PDA

View Full Version : Duo2 upgrade

tomos
02-02-14, 12:14
There are times I could do with recording 2 channels and watching a third, I currently have a sky dish with a twin lnb and 2 cables running into the duo2,

Can someone please say if my assumptions below are correct:-
Upgrade to a quad LNB (could anyone recommend a good choice)
Buy an extra tuner card (again could anyone recommend a good choice)
Extra cabling

Do I need anything else and how easy would it to do the work myself.

P.s. I buy everything I need from WoS.

Thanks

Tom.

Larry-G
02-02-14, 13:20
yes your correct but we would need to know what dish your using to recommend a suitable lnb and tuner card you buy would have to be a twin tuner as the Duo2 only has two tuner slots, but you could sell the spare single tuner card either on the forum on ebay to recoup a little of the cost.

work wise it's easy enough and should take maybe half a hour for the lot, including laying new cable, but you may have to drill a new hole or widen the existing one for the new cabling.

tomos
02-02-14, 13:33
Hi Pheonix, thanks for the quick reply, when you say "what dish your using" do you mean make and model and just for clarification would my Duo2 already have a twin tuner installed in one of the slots and I need a second twin tuner or I have a single tuner that currently takes 2 connection and I need to replace that with a twin tuner that has 4 connections running into it?

Larry-G
02-02-14, 13:36
yes if you know the make and model of dish that would help, as for the tuner, if you already have a twin tuner card a single tuner will suffice but i would personally still go with a second dual tuner just in case you decide to hook all four up for more recording options.

tomos
02-02-14, 13:43
Hi Pheonix,

Quick question does a single tuner accept 2 cables and a twin tuner accept 4 connection, I currently run 2 cables into 1 card I think

Larry-G
02-02-14, 13:48
a single tuner has a input and a output only, the dual tuners have two inputs and i think two outputs ( although i could be wrong on that as i have not used one ).

tomos
02-02-14, 13:48
Hi Pheonix, the dish has no branding on it, all i can tell you its a sky dish and black in colour, but looking at the LNB it's one unit with 2 cables running out of it but there appears to be an extra 2 connections spare

Larry-G
02-02-14, 13:52
ok you will need to find out what type of sky dish, ( zone 1 or zone 2 and what mark it is ), for my two sky dishes i have installed a octo lnb onto each ( 8 feeds from the lnb ), these are officially branded sky lnb's that come with two or more collar's so that they will work with all sky uk mini dishes.

Larry-G
02-02-14, 13:54
Hi Pheonix, the dish has no branding on it, all i can tell you its a sky dish and black in colour, but looking at the LNB it's one unit with 2 cables running out of it but there appears to be an extra 2 connections spare

if you have 4 connectors on the tuner card then you have a twin tuner, ( two input, two output for lnb loopthrough or loopout ). This allows you to loop the signal out from the card to another without needing another feed from the lnb but it is not a full substitute for each tuner having a proper feed each from the lnb.

tomos
02-02-14, 14:13
What is the best way of finding ( zone 1 or zone 2 and what mark it is )?

Thanks
Tom.

Larry-G
02-02-14, 19:03
What is the best way of finding ( zone 1 or zone 2 and what mark it is )?

Thanks
Tom.

Not sure to be honest, its been a long time since I did mine. Although with official sky lnb's you should get multiple colar fittings in with the kit.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

tomos
02-02-14, 21:37
Hi Pheonix, I think I have a mark 4 looking at other images on the web, could I keep me current card and add a new twin card

Larry-G
02-02-14, 21:40
yes the duo2 can house two twin tuner cards.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Plug-and-Play-Digital-Tuners/VU-Plus-Uno-Ultimo-Duo2-Duo-2-Plug-and-Play-DVB-S-S2-Dual-Twin-Tuner-Module