PDA

View Full Version : Editing channel picon?

Martincape
11-02-14, 00:07
Hi guys,

Some channels on the epg do not have picons. Is it possible to copy a picon onto a channel to use the same picture? As in BBC red button 1 has a picon but 2 doesn't.

abu baniaz
11-02-14, 01:08
Yes you can. Copy to PC, rename to match the service ID you want and then transfer back.

You can make life easier by grabbing a screen shot using webif while on the channel. The screengrab will be named according to service ID. Rename, copy the name. Proceed to rename the picon, you can then paste the name you had just copied. Hope that makes sense.

Rob van der Does
11-02-14, 07:40
Use one of the Ocram packages from the feeds; they use symlinks.

Martincape
13-02-14, 22:24
Just realised you'd replied. Thanks for that pal. Could you explain again please? I've never done it before. All it has is a loads of numbers before the .png.

abu baniaz
13-02-14, 23:05
The simple answer is that the picon name must match service reference. All those numbers are service reference.

While on channel, press
Menu > Information > Service

This will show you the service reference.

sigpark
14-02-14, 00:34
Couple of tips:

Picons should be saved to hard disk or USB flash/disk as they can be quite large for system flash memory of most models.

Don't forget that if you are using the Ocram Picon feed mentioned by @Rob van der Does - which has regular updates - then any renaming on your side will be overwritten by the update

As stated by @abu baniaz for your own customisation, you must rename the relevant picon image to the service name found at from Menu > Information > Service. I think you then need to restart ViX.

abu baniaz
14-02-14, 00:40
If you get stuck, these are details.

BBC RB 1

1_0_1_18F6_7FD_2_11A0000_0_0_0

BBC RB 2

1_0_1_D3AE_81C_2_11A0000_0_0_0

These two by Nephilim have been renamed for you. They are the Summer olympic ones.

Rob van der Does
14-02-14, 06:01
The simple answer is that the picon name must match service reference. All those numbers are service reference.

While on channel, press
Menu > Information > Service

This will show you the service reference.
Easier to use DreamBoxEdit for that: then you can use cut & paste.

Couple of tips:

Picons should be saved to hard disk or USB flash/disk as they can be quite large for system flash memory of most models.
Never ever use the HDD for picons: even the existence of an empty picon-folder will slow down zapping enormously.
I find flash to be the very best location for picons: even a small box like my ET5000 has plenty of flash available.
I always use the Ocram SHD-black-nopadding: covers the most commonly used satellites, beautiful and thanks to the intelligent use of symlinks a small package.

Martincape
14-02-14, 16:20
Easier to use DreamBoxEdit for that: then you can use cut & paste.

Never ever use the HDD for picons: even the existence of an empty picon-folder will slow down zapping enormously.
I find flash to be the very best location for picons: even a small box like my ET5000 has plenty of flash available.
I always use the Ocram SHD-black-nopadding: covers the most commonly used satellites, beautiful and thanks to the intelligent use of symlinks a small package.

When I installed the picons from the Vix feeds, it didn't ask where to install. Just automatically installed on the hdd. I'm using the ocram ones. Can I move the folder?

Rob van der Does
14-02-14, 16:29
That can't be: one is always asker where to install (if several locations are available).
Yes: you can manually move the folder. Make sure that no folder 'picon' remains on the HDD (not even an empty one).

Martincape
15-02-14, 17:09
Sorted. Done it quite easily.

Moved picons to the USB too. Doesn't give an option to install there for some reason.

Not sure how to use dreambox edit software.

Rob van der Does
15-02-14, 18:10
That means that your USB-device is not in Ext2/3/4 format. As that format is required for supporting symlinks, the stick will not be offered as location. So now you have manually moved the folder to the USB stick, none of the symlinks will work.

Martincape
15-02-14, 18:21
It allows me to save EPG and backups to it.

How would I convert to ext2/3/4? Would I delete partition on a laptop then mount the USB device like I did with my external hdd?

What are symlinks pal?

Rob van der Does
15-02-14, 18:36
Correct: EPG and backups require no symlinks.

Symlinks are a kind of shortcut (as they are called under Windows). Using them means that any picon will have to be in the folder only once, and all services using the same one get a symlink to that p.g. This reduces the space required by picons dramatically.
Have a look in the folder when you have a good set installed (e.g. Ocram's picons) to see how that works.

You can simply format in Ext4 by having the stick initialised by the box.

Martincape
15-02-14, 18:38
Yea I've seen them actually. I looked and noticed they looked like shortcuts. Had me baffled lol.

