PDA

View Full Version : Which Twin Tuner Satellite Receiver Do You Recommend?

Andy_Hazza
09-02-14, 17:22
Hi Peeps,

A friend has asked me to get him a satellite receiver, twin tuner with 500gig hard drive for no more than £250. It needs to run ViX. I have always opted for VU plus as I believe in quality. I read an interesting bit where Phoenix mentions about future proof satellite receivers. I have narrowed it down to 2 receivers, the VU+ Duo and the Technomate TM-Nano-2T. I would have said the Duo every time but with the future proof in mind I'm now unsure. I know the Duo has memory issues and this can easily be overcome by setting up a swap file and setting up power timers to help ease the burden on the Duo, but with the new ViX image being developed I don't want to get a Duo if it's going to struggle with future images etc?
Your help would be much appreciated, and any thoughts on a different receiver, BUT I will stress he won't budge over £250 with an hard drive included.
Any thoughts peeps?

Thanks,

Larry-G
09-02-14, 17:33
Dont worry, the next ViX image will run just as well on a Duo as this one does, my comments about future proofing were only that the Duo is now around 3 years old and compared to most mid level receivers out now has a very low amount of memory which means it can struggle with memory intensive processes.

I personally love my White Duo and my youngest brother who is a total technophobe has my old black Duo, which he has no issues using, but if i was buying a receiver rite now it would not be a Duo but something with a little more grunt to be able to cope with what ever E2 brings in the future.

marty
09-02-14, 17:33
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/gigablue-hd800se-plus-hd-800-se-twin-satellite-tuner

Andy_Hazza
09-02-14, 17:56
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/gigablue-hd800se-plus-hd-800-se-twin-satellite-tuner

Only thing letting this down is the ability to not be able to have an internal hard drive. Such a shame in my opinion.

Stanman
09-02-14, 18:14
If I was in the market for a twin tuner, my recommendation would be either the SOLO2 or Gigablue Quad, both are fast and capable box.

If your budget cannot stretch that farm than consider the TM2T over the DUO