PDA

View Full Version : epg useage - crossepg or ryvix??

bobonthejob
04-11-10, 14:03
Hey all, I am getting my knickers in a twist here..

What should or what do you guys use?

I used to use ryvix and then select all the rytec sources....

but now with cross epg here i dont know what i should use for what provider.

Any pointers...or suggestions as to the best user?

Thanks guys.

silverfox0786
04-11-10, 14:12
for me i use ryvix as its easy for me i found crossepg to complicated in its updating for my taste but its all down to preference i guess have a look at em both and see which you like

bobonthejob
04-11-10, 14:16
I see what you say about complicated..... So far i have enable opentv for 28.2......

Whats the diff between opentv and xmltv?

underzone
04-11-10, 15:21
I see what you say about complicated..... So far i have enable opentv for 28.2......

I have selected both of these sources for 28.2... seems to work great

guff daddy
04-11-10, 16:42
OpenTV takes the EPG feed from the satellite (on 28.2E I think it is still broadcast on the radio HipHop channel)
xmltv downloads an xml file from the Rytec site which then populates the EPG.

pooface
04-11-10, 16:43

opentv is the system used to deliver the epg via the satellite. Crossepg uses the satellite to download the epg data. So, any epg you have should be the same as what is used on proprietory sky boxes (13 or 28).

xmltv is a method which uses xml files to gather the data, and convert it to be read by the box. These sources are usually downloaded from the internet. e.g. the rytec info for 28e is taken from the radiotimes website...

I have selected both of these sources for 28.2... seems to work great

You do realise that you're duplicating what's been received by whicever runs first? So, if opentv runs first, then your box will display the info from xmltv, and vice versa...

dfdream
04-11-10, 17:21
Pooface its nice to see an explaination on the epgs available.
A few questions.. No matter what one you download are they all merged or over writen to one epg.dat for EPG to show.

And will minor discrepencies in program names lead to problems with autotimer searches.

Im using ryvix to download satmateUK (I hope I said that rright) was using rytec source for UK but it keeps adding in (T) in the description which was driving me banannas as it differed fron the next / now description too often.

One thing I noticed over the last few weeks though that the ryvix timed download didnt always work requiring a manual download.

D

bobonthejob
04-11-10, 18:31
I have just enabled opentv 28.2 sources...when i ask it to download it goes through the channels...

However when it is Parsing titles it takes forever? Is this meant to be a slow process?

I wouldnt have thought so....

I started of by deleting the crossepg folders from my USB (location selected for storeage)

I have however slected opentv for Sky Uk 28.2 and Italia.

Is there something i can do to quicken it up....

Am i also right in saying that i could use openTV for Sky Uk and Sky Italia and then for anything else use ryvix and the rytec sources..?

Or just use the rytec sources from within crossepg?

Thanks in advance to all.... :D

irishchris
04-11-10, 18:45
crossepg only takes bout 3/4 mins. i use cross epg for my uk/italia channels. tune to sky germany any channel and it autofills the epg for 7 days. then rytec for the rest from ryvix :)

Stanman
04-11-10, 19:14
I have crossepg set up to manually download at 4.00AM in 1.1 it was hit and miss but in 1.2 it seems to be updating all the time - at least according to the info page lol
When its worked CE with opentv is fine

pooface
04-11-10, 21:03
A few questions.. No matter what one you download are they all merged or over writen to one epg.dat for EPG to show.

iirc (could be wrong, as I'm not 100% sure for the new version of crossepg), crossepg just used to overwrite your epg file. So, I set epg to download from crossepg first. Then, ryvix appends any epg data to the epg cache. But, this might be different for the new crossepg...

As for autotimer, I've found Rytec sources (at least for Sky UK, can't comment on all of the others), doesn't work correctly because there are always little differences between program info...

@bob

It shouldn't take too long to download the epg data from crossepg. My download of just 28.2 only takes about 1.5 mins or so... When you're downloading an epg with crossepg, telnet in to the box, and when it's running slow, type "top". This will give you a list of processes with the cpu usage. Take a note of what process is at the top, and how much usage it is using...

Ojustaboo
05-11-10, 10:58
Interesting.

So for SkyUK, would I get better (latest up to date) programing info using opentv? Not quite sure I understand the advantage of using Rytec (which I currently use) if this is the case, or am I missing something?

My EPG seems to be updating fine except for Comedy Central and Comedy central+1. If I go into coolepg, all my other channels are fine, but no data for these two. Anyone else experiencing this please?

Thanks

bobonthejob
05-11-10, 11:13
K...so i have now got my swap sorted....just uploading picons to the usb stick.

I have selected SKy Italia and Both Sky Uk.... have downloaded the data to the usb stick. So in theory i just need to reboot and it should show up?

Can i now select the rest of the sources from ryvix...( does it do the same as the sources from 'XMLTV providers' in CrossEPG)

Also in the CrossEPG menu...if i got to 'Configure' should i leave all default in there apart from the daily download timings. Should enable 'Force epg reload on boot'?

Thanks Guys.

bobonthejob
05-11-10, 11:17
Ive just rebooted the box after a download and nothing showing up on the details for the channels. Doh!

oblivian
05-11-10, 11:55
for me works on all providers except sky uk (using XMLTV)
@andyblac it will be great if you add this XEPGDB providers to CrossEPG menu (will be added in next CrossEPG inside plugin)
installed this file manualy and it should be in CrossEPFG menu but it isn't.
XEPGDB load 10 times faster then XMLTV

http://www.krkadoni.com/down/down.php?id=78

bobonthejob
05-11-10, 12:09
K...update....

i have openTV Sky UK 28.2 selected and downloaded fine....

