
Probably a Vu+ Duo with a Hard Drive? Looking at c.£250-300. No real preference just that this seems a popular and well supported make/model.

I want something that will last a few years - so I understand now that Linux basically means that the operating programme is versatile enough to be upgradable. Vix is the part of the receiver that runs the menu / navigation and this can be upgraded/changed to other firmware. This forum presumably offers support on the receiver and also the firmware with upgrades etc. I have a Sky and BT full sub and use the FTA dish to pick up the odd English programme but specifically for Football and Boxing options. I'm not a complete novice but completely out of touch with Linux functionality, had a Darkbox SD 2008 and used to 'flash' files to this. Long since obsolete but still use as a FTA SD receiver.

What would you guys on the forum recommend and why?

pac2000
23-02-14, 21:48
Vu+ Duo Is A Brilliant Piece Of Kit, But If You Can Afford It, Go For The Solo2... The Linux Part Of It Is Almost Hidden By The User Interface(On The Box)... The Reason That I Use Vix Is Because Of It's Simplicity(Even My Girlfriend Can Use It)... Put Simply It Is Very Close To A Sly Box In Terms Of Usability, EPG, And Channel Ordering... When Fully Setup, It's Requires Very Little Expertise...

As Pheonix Stated, Vix Has The Best Built In Plugins, Like CrossEPG And Auto Bouquet Maker(EPG And Channel Ordering/Updating)... By The Sounds Of It You Already Know Your Way Around Satellite Equipment, And Once You've Gone To An Enigma2 Box, You'll Never Want Anything Else... It's Like A Computer, And Allows It's Resources To Be Used Over A Network... For Instance, You Can Access The EPG And Watch Live TV Via OpenWebIf/XBMC/Vu+ Player On The Network... Access Recording, And Make Your Own File Structures On The Hard Drive, So It's A Bit Like Having A File Server On Your Network... I Have Folders For Every Member Of My Family, And Map A Network Drive On Each Of Their Computers, So They Can Only Access Their Programs And Downloaded Films/TV Shows All Round The House, At The Same Time...

An Enigma2 Box Is Not Just A Satellite Receiver, It's A Tuner Server, File Server And Media Center...

The Reason I Recommend The Solo2 Is For Future Proofing... It's Much Quicker Than The Duo, And Has Gigabit Networking... Although I Only Have A Duo, I Wish I'd Of Waited 2-3 Months For The Solo2 Now I Realise Just What It Can Do... With My Hard Wired Gigabit Network, I've Successfully Had 2 HD Channels Streaming (One Was The Same As The Receiver Itself Was Viewing) And 2 SD Channels Streaming(Via My PlayTV USB Dual Freeview Tuners)... I've Also Had 4 Recordings Going (2 HD Sat, 2 SD Freeview) Whilst Watching A Recording...

Rob van der Does
24-02-14, 05:27
I have no idea why you use a capital for each and every word? This improper use makes reading really hard.

Stanman
24-02-14, 19:05
This It Annoy You Rob, That People Do That:D

Rob van der Does
24-02-14, 19:22
tO bE hONEST; i wON'T cARE aNSWERING aNY mORE wHEN/iF pEOPLE aRE nOT aBLE tO wRITE pROPERLY.

Blu-ray
24-02-14, 20:28
wE aRe noT aLl pErfECt, loL

abu baniaz
24-02-14, 22:46
Yes, but nothing stops us from striving towards it.

We'll never reach it, but we can improve our abilities.

pac2000
25-02-14, 00:39
Some People Write In All Caps, Some Never Use Capitals... This Is My Writing Signature... And Yet You Mock, And Rob Declares He's Never Going To Help Or Reply To Me... Thanks...

judge
25-02-14, 00:45
Some People Write In All Caps, Some Never Use Capitals... This Is My Writing Signature... And Yet You Mock, And Rob Declares He's Never Going To Help Or Reply To Me... Thanks...

"Some People Write In All Caps?" Unique & extremely annoying to read, Rob isn't the only one who wouldn't offer support on those threads, I'll happily join him.
Surely it's more hassle to ALL CAP the first letter of every word than type in easy reading English or any other language?

pac2000
25-02-14, 01:56
So You Are Hijacking This Thread To Which I Was Trying To Help The OP, To Conduct A Personal Attack On Me... I Find That Unbelievable... If You Don't Want To Reply Or Help Me, Then Do Just That... But You Obviously Feel The Need To Go Further, And Try To Humiliate And Insult Me... I Wouldn't Mind If It Was Meant In Humour, But You Are Serious... I Didn't Realise A Support Forum Had A Prerequisite To Write In A Particular Way... I Find The Very Notion Illogical And Absurd... But That's Just Me, Obviously... :fart2:

judge
25-02-14, 02:10
I Didn't Realise A Support Forum Had A Prerequisite To Write In A Particular Way... I Find The Very Notion Illogical And Absurd... But That's Just Me, Obviously... :fart2:

