PDA

View Full Version : Signing up

MalteseMick
06-11-10, 02:32
Hi,

Although very inexperienced with developing images for Linux STB I have been developing software in various languages for about 8 years and I'd like to try sign up to contribute to this project, as a hobby.

At this point I'm probably going to be asking more questions than I'm answering but I'm keen to know if I could help in any way?

thanks,
Mick

andyblac
06-11-10, 18:37
Hi,

Although very inexperienced with developing images for Linux STB I have been developing software in various languages for about 8 years and I'd like to try sign up to contribute to this project, as a hobby.

At this point I'm probably going to be asking more questions than I'm answering but I'm keen to know if I could help in any way?

thanks,
Mick

what coding language do you know ?, the main enigma2 and all plugins are coded in python. i knew nothing about about python at all, when we started our ViX image,

so if you want to help out, that great and would be welcome, but if i where you i would start my looking at the plguin folder open up some .py files and search the net and see if you can understand any of it. i just dont really have the time to start to train anyone, i don't mean to sound harsh, it just i at present am the sole coder, and we all have lives, but if you can understand it. i have coupe if little plugin projects that you code try to code. but i don't really want to give anyone access to our code without knowing you.

hope you understand :)

pooface
06-11-10, 19:40
As andy says, if you've got some programming experience it should be quite easy to pick up.

I haven't had any experience of python either, but from my c/c+ experience, I can kind of understand the code. Biggest problem I have is getting the time to do any coding...

Managed to get a sample plugin running, but not had time to work on any real polygons yet :-(

So if you can fill us in with any experience you have...

MalteseMick
07-11-10, 16:13
I'm currently a windows developer with C#. I have however worked quite a bit in the past with PHP, VB6 and ASP. I've ran a few websites on Linux servers and as you would imagine have a decent amount of experience with configuring scripts to work in different environments. I've never worked with Python but hopefully it's one of those things that when you know one language it only takes a bit of googling to find the syntax to do it in another language. From what I can see with VIX so far, you seem to be mostly integrating external already written code or modifying existing engima2 code to make it's integration more seemless.

I think I'd see my contribution as being an extension of this, in that there is functionality there which is good but could be done better with a few changes - the likes of the Virtual Zap (in my opinion) would be better as a default for scrolling through channels rather than the default being the traditional enigma2 big EPG and instant channel changes on left and right, the virtual zap should have a one button record like Sky+ which will automatically record the program you're scrolling through without any extra steps - and also let you scroll further than Now and Next.

Other things include Cool EPG's channel text being too big and difficult to follow (and I can't seem to find a page down button). Modifying (non code) aspects of this to make it easier to read as well as again adding a one-button-record function (this might be there too but haven't seen it) would make the whole image more user friendly.

Maxwell
07-11-10, 16:27
Mick - Been looking at the coding of python myself, here
http://www.python.org/ been a long time since I did any sort of coding (Fortran, C, C++) though so I dont think I could help much. good luck tho

andyblac
14-11-10, 01:01
I'm currently a windows developer with C#. I have however worked quite a bit in the past with PHP, VB6 and ASP. I've ran a few websites on Linux servers and as you would imagine have a decent amount of experience with configuring scripts to work in different environments. I've never worked with Python but hopefully it's one of those things that when you know one language it only takes a bit of googling to find the syntax to do it in another language. From what I can see with VIX so far, you seem to be mostly integrating external already written code or modifying existing engima2 code to make it's integration more seemless.

not at all, i coded all our vix plugin from scratch :), but yes i have fixed alot of peoples plugin to work better with integration the problem when wrinting plugins is that they tend to create them of all images, but this does sometimes not work, think of it like microsoft windows for all pc hardware, and osx just for macs.

I think I'd see my contribution as being an extension of this, in that there is functionality there which is good but could be done better with a few changes - the likes of the Virtual Zap (in my opinion) would be better as a default for scrolling through channels rather than the default being the traditional enigma2 big EPG and instant channel changes on left and right, the virtual zap should have a one button record like Sky+ which will automatically record the program you're scrolling through without any extra steps - and also let you scroll further than Now and Next.

wait till you see our QuickEPG,it based on virtualZap, but you can view all 7 days worth of epg on any channel, add timers, setup autotimers, do a EPG search, do a IMDb search.

Other things include Cool EPG's channel text being too big and difficult to follow (and I can't seem to find a page down button). Modifying (non code) aspects of this to make it easier to read as well as again adding a one-button-record function (this might be there too but haven't seen it) would make the whole image more user friendly.

it has all of these now, press menu whilst in CoolTVGuide, you can change font sizes, as for page down it is button 8, page up is button 2, and the REC button should record the item highlighted.

andy.