PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Streaming to apps

weirskynet
18-02-14, 00:00
Hey folks just wondering if this is possible and if so what app could I use to perform it

Wondering if it's possible to stream a different channel to an app for iPhone or iPad no sure what one to use than what is shown on the tv , most apps I use just mirror the tv channel and when u swipe it chNges channel on app and tv

But since the box is a dual tuner and I have setup both tuners on same sat is it possible to view one channel on tv and have the app get channel from the second tuner allowing to watch 2 different channels ?

dude1
18-02-14, 00:53
I've tried the VU+ Player app which has options for the multi tuner support. I can get it working so it shows another channel than the one on the tv but it barely runs for a few minutes then constantly drops out.

Be interested to know if it works for other people or if there is anything else that works right.

Cheers.

Rob van der Does
18-02-14, 07:11
By the sound of it you're trying to stream an HD-channel. No WiFi has enough bandwidth for that.
So either stream SD-channels/recordings, or use the box's transcoding option.

Trial
18-02-14, 09:11
Hi,

By the sound of it you're trying to stream an HD-channel. No WiFi has enough bandwidth for that.
WiFi has enough bandwidth for it but most smart phones and tablets are only using channels with 20MHz bandwidth instead of 40MHz and therefore only get 65MBit at the best and this is normally not enough.

This fact was new to me to a few weeks ago and I was quite angry. I have quite new equipment and can only get 65MBit in the best case:-(

I have no IOS device but from reading I know that an APP called blackbox (or similar) seams very popular.

ciao

weirskynet
18-02-14, 09:24
I know how to stream that's not the problem and want to stream an sd channel

What I want to know is can you stre a separate channel to the app be it ds or that without the app forcing a channel change on the box itself as most do

So can one person watch a channel on the tv and another stream an sd channel to an iPad

Without changing the channel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob van der Does
18-02-14, 10:36
So can one person watch a channel on the tv and another stream an sd channel to an iPad without changing the channel?
Yes. Any stream will be handled by the box the same way as a recording. So as long as there are free tuners, that is very well possible (and normal behaviour).

Having said that: I'm not familiar with the I-versions of streaming applications. Of course it's a prerequisite that the app can handle it.
If not you could stream via the WEB-IF.

weirskynet
18-02-14, 10:37
Will test tonight when home from app and the web-if

dude1
18-02-14, 14:28

Nope I'm trying on sd channels & it plays a few seconds then glitches or freezes altogether. Sound is also out of sync & then it locks the solo 2 for a couple of minutes when it freezes altogether.

Has anybody had success with the vu player iPad app?

Rob van der Does
18-02-14, 14:39
Nope I'm trying on sd channels & it plays a few seconds then glitches or freezes altogether. Sound is also out of sync & then it locks the solo 2 for a couple of minutes when it freezes altogether.
OK, let me rephrase my remark: by the sound of it it looks like you have a bandwidth problem. You summoned the typical symptoms of that.

dude1
18-02-14, 15:10
OK, let me rephrase my remark: by the sound of it it looks like you have a bandwidth problem. You summoned the typical symptoms of that.

Do you have the vu player app working on an iPad? I'm just trying to find out if could be the app that is the problem as I have no problems streaming any other video such as iplayer, itv player, netflix etc on my iPad.

Thanks.

Rob van der Does
18-02-14, 15:48
I have it working on Android, so not the same thing.
Anyway: the players you name are low-bandwidth users.
What happens if you stream via the WEB-IF? That would require the same bandwith as the VU-player.

dude1
18-02-14, 15:57
I have it working on Android, so not the same thing.
Anyway: the players you name are low-bandwidth users.
What happens if you stream via the WEB-IF? That would require the same bandwith as the VU-player.

Webif streaming doesn't seem to work at all in safari afaik. Interface & epg etc work but when you click on the tv icon for the channel I get an error. It does however stream perfectly on my PC both in SD & HD.

Rob van der Does
18-02-14, 16:03
So streaming to your iPod doesn't work at all then.

dude1
18-02-14, 16:31
So streaming to your iPod doesn't work at all then.

I don't know if Webif is meant to work in the safari browser on ipad? Like I said it streams briefly in vu player but then glitches, sometimes freezes & the sound is out of sync.

I'm trying to find out if anybody has any app running smoothly from a vu solo 2 to an ipad?

Thanks.

Rob van der Does
18-02-14, 17:18
I don't know if Webif is meant to work in the safari browser on ipad?
Yes, it is. There is no platform or browser restriction.
Obviously a videoplayer (plugin?) is required.

Like I said it streams briefly in vu player but then glitches, sometimes freezes & the sound is out of sync.
Like I said: bandwidth issues.

dude1
18-02-14, 18:08
I appreciate your points but can you offer any help with getting the streaming working on an ipad?