No prerequisite, but your first cap per word is giving me a headache already.
I also find the notion to Cap Every Word " I Find The Very Notion Illogical And Absurd... But That's Just Me, Obviously" extremely absurd.

pac2000
25-02-14, 02:49
I Think You Have Chosen The Name Judge Very Wisely... After All, That's What You Do... This Is A Public Forum, And Is Highly Searchable Via Google... Take A Step Back, And Realise How Petty You Are Being...

judge
25-02-14, 03:03
Step back taken, now what?
Type Like This.

abu baniaz
25-02-14, 03:10
What is the harm in typing normally and properly? It is less effort on your part. Surely something that reads well is better than something that causes eye strain.

From my perception, there was no personal attack, just a request to type normally.

The forums allow you to add a signature to your posts. Use whatever method of typing you want in that.

Rob van der Does
25-02-14, 05:18
@pac2000:
if you don't want to show common courtesy, you could consider not writing here at all.

After all there's nothing that costs less than civility.

pac2000
27-02-14, 02:36
I'll Type How I Want... And I Have As Much Right As You To Be On Here... So Get Used To It...

You Have No Right To Tell Me What To Do... I Have Broken No Forum Rules... If You Wish To Act Childish, That's Your Choice...

I Will Continue To Use, And Help People On This Forum...

L8rz, PAC...

BubbleBalls
27-02-14, 03:16
yOU dO rEALISE yOUR pOSTS cAN bE dELETED?

Tapatālker

Maxwell
27-02-14, 09:14
I'll Type How I Want... And I Have As Much Right As You To Be On Here... So Get Used To It...

You Have No Right To Tell Me What To Do... I Have Broken No Forum Rules... If You Wish To Act Childish, That's Your Choice...

I Will Continue To Use, And Help People On This Forum...

L8rz, PAC...

Enough of the attitude please, if you cannot be civil please refrain from posting

westhammer
28-02-14, 10:04
Thanks to all for the advice postings and your patience.

Sounds like Vix has the simplest functionality which would be great for me at this stage. Several of you analogy of Enigma 2 to a PC and that helps understanding. Not sure I'd use to stream but it might be something I'd use at a later date. A couple more questions:

What is Gigabit networking (as opposed to normal networking) on the Solo?
Also if some one is on the forum from the sponsor (I tried unsuccessfully to make contact via mail) are the receivers sold on WoS all official models rather than clones?
If I only have one LNB off my motorised dish I assume I can only record multiple recordings from channels pointed at one satellite (to utilise the twin tuner)

Again apologies if these are daft questions,

Rob van der Does
28-02-14, 15:02
What is Gigabit networking (as opposed to normal networking) on the Solo?
Up to 10 times faster then 100Mbit/s LAN (if your network accommodates that)

Also if some one is on the forum from the sponsor (I tried unsuccessfully to make contact via mail) are the receivers sold on WoS all official models rather than clones?
You can be pretty sure about that. He's a first class clone-buster :)

If I only have one LNB off my motorised dish I assume I can only record multiple recordings from channels pointed at one satellite (to utilise the twin tuner)
Even less than that: the second tuner can only tune to transponders that are in the same 'quadrant' (High?Low - Hor/Vert) as the transponder tuner 1 is tuned to.

westhammer
28-02-14, 20:25
Thanks again.

Ok so if I don't want to network and only have one LNB feed then the VU + solo seemed to be a better option as I can only really use the one tuner.

That said the pay off for downgrading to that is that I can't add a HDD to a solo and I wanted that.

If I go for a Duo can I take it that it work off one LNB feed for normal day to day operation?

Is there anything else anyone thinks I should consider before buying?

westhammer
05-03-14, 19:51
Thank you for the responses. Last couple of questons before i order.

1. On the VU + Duo Reveiver can I assume that it will function ok if I've only the 1 lnb lead running from my Dish (motiorised).?
2. When I order I take it the option to add the Tenda W150M wifi bridge means I don't also need USN wi fi and it's either or rather than both required?
3. What would I use the Networking Powerline Homeplugs for if the unit has wi-fi?

Thx

abu baniaz
05-03-14, 20:09
1. Yes it will work with one satellite feed.

2/3. You ick the way you want to connect the receiver to the network (router/other PC) at home. You only need one of the options, whichever you pick.

westhammer
11-03-14, 23:50
1. Yes it will work with one satellite feed.

2/3. You ick the way you want to connect the receiver to the network (router/other PC) at home. You only need one of the options, whichever you pick.

Ok have ordered today from the Shop. Many thanks to everyone for their help.