PDA

View Full Version : Newly setup Nano killing my internet connection

dutchbath
19-02-14, 18:59
I've setup my new Nano that I received today following the following guide to the letter http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?23571-New-box-set-up-guide

I'm using CrossEPG and the latest version of CCCam

All is set up and working, except when the Nano is connected to the internet (and it is hard wired by Cat6 to the router) it absolutely kills my internet connection. Doing speedtests etc the speed comes down to a few kbs (i.e pages are taking minutes to load etc) - this is both with the box on and on standby. Turning the box off at the switch on the back and the internet comes back to full speed without any issues. Turn box back on and the internet virtually dies again.

Because it's networking I have tested and rebooted everything. It's not the router, the cable (connected other devices & reporting full speed) or other devices that are connected - I've troubleshooted all by trial and error with those. I've put my old Spiderbox on the network lead and everything else plugged in from the Nano and no issues.

Any ideas with this? It's truly bizarre, also if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move.

Thanks folks.

Larry-G
19-02-14, 19:07
It's very likely something in your CCcam config file, have a look at that for anomalies.

dutchbath
19-02-14, 19:37
It's very likely something in your CCcam config file, have a look at that for anomalies.

Interesting - thanks. Is there a guide for how it should be formatted correctly for the Nano?

dutchbath
19-02-14, 21:22
Ok, after a bit of digging, you're right - it's definitely the CCCam that's the problem. Stopping that plugin and rebooting and there's no issues, turn it back on and the the internet drops.

I really can't see what's wrong with my CCCam.cfg file to be honest - all very standard. Do I need to be on a higher version of CCCam than 2.3.0?

I've also installed MGCamd from the ipk (version 1.35a), but when trying to start it I get the 'not set up in /var/keys/' message. This directory doesn't exist and I can't create it. Putting the newcamd.list in usr/keys/ doesn't work either.

Any help appreciated! Thanks.

I

Larry-G
19-02-14, 21:33
I use CCcam 2.2.1 from the cams folder at www.openvix.co.uk but you will need to provide your own configuration files.

abu baniaz
19-02-14, 21:38
In your mg_cfg, can you post the line that has L:

dutchbath
19-02-14, 21:42
In your mg_cfg, can you post the line that has L:

Where does the mg_cfg go though? I have the newcamd.list that has the CWS = line in - do i need two files?

dutchbath
19-02-14, 21:43
I use CCcam 2.2.1 from the cams folder at www.openvix.co.uk but you will need to provide your own configuration files.

Yeah got the config file all set up - interesting that you use 2.2.1 - maybe I'll give that a go.

abu baniaz
19-02-14, 22:04
Where does the mg_cfg go though? I have the newcamd.list that has the CWS = line in - do i need two files?
Yes you do.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?24555-original-vu-duo&p=182712#post182712

dutchbath
19-02-14, 22:23
Yes you do.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?24555-original-vu-duo&p=182712#post182712

Working flawlessly - thanks!

ismailbmw
19-02-14, 23:02
HI dutchbath so you took the advise and got the Nano, hope you enjoy it mate

dutchbath
20-02-14, 08:58
Working flawlessly - thanks!

Actually I spoke too soon - this is exhibiting the same behaviour as before now, totally destroying my internet connection as soon as I turn it on.

I've done a factory reset, so completely stock, and without doing anything, when I plug the network cable in and turn it on at the back then again, it kills my internet connection.

So I'm lost, if a complete factory reset (nothing loaded, softcams, bouquets etc - and on latest version of Openvix) then turn it on and it kills my connection then I'm all out of ideas. To confirm again, if I unplug the ethernet lead from the box and plug it into any other device (laptop, old Spiderbox) then the network is fine and I'm getting full speed off the ethernet lead.

Any last ideas before I return it? Thanks.

Rob van der Does
20-02-14, 09:34
CCCam vs 2.3.0 is the one to use. I'm using that from day 1 without any issue.
Make sure to know exactly what you put into your config-file.

MGCamd is very old and has a high risk of bringing in security issues.

ronand
20-02-14, 09:57
A factory reset will not suffice - you will need to reflash the receiver to get it back to virgin condition

dutchbath
20-02-14, 11:15
A factory reset will not suffice - you will need to reflash the receiver to get it back to virgin condition

Thanks, I've just done a full reflash using the latest image. All went well, went through the initial setup (no scans) and it's still doing the same thing of killing my internet connection completely. Just powered it off and all back to normal. And that was literally flashing > reboot > setup.

Is there something in the setup that I'm not getting right, using all the defaults and not scanning - reporting that it can connect to the internet, assigned an IP that I can ping, seems pretty straightforward. One thing I did notice after powering back on after the reflash that there were two red buttons lit up on the front panel - is that normal?

Tearing my hair out here!

ronand
20-02-14, 12:03
Try a different ethernet lead - just because it works on other devices does not mean its not faulty. Also do a power cycle on your router.

dutchbath
20-02-14, 12:38
Try a different ethernet lead - just because it works on other devices does not mean its not faulty. Also do a power cycle on your router.

