PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying TM Twin OE - Opinions Please

pz8l8t
12-02-14, 13:47
Hi Guys,
I'm considering buying a TM Twin OE. I already have a Vu Solo2 and was considering buying another but like a couple of the things the TM Twin offers which the the Solo2 doesn't:

* RF Out
* Loop out
* 3.5 inch HDD support

Can people on here who own/owned how advise on there experience of the receiver. I'm only going to really use it for the following:

* Watch TV
* Record one watch another
* Wife's wants to be able to setup timer records for her programs (series record)
* Record 2 (timer)
* Possibel on deman

The above is my main criteria. The Solo2 handles the above very well and I have had no issues. Is the TM Twin as reliable?

Apreciate any feedback
Thanks

marty
12-02-14, 14:34
I can't speak for the Twin but I've owned the Single for over a year.
VERY happy with it and there is NO REASON why the Twin wouldn't do the things you ask (The VU+ DUO does and has the same CPU)
I find the picture quality very good for such a cheap box.

Most of the things you ask are dependent on the image used rather than the make/model of box. With VIX you'll get all that :thumbsup:

pz8l8t
12-02-14, 14:44
Thanks maty. See you have a Vu+ also :-). Have you tried the Vu+ andriod app on the single as a remote control? One of the reasons for wanting the TM Twin is the RF out as I have co-ax cables running inside the walls to the bedroom and kitchen. The Vu+ andriod apps would allow be to control the TM Twin from either room if it works of cause as a remote.

pz8l8t
12-02-14, 14:45
Sorry Marty, got you as maty above. typing to quick :eek:

marty
12-02-14, 14:53
Thanks maty. See you have a Vu+ also :-). Have you tried the Vu+ andriod app on the single as a remote control? One of the reasons for wanting the TM Twin is the RF out as I have co-ax cables running inside the walls to the bedroom and kitchen. The Vu+ andriod apps would allow be to control the TM Twin from either room if it works of cause as a remote.

Yes, works perfectly :thumbsup:

kendo75
12-02-14, 15:50
Had a tm twin for almost a year now,had a few teething troubles to begin with but that was down to tm's drivers,but once they sorted those I can't fault it ,flash it with the latest vix image and you can't go wrong

abu baniaz
12-02-14, 15:56
As above comments, ticks the boxes you want.

Only concern you may have is waking up for a recording if in deep standby. Other receivers fail on this feature too.

marty
12-02-14, 16:06
As above comments, ticks the boxes you want.

Only concern you may have is waking up for a recording if in deep standby. Other receivers fail on this feature too.

Pointless feature, can't see why you would want to do that?

pz8l8t
12-02-14, 16:39
Thanks for the feedback guys. Must admit I've never put the Solo2 into deep standby, well I don't think I have. Always just press the red button on the remote to put in standby.

Everything sounds positive. Just wanted to make sure as TM do have a history of not being the most forcoming company with driver updates for the linux recievers.

Think I might take the plunge and buy. Its will save me over £100 compared to the Solo2 which is always a bonus :D

marty
12-02-14, 16:47
Original DUO is an option too ;)

pz8l8t
12-02-14, 16:55
Don't think the DUO has RF out and Loop out does it?

marty
12-02-14, 16:58
Don't think the DUO has RF out and Loop out does it?

No, but an rf convertor is less than £20

pz8l8t
12-02-14, 17:03
Yes seen those. TBH, if I can avoid them (extra plug and space) I will, hence the questions about the TM Twin. Otherwise, if I go down the converter route I'll probably buy another Vu+ Solo2.

marty
12-02-14, 17:07
True :) get the TM ;)

pz8l8t
12-02-14, 17:17
cheers buddy. very eager to take the plunge. will probably hold out a couple of days to do a bit more resource..

pz8l8t
16-02-14, 17:10
I went ahead and brought the box. Should have it tomorrow or tuesday :-)

RL73
17-02-14, 20:01
I went ahead and brought the box. Should have it tomorrow or tuesday :-)
Return it as soon as it arrives and save the heartache of it crashing and missing recordings, failed epg loads etc etc. I owned a TM2T for a year and had nothing but problems.
The main reason for purchase was for the RF out but it was utter s***

I replaced with a VU Solo 2 a couple of months ago and the reliability and speed is amazing. Not one issue/missed recording/crash. Also running VIX.

Check out my comments on missed recordings etc. It was never fixed even with TM new drivers. Would never touch a TM again.

judge
18-02-14, 01:11
Return it as soon as it arrives and save the heartache of it crashing and missing recordings, failed epg loads etc etc. I owned a TM2T for a year and had nothing but problems.
The main reason for purchase was for the RF out but it was utter s***

I replaced with a VU Solo 2 a couple of months ago and the reliability and speed is amazing. Not one issue/missed recording/crash. Also running VIX.

Check out my comments on missed recordings etc. It was never fixed even with TM new drivers. Would never touch a TM again.

Nonsense. The TM-Twin & TM2T work perfectly well with current ViX images.
You can be sure there would be a lot more complaints popping up here if they didn't.
TM get the drivers wrong every now & again but so do VU, GigaBlue & so on...

kendo75
18-02-14, 09:21
Well I for one can't fault my TM twin fantastic bit of kit does all I want it to do and probably more if I was to delve a bit deeper

pz8l8t
25-02-14, 13:38
So I thought I would provide an update in case anybody else has the same questions as I did.

Had the technomate twin for 1 week now. So far I've been impressed with its stability. It has crashed on me a couple of times when trying to changing aspect ratio (suspect its a bug) and it also froze on me last night when trying to record, download via tsmedia and then trying to clean up some previous timers. Nothing to brother about really. Other than that its been rock solid. Setup a few timer records all worked prefectly. Setup a series record yesterday which kicked on ok (will monitor over the next few weeks but don't expect any issues).

So I'm happy with the purchase and the few quid saved over the Solo2.

Some oberservsations when comparing it against my Solo2:

* It is nowhere near as quick as the Solo2 in terms of responsiveness. The remote of the Solo2 is far more responsive as is the system itself (menu, epg, scrolling etc). I'm not overly surprised about this given the difference in CPU. Having said this, I wasn't really aware of how fast the Solo2 was compared to the rest of the market until I brought the TM.

* The TM does run hotter than the Solo2. The Solo2 runs at about 35C on standby and about 29C when watching TV. The TM runs at 55C-59C on standby and about 46C when watching TV. Having read a few posts on here about the running temp of the TM, it seems this is normal.

*Overall I would say the TM Twin is a solid performing box but is not in the same league as the Solo2 in terms of speed. The look and feel is the same and so far I haven't found anything that the Solo2 can do that the TM can't. If like me your after specific features which the Solo2 doesn't have or looking so save your ~£100 then I would say buy the TM Twin. If money isn't an issue and your not after RF out, loop out, and 3.5 inch hdd capabilties the twin offers then the Solo2 would be my recommendation.

manicscrewdriver
25-02-14, 14:55
It makes me laugh everyone who complains about the TM-2T. Even though I only had mine for a few weeks, thanks to some moron parking his double decker bus in the front of my car, I thought it was an amazing little receiver. Once it was all setup I never had any issues with it at all.

Even the recordings worked Ok on it. As i have set before it usually down to user setup on how well a receiver performs. If you fill the memory up with plugins which you will never use or ones that are known to cause issues then they will cause problems. I set my main receiver up with the bare minimum of plugins I need and everyone bar the crappy Amiko Alien 2 I had has worked flawlessly.

All of my current receivers work fine and I never need to mess with them, even the TM800 and nBox5800s.

Nano