PDA

View Full Version : Just curious about DVB-T USB

Maxwell
06-11-10, 13:27
I am just curious as to why the need for USB DVB-T is so important, it seems to be a big issue and that some people are mad to have it.

AFAIK all DVB-T channels are available anyway via Sat so whats the big deal or am I missing something ?

MalteseMick
06-11-10, 13:48
Just an extra tuner I imagine, lets you record more things at once.

bjornon
06-11-10, 13:50
I can only answer for my part - and for me it's about having an extra tuner. It may be handy when recording on one or several channels at once, or as a backup when the signal from the sat dish is weakened by heavy snow or rain.

bjornon

Maxwell
06-11-10, 14:03
I can only answer for my part - and for me it's about having an extra tuner. It may be handy when recording on one or several channels at once

bjornon

Then would it not be better to work on a USB DVB-S tuner module, currently both my dishes (1 fixed 1 motor) are fitted with twin LNBs but only use one output from each.

MalteseMick
06-11-10, 14:19
I'd agree with that - or maybe even a DVB-C tuner. I've got Virgin broadband so could use the FTA channels off that line for recording too and it would allow me to experiment with a few things.

irishchris
06-11-10, 15:27
no in irelands case there are a few and will be more next year that will be dvb-t only {not on sat}

bob1
07-11-10, 18:55
There are a few channels on freeview that you can't get on freesat ,its also very good for recording , i used to have a dm7025 with one of each tuner and used to record 3 channels at once leaving the sat tuner free ,having two sat tuners free would be great.

xarqi
08-11-10, 04:03
In NZ, the only "official" HD FTA is via DVB-T; DVB-S content is SD only. I have no coverage for terrestrial UHF where I live, so my only option for digital TV is DVB-S, but if they plant an infill DVB-T transmitter in just the right place, a USB DVB-T option would then allow me to get HD.

pooface
08-11-10, 10:03
I think the same goes for Italy, where there are quite a few terrestrial packages available (free and subscription), that people want to use their box to receive. Hence, the big italian fan party of de/blackhole...

BKD
08-11-10, 15:17
I am just curious as to why the need for USB DVB-T is so important, it seems to be a big issue and that some people are mad to have it.

AFAIK all DVB-T channels are available anyway via Sat so whats the big deal or am I missing something ?

In Sweden we've got a quite popular channel as FTA that we can view via DVB-T, but it's only distributed in parallell via one sat operator (Viasat). Hence, the need for USB DVB-T in Sweden (for people with other sat operators). It's also nice with a third tuner. :)

prasinos
15-11-10, 18:22
In Cyprus the analog terrestrial UHF transmishions will gone at april 2011. So the logal channells will transfer their singlal to the island via digital terrestrial antennas using the MPEG4 compression. Now you can watch these channels free by adding on your system one MPEG4 decoder, or by a new TV, which can decode MPEG4 signal. The third option is to add an extra tuner on your satellite decoder and make it combo (sat-terrestrial). In Cyprus the local channels are not available via satellite

Likvid
15-11-10, 21:04
For me it's great living in Sweden with DVB-T as all basic Swedish channels are free on DVB-T, on sat i have to pay for the same channels so i save alot of money.

Also our cable network in the house i live have changed their system from DVB-C to DVB-T so i can receive even more channels.

Huevos
15-11-10, 21:49
Here DVB-T channels are not available via satellite without a subscription.