Can I enable the ext format on the USB? By deleting partition and allowing the solo to initialise?

Rob van der Does
15-02-14, 18:39
No need to delete: just initialise the stick.

Martincape
15-02-14, 19:11
Cheers pal. I'll try that later. And reinstall picons on USB :)

daz12
15-02-14, 19:41
hi
can anyone tell me how to get all my channels back on my technomate tm500 super and hoe to add satellite cause i cant find astra 28.2
Cheers

Rob van der Does
15-02-14, 22:06
can anyone tell me how to get all my channels back on my technomate tm500 super and hoe to add satellite cause i cant find astra 28.2
Cheers
Don't high-jack a thread about a complete different issue: create your own!

Martincape
15-02-14, 23:00
Got it initialised pal. Picons installed on USB now :)

Is there anyway to create a symlink in the picon folder? I see what you mean now. They are pointing to the png destination.

abu baniaz
15-02-14, 23:06
Is there anyway to create a symlink in the picon folder?
What do you mean? Maybe an example/explanation of what you want to achieve?
Symlinks work on ext file system so should be possible.

Martincape
15-02-14, 23:08
In my picon root folder, there a big list of picons with the service channel name. They point to the actual png file further into the picon folder. How do I create a symlink to a png file further into the picon directory?

abu baniaz
15-02-14, 23:23
What is the path/name of png file?
What is the service refernce?

abu baniaz
15-02-14, 23:45
Hopefully I got this the right way around

picture is /media/usb/picon/tv/b/bbcredbutton.png
the link we want created is /media/usb/picon/1_0_1_D3AE_81C_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png

Telnet the following command:
ln -s /media/usb/picon/tv/b/bbcredbutton.png /media/usb/picon/1_0_1_D3AE_81C_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png

Martincape
16-02-14, 09:19
That's exactly right pal. How do I create this command in Windows?

Do I use command prompt?

marty
16-02-14, 09:38
That's exactly right pal. How do I create this command in Windows?

Do I use command prompt?

Use a program called putty ;) and use the telnet setting.
Any trouble post back here :thumbsup:

marty
16-02-14, 09:44
You can download Putty here.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

This is the setup. (click picture to make bigger)

Martincape
16-02-14, 09:48
Thanks for that pal. I'll have a go at that later when I get home from work. So this will send it straight to the box too?

marty
16-02-14, 09:52
Thanks for that pal. I'll have a go at that later when I get home from work. So this will send it straight to the box too?

Yep, its so you can send commands to your STB from your PC.
Very useful tool.

Have a look here ;)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?3866-Database-of-Common-Telnet-commands-for-Linux-based-STB-s

Martincape
17-02-14, 21:07
Hi mate,

Got it downloaded, when I put my details into the putty window, it opens up a command prompt looking screen. How do I use it to create a symlink?

abu baniaz
17-02-14, 21:12
after you log in, just paste that ln....... command

Martincape
17-02-14, 21:23
It wont let me paste into the command screen. But when I typed it out, as I guessed I wrote the command in, it came up with an error.

abu baniaz
17-02-14, 21:30
You cant paste by using in putty using ctrl&v (AFAIK), but right click does the trick.

Post a screenshot if you still get an error

Martincape
17-02-14, 21:31
Just figured out right click does it lol. I right clicked, then assumed I pressed enter. The screen closes but I cannot find the symlink it is supposed to have created.

abu baniaz
17-02-14, 21:33
Screen is not meant to close. Are you certain you are using telnet instead of default ssh. Sorry have to ask.

Martincape
17-02-14, 21:36
Wohoo. Sorted. I wasn't typing "root" first, then pasting into the next line. Only realised I'd done it correctly when it said file already exists :)

Martincape
17-02-14, 21:50
Is there any way of finding out the service name for multiple channels at once? Most of the Box Office channels have no picon, I want to link the ones without the the Box Office picon?

abu baniaz
17-02-14, 23:51
I use AutoBouquets 28.2 by Lraizer. Once the picons have been set, their symlinks are maintained withouyt user intervention. You only have to be concerned about new/renamed channels.
I have a semi finished excel package that uses the csv file created by AB 28.2. Symlinks are there, I am sure they are correct. However, there has been a slight issue identified for the ROI channels. Attached is an edited version which should serve your purpose.

Best to await a proper response fromone of the senior guys though.

Martincape
18-02-14, 20:34
That's for that pal. Most helpful :)