PDA

View Full Version : View on 2nd tv via network?

HNO3
08-02-14, 10:07
HI Guys,

I was going to buy a 2nd box for the bedroom but then realised that it wouldn't be able to control the dish. As there's only me I can manage with one box if I can get the signal upstairs as well.
I am wondering if it is possible to view the tv programs from my solo2 on a 2nd (smart) tv using the network. Currently the vu+ box and 2nd tv are both connected to my router and rather than drilling holes in my ceiling to run a v long HDMI to the second box upstairs, can I use the existing network cables?
If so how do I go about it. (I will be buying an IR repeater and spare remote so I can change channel from upstairs.)

Trial
08-02-14, 10:15
Hi,
live TV and also recordings watching via network on a smart TV is problematic. DLNA/uPnP sometimes work for recordings and seldom with MediaTomb and TunerServer also for Live TV. When you have a second E2 box you can "borrow" a tuner from your Solo2 and watch recordings and Live TV without any problems even if you do not have a cable from your LNB. Other possibilities: Mediaplayer based on XBMC or Android Stick.

ciao

HNO3
08-02-14, 12:15
Thanks for the quick reply.
What do you mean by second 'E2' box?.
I have a second set of dish cables to the bedroom already, but as its motorised, the dish can only be controlled by the 1st channel on the downstairs receiver as far as I am aware (the 1st cable from the lnb passes through the dish motor). Or am I missing something

Trial
08-02-14, 19:17
Hi,
E2 is short for Enigma2 which is part of the software on a lot of Linux receiver like ET/VU/GigaBlue and so on. The E2 has the possibility that you can use a Tuner in box A (downstairs) in box B (upstairs) over the network. Additionally everything in usage is the same between these boxes.

ciao