Now i have selected previously both openTV Italia and rytec...none of which work (Within crossEPG)...

I then tried RyVIX and this says there is nothing to find.... Is there a latest xml file for this?

dfdream
05-11-10, 12:38
bob when you downloaded with opentv how many days did you get ? I only got 5 days.
I re-enabled rvyvix with satmate uk source and did manual download and it went back to 7 days.

The biggest gripe I have with epg is the number or programs with no description. If I want to record a repeat of a program (and they are on earlier in the day) there is no description to see if its the repeat of the current program or a repeat of an older one. Annoying. Opentv did seem to have more description but it had only 5 days and also this downloading/parsing etc takes ages.

D

bobonthejob
05-11-10, 13:13
Yeah not sure to be honest... but i am putting the slow parsing i had earlier down to the wrong formatting on the USB stick. (Was fat32)

Now it is linux filesystem on it...that may have improved it and now i dont get long parsing times.

But ...still i am unable to get the rest of the epg for say Italia or any others.

Ryvix says there is nothing to download. And in CrossEPG it says it is downloaded but still does not show the data.

Anyone having similar issues? Or am i not setting it up correctly?

canthackit
05-11-10, 17:30
no mate it's not just you.

i've had and still have all the problems you list, even as we talk i've just tried different sats, i just cannot get them to populate permantly.

i've tried everything i can think of and nothing rectifies the problem :mad:

anybody who's got a solution will be loved forever :D

regards: cantahckit

bobonthejob
05-11-10, 17:40
Thanks cantahckit ...

Yeah just this and we are rolling....

Ive tried ryvix and no data to download. Ive tried rytec xmltv selections for other sats (not UK) and after a download nothing shows up...

Certainly is a strange one.

canthackit
05-11-10, 18:43
no wonder i cant suss out any corrections mate, i cant even spell me own monicker :D

it should be canthackit and now you know why :D

regards: canthackit :rolleyes:

bobonthejob
08-11-10, 10:12
Right....

So UK and Italia opentv seems to be working... (He says)...

I have Uk and Italia selected on opentv and then all other rytec sources for the rest of the channels.

I have it set to update at 4:00 am every day...

However....one evening i put the box in to standby and it started doing a download? and even now...just watching Sky UK....and a download of the epg started by itself? Anyone had this?

I still dont think ive got the rytec sources to work as they should....

DISCODV
08-11-10, 20:05
Can someone please advise what the advantages are of using Rytec over OpenTv?

bobonthejob
22-11-10, 12:06
Hey Guys,

I have an update.....

So i selected.... from...CrossEPG

OpenTV 28.2 Sky Uk & Sky Italia.
Rytec Sources, selected a whole bunch from there.

What i found was that the box would download the OpenTV data and then start to get the rytec data....however during the download of the Rytec data the process crashes and hence none of the downloaded data is saved.

This was spotted after i saw that the epg data available was only showing up till the end of the then current day. So i tried manual download and it failed.

So then i removed all the rytec sources and done a manual download and i got my 5 days worth of epg back. No crashes.

I have gone to take a look again yesterday and found again that the epg data was not stored for the 5 days.

I have the update set to manual and to run daily at 5.00am. Either this daily run is not processing or there is something more that needs configuring.

Can someone advise on the setup they have (which works) and post up screen shots if possible.?

Thanks Guys.

bobonthejob
23-11-10, 10:10
bump.....anyone :D

please let us know your setups...or should i say the correct setups....obviously i am doing something wrong.

Sicilian
23-11-10, 11:01
All I use is RyVIX EPG. I normally disable crossepg totally in Crossepg > Configure. RyVIX suits my needs fine.

irishchris
23-11-10, 11:10
i use ryvix to do the rytec european sources and run crossepg separately for uk/italia opentv

bobonthejob
23-11-10, 11:39
I did try ryvix but when i tried a download ....nothing seemed to download.

Almost as if there is no content to download. irischris....when you say you configured crossepg to run separately....

Do you just enable both ryvix and crossepg and get them to download daily at a set time.?

May have to do some more testing.

irishchris
23-11-10, 11:42
i found ryvix automatic daily download did not always work for me and sometimes even running manually i had a problem with it and i would have to try 2 or 3 attempts and then it would manually do it no problem. cross epg for opentv sources i have setup to download at 7 each day and it does it no problem.

bobonthejob
23-11-10, 12:40
might have to try a combination of the 2 tonight.

Does the data that both download get combined at any point? Or do they create there own respective data files?

irishchris
23-11-10, 14:06
must look into that myself later and see if there is two epg.dat files? i know when if it reboots at any stage as far as i remember it creates a sole epg.dat file with all info.

Sicilian
23-11-10, 14:22
Bob what image are you using? 1.2 or latest beta build?

bobonthejob
23-11-10, 15:49
he sic...at the moment....

1.2 Ive been away last week so wasnt sure if there was a beta.

andyblac
23-11-10, 19:45
i would recommend using a swap file if you are using more than 1 epg source, i just maxed out
a 64mb swapfile trying to enable all the the sources, it just restarted enigma2 with no green screen