PDA

View Full Version : Any VU+ box for newbie :) Birmingham

Dibs
22-01-14, 11:08
Hi All,
Thanks for reading this. I would like to purchase a VU+ box after my openbox decided to die (no HDMI output). I would be interested in anything that works - old/scratched is no problem etc... Never used one of these boxes before and would prefer to have the VIX image pre installed because of this forum.

Thanks,
Dibs

Dibs
26-01-14, 23:24
108 views. Looking for a genuine one and not a Chinese copy.
Thanks

Dibs
31-01-14, 15:47
Nearly 200 views :) Could anyone please reply with the current going rate for a used VU+ box with a hard drive?
Thanks,

fraggle121
31-01-14, 15:50
better buy a new one then u know what your getting..get it from world of sat

also because it will be new it will last that bit longer,,,and it will come with vix installed if u ask for it...

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=Duo2

they sell all different boxes and none are clones

Dibs
31-01-14, 16:35
Cheers for the reply Fraggle. What would you recommend. I was looking at the Duo for £209 - is that a good starter box or should I put in the extra and get the solo. Would one notice the benefits of the solo for the extra money?
I've been reading about the VIX image and getting the Bouquets installed etc... Seems a bit daunting compared to the OpenBox, but I'm willing to give it go :)

Larry-G
31-01-14, 16:45
The Duo is a very reliable receiver, it has excellent support although it is getting on a bit now. The solo2 is the next generation receiver and you really will notice the difference between the two, so if you have the cash for the solo2 go for it, you will not regret it.

marty
31-01-14, 16:53
Me mum still uses a DUO, very capable box :thumbsup:

sanderson82
01-02-14, 13:28
A 2nd Duo with a hard drive is likely to be £160 - £200. Even though price has dropped on new ones, 2nd hand still at the min hold their value, as they are a very reliable box. Most are going to be at least over a year old.

If your set on the Duo for the extra £50/£60 I'd go for a new one from the sponsor, full warranty etc etc you won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alba1978
01-02-14, 15:20
Xtrend ET9200 is a very good starter box too unless you are only intrested on a VU+

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Dibs
03-02-14, 16:10
Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated! I was wondering if any forum users live in Birmingham for some friendly tips and pointers.
Thanks,
Dibs

Dibs
07-02-14, 14:19
Finally took the plunge and ordered a Solo 2 the other day :D And I've been told by the wife that a parcel has arrived today :cool:

Will update with more infor/pics when I get home. It has come pre loaded with the VIX image as well. So I think it's just a case of uploading the picons, epgcam and Xepg list or something like that. I'm also very interested in this Metrix skin that looks pretty cool.

Thanks for all of the replies and pointers on which box to get.

TK4|2|1
07-02-14, 16:13
Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated! I was wondering if any forum users live in Birmingham for some friendly tips and pointers.
Thanks,
Dibs

I'm not too far from, Halesowen.

Dibs
08-02-14, 12:20
Morning, I live 10-15 mins from there. Spent until 4AM messing around with the settings and have everything working including Picons :D However I'm not too impressed with the channel list from the AutoBoutique creator? It's given me lists of the same favourites - each with only a few channels in. Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong please?

I followed the tutorials on this site, which were fantastic by the way!
Thank you

Dibs
09-02-14, 23:45
Have managed to figure out the channel list issues. It was my own error using separate boutiques for each scan. I've now hidden the ones that are not used, which has cleared it all up now.
The difference between the Solo 2 and the OpenBox is unbelievable! Vu+ are amazing! Plus I love the geeky side of having to 'FTP' into the box :p The EPG is totally mind blowing from having used the OpenBox for the last couple of years and the Vix software is incredible!
Have loaded a few plugins now also, such as TSMedia and OnDemand and I'm looking into changing the skin to MetrixHD, once I figure out how to do that as the one on there is MatrixHD.
Also got the hard drive working and have setup the EPG on a USB stick as the guide states.
Have been reading a lot of pages on this site now and I'm filing up with knowledge faster than ever before.
Thank you for such a great source of information and friendly community members.

TK4|2|1
10-02-14, 08:25
Metrix, Matrix it's the same skin, spelling mistake that hasn't been corrected.

Sent by pressing buttons.

Dibs
10-02-14, 15:54
Hi TK4|2|1,
That's great to know as I was actually searching for the Metrix HD skin for ages :\ I've read that the Picons need to be swapped to memory stick for it to work. Is that still true if I use the M'a'trixHD skin from the plugin manager? Or do I put them here: usr/share/enigma2/XPicons/picon/
Thanks in advance.
Dibs

Larry-G
10-02-14, 17:43
One very important step before you get too far is to create a full set of image / settings backups, because i can guarantee something will go wrong at some point and you will be thankful to have a backup instead of setting it all up again.

when your more familiar with the receiver / image you can forgo this step as it will take you only ten minutes to setup from scratch.

Dibs
10-02-14, 18:18
Hi Pheonix :) Thank you for that wonderful advice! I usually always make back ups of my uni work, but have yet to back anything up on VIX. When you say a full set of image back ups, do you mean going to -> VIX -> Backup Manager -> (change directory to usb) and then click the green circle for New Backup?
Thanks in advnce.

PS does this create a full back up or would one need to ftp into the box and create a backup manually?
Thanks

Larry-G
10-02-14, 18:22
Blue button - ViX - Backup manager = This makes a settings backup, containing plugins and settings, you can restore this overtop of a image.
Blue button - ViX - Image manager = This makes i image backup that you can flash to the receiver the same as any other image, this backups every thing.

Dibs
10-02-14, 18:59
Have just created a full back up using the image manager. Thanks Pheonix :thumbsup:

Dibs
11-02-14, 10:16
Hi Guys,
Hope you are all well and enjoying the lovely rain ;) I'm after another VU+ box for my dad - since he has seen mine he now wants one :p If anyone has a used one then please let me know. Doesn't have to be any kind of condition - just one that works.
Thanks,
Dibs

catseye
02-03-14, 20:00
Hi Guys,
Hope you are all well and enjoying the lovely rain ;) I'm after another VU+ box for my dad - since he has seen mine he now wants one :p If anyone has a used one then please let me know. Doesn't have to be any kind of condition - just one that works.
Thanks,
Dibs

I might be selling mine its a vu duo original in good condition with original box

Will keep you posted over next few weeks

Im not a million miles away from u in north worcs

Cheers

Dibs
03-03-14, 16:13
Okay, still looking on here most days.
Thanks,
Dibs

ismailbmw
03-03-14, 20:00
Hello Dibs, I am planning of seeling my VU Duo with a 500GB HDD, 100% geniune brought from Supersat on Soho Road B21. Im in B20 area. Looking at around £200 but open to offers. I bought it on the 24/11/12 Still have reciept and box. Currently running vix 808.

alba1978
03-03-14, 20:29
Hi there mate I have an Xtrend ET9200 and it is two years old with 320gb HDD for sale at £200 and will deliver it for you as not far from Dudley area where I live. it has got the latest VIX 3.808 on it and will install everything you need ready for you to put your card in.

Dibs
05-03-14, 11:49
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the offers, but I have just purchased another Solo 2 - same as my own one.

Mods please feel free to close this thread.
Thanks,
Dibs

abu baniaz
07-03-14, 16:38
Closed and moved at user's request