PDA

View Full Version : overscan garbage only on Duo 2

parkher
04-02-14, 14:40
Please confirm that everybody has it?

At the edges of the screen there is garbage, mostly at the top, but not only. Sometimes at the bottom and some at the left and/or right side too.
Exactly the same channels with Vu+ Ultimo (still with ViX image 2.4 build 213 from 2012) - everything OK, no garbage at all.
My Duo 2 has ViX image 3.0 build 808 - the last available, but new images used to show up several times a day and stopped completely after December 21.

Because everything is digital at all the stages after the initial signals decoding I don't understand how there can be any differences between Ultimo and Duo 2.
If it is a software problem, or driver problem - then everybody has it?
If only I have it - then it is a hardware problem, but how can it be a hardware problem?

Is there a plugin, perhaps, which allows to fine-tune the screen size and position?

The problem became very unpleasant after I learned that Panasonic will no longer make plasma TVs and grabbed 65" VT60.
On this TV there is an option in 16:9 mode: overscan off / on.
With Ultimo, overscan on is not even needed - the picture is perfect anyway.
With Duo 2, even after switching overscan on, still some garbage is remaining. Not much, but some - which may cause a burn in on a new TV.
So I have to switch to zoom mode. In that mode the TV allows to zoom and move the picture only vertically, unfortunately.
It is not enough. There is only one step of horizontal zoom - and a very large step (when changing channels, the first three letters of the channel name are cut off together with the garbage). Afterwards, to fix the aspect ratio, I need to apply much more vertical zoom than needed too.
So these are imperfections of the TX-P65VT60E TV, or I did not find yet some settings in it. I would like to have a very fine step zoom with the fixed aspect ratio + shifting in x and y directions.

But the fact remains that with Ultimo - no overscan garbage at all, I can keep 16:9 with overscan off and with horizontal zoom off.
So I need some zooming of the size on the Duo 2 itself then.

I tried swapping hdmi inputs on the TV and hdmi cables, and also the same garbage is on a different TV too.
I did not try the other tuner on Duo 2 yet, and I am using different dish (so, different lnb) even though the satellite and the channels are the same.
Perhaps I shoud try swapping tuners and swapping dishes too.

Any help appreciated...

el bandido
04-02-14, 14:50
Have you tried making any changes or adjustments?
Using the remote, Press Menu--->Setup--->System--->User Interface--->Position Setup. Try making some small changes in Position Setup and see what effect each setting has.

Rob van der Does
04-02-14, 15:06
No issues with the DUO2 (or any other box) here (TV's have overscan switched off).

parkher
04-02-14, 16:59
Have you tried making any changes or adjustments?
Using the remote, Press Menu--->Setup--->System--->User Interface--->Position Setup. Try making some small changes in Position Setup and see what effect each setting has.

Thanks!

It worked. I just copied the numbers from Ultimo. And now everything is perfect with 16:9, overscan off, horizontal zoom off.

I thought that UI position (in ViX 2.4 called OSD position) moved just the on-screen menus, not the picture itself. But no, it moves the picture, it seems.

Rob van der Does
04-02-14, 17:12
Nope: it only moves the OSD, not the TV-picture.

parkher
04-02-14, 17:26
Nope: it only moves the OSD, not the TV-picture.

So probably the garbage outside the picture was caused by protruding OSD. It was all white, and some looked like text (especially vertical, though).
I think that explains it.
Thanks again!

Larry-G
04-02-14, 17:43
So probably the garbage outside the picture was caused by protruding OSD. It was all white, and some looked like text (especially vertical, though).
I think that explains it.
Thanks again!

It's nothing to do with the receiver but the sloppy way the service provider transmits their content. you have two options, enable overscan on the TV and loose upto 4 inches of viewing area all around the screen or disable overscan and live with it, personally i'd rather disable overscan.

parkher
05-02-14, 16:20
It's nothing to do with the receiver but the sloppy way the service provider transmits their content. you have two options, enable overscan on the TV and loose upto 4 inches of viewing area all around the screen or disable overscan and live with it, personally i'd rather disable overscan.

No, it was my fault. I probably was playing with the OSD position some time ago and forgot. The OSD was sized/moved in such a way that it was protruding outside the regular picture boundaries.
After restoring the original values (as on my other receiver) - everything is ok now.

As I originally explained, the same channel on the other receiver (Vu+ Ultimo) was ok. And also, the garbage was so wide that "overscan on" on TV was not enough to fix it.
As to "live with it" - I was reluctant to keep that fixed pattern at the edges of the screen of a brand new plasma tv in fear of causing image retention.

Anyway, everything is fine now. Overscan is off.

104bill
09-03-14, 10:50
I have a solo2, It to has garbage around the edge on HD, About 10mm all around. Resized the picture to fit but lose the first leter off the Freesat OSD

Maxwell
09-03-14, 11:00
I have a solo2, It to has garbage around the edge on HD, About 10mm all around. Resized the picture to fit but lose the first leter off the Freesat OSD

Turn off overscan on the TV

Rob van der Does
09-03-14, 11:14
Please explain better: I have no idea what you mean exactly.

And indeed: always the very best to turn off overscan. Should be disabled for any HD-TV anyway.

Trial
09-03-14, 13:10
Hi,
the garbage comes when the UI position is smaller then the displayable area as the frame buffer might not be cleared outside this area. Best option turn off overscan and UI position to max. Second best option make UI position a little bit bigger then displayable area.

ciao