PDA

View Full Version : USB wifi netgear A6200 help

fullmonty
28-01-14, 21:33
Hi I was thinking about getting a usb wifi netgear A6200 802.11ac, would this work on my vu+solo2 using the latest black hole 2.0.8 image,
Any help would be great or a similar as I'm getting bt superfast broadband x2 on Thursday :)
Many thanks

AJT
28-01-14, 23:11
Hi I was thinking about getting a usb wifi netgear A6200 802.11ac, would this work on my vu+solo2 using the latest black hole 2.0.8 image,
Any help would be great or a similar as I'm getting bt superfast broadband x2 on Thursday :)
Many thanks

I would stick to a cheap regular usb wifi adapter for now if i were you.
But if you insist you need to ask Blackhole if they have the drivers available to install on box.

fullmonty
28-01-14, 23:22
I would stick to a cheap regular usb wifi adapter for now if i were you.
But if you insist you need to ask Blackhole if they have the drivers available to install on box.

Thanks for the reply do you know if the vix team as a list of drivers?

AJT
29-01-14, 10:11
Thanks for the reply do you know if the vix team as a list of drivers?

No i dont know but you could first try looking in the image you have installed.Go to plugin menu then drivers and see if the driver is available in the feeds.

marty
29-01-14, 10:36
VIX has many drivers for their image in the plugins (as AJT said)
As for black hole I haven't a clue (I don't use it, VIX is for more superior :cool: )
NETGEAR stuff is quite good but nothing beats a good old fashioned cable :)
Is your router compatible with the fancy wifi? if not will be a waste of dosh :(

TBH you don't need anything fast for connecting your STB to the "net", you only really need the speed for transferring large files through a network.
Do you have a NAS?

marty
29-01-14, 10:40
WOW :eek:
Just looked up the price of that wifi dongle.
Ain't cheap is it :(
You can get an 11n dongle for less than a tenner on ebay :D

Don't get suckered in by the specs either, that's a theoretical speed.
You would have to be right next to the router to get the quoted speeds.
I used to have an 11n networks at home (300mbps) in reality got "about" 120-180ish depending on the PC's location.

I fitted a gigabit system last year, best thing I ever did.

fullmonty
29-01-14, 13:31
Thanks for all your help, btw the I can get A6200 for £30 which it better if it would worked with the my solo2
thanks guys again

Rahisha
29-01-14, 16:00
Thanks for all your help, btw the I can get A6200 for £30 which it better if it would worked with the my solo2
thanks guys again
Please report back if you get this working as I too would like to use the A6200 for my box!

fullmonty
29-01-14, 16:12
Please report back if you get this working as I too would like to use the A6200 for my box!

Not much luck im been looking on other forums I only came across this
Can be a problem because there are two hardware revisions of this dongle.
v1 is not supported by linux because there is no driver
v2 can be supported because it has the Realtek 8812au and the driver is already avaiable (separated installation required)

I chatted to netgear live and they told me that V2 will have A6200 (And to letters on the box)A6200**