One of the first things I tried - sorry should have mentioned that. Tried different router ports with different leads with power cycles at all times inbetween. Even tried homeplugs. All give me the same reproducible issue.

fast65
20-02-14, 13:56
if it means anything. I have just had an absolute nightmare after installing mgcam. Was alright for a few days and then crashed my network. I have got network up and running again but still having problems. I had to uninstall mgcam altogether to try to solve problem. If I got internet working as soon as I connected to VU it lost connection, so if you do have mgcam installed it may be worth considering removing it altogether.

dutchbath
20-02-14, 15:35
if it means anything. I have just had an absolute nightmare after installing mgcam. Was alright for a few days and then crashed my network. I have got network up and running again but still having problems. I had to uninstall mgcam altogether to try to solve problem. If I got internet working as soon as I connected to VU it lost connection, so if you do have mgcam installed it may be worth considering removing it altogether.

Thanks, but it was like this before I installed MGCam (I did that as a test after I was suffering from CCCam). And it's still showing the problems without either of those even installed on a fresh flash. Like I say, as soon as I take the Technomate off the network, boom, everything back to normal.

ronand
20-02-14, 15:37
What else have you got on the network?

dutchbath
20-02-14, 16:10
What else have you got on the network?

1 NAS, 1 Laptop, 1 Smart TV - all gigabit wired on 5E minimum, all cables fine and tested & switched through the router/modem - and a few phones / tablets on wireless.

Whilst I'm not a networking guru, I know how to set up a home network and know how it's all configured, so I know that I'm set up correctly. Hence why I'm so stuck...

ronand
20-02-14, 16:17
Disconnect everything from the router just to eliminate a conflict. Also bring your receiver to a friends house to try on a different router - its possible it doesnt like the gigabit router.

dutchbath
20-02-14, 16:47
Already done the first part, still the same. It's a 7800N Billion router / modem which is a high end consumer level product - and EVERYTHING I've ever used before with it has had no issues at all.

Fairly pointless trying it on a separate router as I won't be giving up my 7800N for it, so looks like I'll be returning it. Never had a device do this to my network before and I've had this setup for 5 or so years (being tweaked and checked regularly). Can only assume it's a faulty piece of hardware on the network line in the box. Bizarre.

sanderson82
21-02-14, 00:29
Have u tried giving the Nano a static IP rather than letting it pull one from DHCP?

Do you have any Smart DNS services configured on your router?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoof
22-02-14, 17:11
Hi.
Can't help you with your problem, but why on earth did you buy a Technomate? (OK, I made this mistake too, grrrr!). My advice would be to do what I did - chuck it out and buy a proper box with proper support like a VU.

marty
22-02-14, 18:18
Hi.
Can't help you with your problem, but why on earth did you buy a Technomate? (OK, I made this mistake too, grrrr!). My advice would be to do what I did - chuck it out and buy a proper box with proper support like a VU.

I owned a TM-5200d SUPER for years, still got it too :p
I have a TM-Single too for over a year, never had any issue with it. I would buy TM again if I needed a cheap box.
I find the PQ of the TM-Single better than that of my Gigablue Quad I had until recently.

manicscrewdriver
22-02-14, 19:58
Can't help you with your problem, but why on earth did you buy a Technomate?

Nothing wrong with Technomate receivers Spoof, I've had loads and to be honest I've never had any problems with any of them. Even my TM800 works as it should as too does my ancient TMS 1500 CI+ which is great for activating and updating subscriber cards with.

A lot of the time it all goes down to how they are setup as to how well they work, its easy to blame the receiver when 99% of the time the issue is caused by how the unit has been setup in the first place by the operator. The support for Technomate receivers is just as good as any other brand of receiver i have owned before as they are supported by most of the big image teams.

The customer service by Technomate themselves is also second to non. Remember when the unstable VIX beta image for the TM-Twin was released by somebody who shall remain nameless. The image ended up screwing up a lot of TM-Twin receivers which were repaired free of charge by Technomate. I doubt that Vu+ or Dream Multimedia would be as forthcoming.

I know there have been driver issues in the past, but usually Technomate always sort it out.

I'm not saying the original poster has set the box up incorrectly as there may well be a problem with that particular receiver, but stating the TM receivers are crap is just being ignorant.

Nano

eamo
24-02-14, 16:16
Hi.

I have had Amiko Alien 2, Amiko 8840, Opticum X7, Vu Solo, Ferguson Ariva 250, Gigablue 800 UE, Gigablue 800 SE plus, Technomate 7102 and 6902.

I currently have the TM Single and TM nano and I have to say the TM boxes for me are excellent and would take them over all the ones I mentioned above any day

BubbleBalls
24-02-14, 17:39
Getting sidetracked here but TM pi--ed a lot of users off with the TM2T drivers debacle - took nearly two years to get it right, then they discontinue it. Just sayin.

Tapatālker

Larry-G
24-02-14, 17:58
Getting sidetracked here but TM pi--ed a lot of users off with the TM2T drivers debacle - took nearly two years to get it right, then they discontinue it. Just sayin.

Tapatālker

TM-2T has not been out two years mate, just saying.
TM-twin on the other hand is another story all together.

BubbleBalls
25-02-14, 07:26
Ye, you are right - think I exaggerated there but I'm not that far off. A mate got one, with my advice, in July or Aug 2012, and had diffs until late last year. Working great now but a total put-off for at least a year.

Tapatālker

Donnie
25-02-14, 11:20
I have no idea about these specific box's but I do know CCcam and Mgcamd, with Mgcamd especially you must have the config set correctly, more often or not the default cfg enables network logging.

My advice is disable all logging unless you understand it.

The next thing you need to get right is emms, if you flood the card with network emm's you will have problems.

This applies to CCcam and Mgcamd