As I said 'I'm trying to find out if anybody has any app running smoothly from a vu solo 2 to an ipad?'

weirskynet
18-02-14, 18:19
Aye I notice freezes and glitches on multiple apps

Using he e2remote pro app works in house fine over wifi also to my ipad

But outside it doesn't freezes etc

Strange as I have plex media server and can load up the plex app and stream full hd content from the pc to the iPad on wifi outside also so seems a bit weird that bandwidth could be an issue here as I have 10mb upload ?

BubbleBalls
18-02-14, 18:30
I use e2remote on iPhone - I used to stream on occasion but it's been a while. I can try tonight if you like?

Tapatālker

dude1
18-02-14, 21:17
Aye I notice freezes and glitches on multiple apps

Using he e2remote pro app works in house fine over wifi also to my ipad

But outside it doesn't freezes etc

Strange as I have plex media server and can load up the plex app and stream full hd content from the pc to the iPad on wifi outside also so seems a bit weird that bandwidth could be an issue here as I have 10mb upload ?

Glad it's not just me who has problem streaming to the vu player app. Shame as it's a free app. Not tried the e2remote pro as was hoping one of the free ones might work.

I use e2remote on iPhone - I used to stream on occasion but it's been a while. I can try tonight if you like?

Tapatālker

Yes be interested how you get on if you get chance to try a few of the apps as well.

Thanks.

Rob van der Does
18-02-14, 21:21
I don't think it's the app that's failing. The symptoms you described point to bandwidth issues; nothing an app can do about that.

weirskynet
18-02-14, 21:38
But how can it be bandwidth if I can stream full hd content from plex outside ?

dude1
18-02-14, 21:38
I don't think it's the app that's failing. The symptoms you described point to bandwidth issues; nothing an app can do about that.

So can you suggest anything?

weirskynet
18-02-14, 22:08
Also trying to stream sky atlantic hd to pc from openweb-if

both thru network cabled

get failed to render the file on media player classic , have klite codec pack latest installed

Rob van der Does
18-02-14, 22:27
But how can it be bandwidth if I can stream full hd content from plex outside ?
Also to the iPod?
Anyway: bandwidth issues can be related to any link in the chain: STB - Connector - Cable - Switch - Router - WiFi-iPod etc etc.
And the symptoms simply tell you that there is a bandwidth issue. Not easy to repair from here.

Also trying to stream sky atlantic hd to pc from openweb-if
both thru network cabled
get failed to render the file on media player classic , have klite codec pack latest installed
And using VLC?
And do you have the line 'Add service name to stream information' (last line in the Open WEB-IF config) set to 'no'?
Streaming via the WEB-IF should simply work. Both to a PC as to a mobile device.

weirskynet
18-02-14, 22:31
yes using VLC and have the add service name to stream set to off

this is the error i get xx's where my ip and port are

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'http://xx.xxx.xx.xx:xxxx/1:0:19:F1A:7D5:2:11A0000:0:0:0:'. Check the log for details.

BubbleBalls
18-02-14, 22:32
no issues with e2remote or vu+ player - both play SD flawlessly. BUT both cannot stream HD. It is noted on e2remote site/app that hd streaming will not work.

I have just been using openwebif to watch Champions League on UTV HD - no issues either.

edit - in e2remote lite I think it allows you to stream for one minute - just to test?

weirskynet
18-02-14, 22:39
can get it working now thru network both normal and hd channels dunno what changed lol but works ok now

cant get hd on ipad tho nothing works but can stream internal network to it sd channels

weirskynet
18-02-14, 22:45
wee update also i edited the ushare.conf file so it reads

# Directories to be shared (space or CSV list).
# Ex: USHARE_DIR=/dir1,/dir2
USHARE_DIR=/media/hdd/
USHARE_DIR=/media/hdd/movie

this allows me to read the tsmedia downloads to the box also along with the normal recordings in the vlc player for ios as it auto detects the ushare

danivtec
18-02-14, 23:00
I appreciate your points but can you offer any help with getting the streaming working on an ipad?

As I said 'I'm trying to find out if anybody has any app running smoothly from a vu solo 2 to an ipad?'

Had Boxnation HD streaming on my iPad with blackbox on 5Ghz wireless n fine at the weekend. Was glitchy using 2.4ghz

weirskynet
19-02-14, 00:05
Had Boxnation HD streaming on my iPad with blackbox on 5Ghz wireless n fine at the weekend. Was glitchy using 2.4ghz

How can u set freq?

dude1
19-02-14, 00:18
How can u set freq?

That will be router specific. I have a wireless n router but I don't think it supports the 5ghz frequency as well as the 2.4ghz standard. I'll double check though.

@BubbleBalls Was what you had working all using an iPad?
@weirskynet Which app did you get working?

Thanks.

weirskynet
19-02-14, 00:58
I got vlc player working on PC and can get vlc player on iPad to see ushare folders

E2remote pro works for sd channels

BubbleBalls
19-02-14, 01:19
iPhone for e2remote and vu player. Windows PC for openwebif. I also have wireless but my iPhone (4) is not really n compatable.

Tapatālker