PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Duo - control it when in a cupboard?

mike_6480
08-02-14, 16:44
I am just about to purchase a VU+ Duo. I currently have a sky + box. The sky + box is in a cupboard so we use a magic eye to change the channel.

I know the magic eye won't work with the VU+ do box (as no rf2 out).

What do I need just to be able to control the VU+ duo box when it is in the cupboard (don't need to be able to feed to another TV, just control the box in the cupboard):

1) Global link plus? (but how does it connect to the VU+ duo box?)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GLOBAL-INVACOM-LINK-ADAPTER-MAGIC/dp/B00GZ5A63U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1391872073&sr=8-4&keywords=global+link+plus

2) RF modulator + use existing magic eye?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Scart-Coax-Video-Modulator/dp/B000M6SMKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391872239&sr=8-1&keywords=rf+modulator

3) Triax tri-link? (more than I want to pay really)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRI-LINK-Control-Freesat-Freeview-around/dp/B002R634DU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391871867&sr=8-2&keywords=triax

Or do I need a combination of the above? I so, what?

If anyone can provide details of how I would set this up that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help
Mike

Larry-G
08-02-14, 18:14
One thing you dont want to do is place a Vu+duo in a cupboard with poor to no airflow.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

mike_6480
08-02-14, 19:04
Don't worry it is in a proper entertainment unit with opening round the back for airflow. It just doesn't have a glass front so need something to control it without leaving the door open all the time

hifial
08-02-14, 19:09
The Philex omnilink + is the best cheap solution @ £25

Trial
08-02-14, 19:13
Hi,
4. smart phone
5. logitech Ultimate

ciao

mike_6480
08-02-14, 20:05
The Philex omnilink + is the best cheap solution @ £25

Can you confirm how it works?

It only seems to have a coaxial connection so I presume it doesn't connect to the box? Ie coaxial is only for if you want to send a signal to another tv?

Do the ir sensors just go in front of the box and transmit the signal and it doesn't actually physically connect to the box?

mickyblueys
08-02-14, 20:10
Just use your smartphone e.g iPhone, Samsung galaxy....etc

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

mike_6480
08-02-14, 20:36
Just use your smartphone e.g iPhone, Samsung galaxy....etc

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

That's a possibility but I have a harmony remote that controls the tv, amp etc. would rather just use one remote rather than having a remote and have to use a smartphone as well

hifial
08-02-14, 22:02
Can you confirm how it works?

It only seems to have a coaxial connection so I presume it doesn't connect to the box? Ie coaxial is only for if you want to send a signal to another tv?

Do the ir sensors just go in front of the box and transmit the signal and it doesn't actually physically connect to the box?

Yeah if you just want to control the box it doesn't need to connect to the box but make sure you get the + version as the standard has no power supply as it can be power from RF2 on a sky box. You just stick the sensor on the front of the box. I use them in my job all the time they're great value

cactikid
08-02-14, 23:34
a trick a friend tried with a hidden cable box was to use tin foil 6" in front of box and more tin foil at rear so beam hit the rear and was reflected toward the front of unit into unit, a 6p fix:D