PDA

View Full Version : noisy box all of a sudden

dan44762000
20-01-14, 11:47
my brand new TM nano oe box has recently started making a loud noise when first turned on , but after a few hours it goes back too normal .

should i return it as faulty or is this a common problem with these box`s

abu baniaz
21-01-14, 04:44
Can you check if it is the fan? Only moving part apart from HDD.

dan44762000
22-01-14, 12:03
Can you check if it is the fan? Only moving part apart from HDD.

yes it is the fan , apparently technomate fitted them the wrong way around , the sponsors asked me too turn it around , which i have done but it still sounds really loud.
so they are sending a replacement and i will try that but from what others have said, the fan part is really cheap and buying a better quality one fixes the issue .

eamo
22-01-14, 13:40
I had the same problem and the sponsor sent me a replacement fan - great aftersales service I have to say. you can actually turn the fan off its only needed if you have a hard rive installed.

dfdream
22-01-14, 14:53
Does replacing the fan make it really quiet.
I have the fan in mine as I have a HDD in it.
Was contemplating taking out the hdd so I could disconnect the fan.

D

Alec
22-01-14, 16:45
yes it is the fan , apparently technomate fitted them the wrong way around , the sponsors asked me too turn it around , which i have done but it still sounds really loud.
so they are sending a replacement and i will try that but from what others have said, the fan part is really cheap and buying a better quality one fixes the issue .
With these type of fans, you might be able to peel back the center part and give a couple of drops of oil on the bearing.

marty
22-01-14, 16:56
WD40 works wounders :D Use it on PC fans often.

dan44762000
22-01-14, 20:07
I had the same problem and the sponsor sent me a replacement fan - great aftersales service I have to say. you can actually turn the fan off its only needed if you have a hard rive installed.

how sure are you about that advice ?
i don't have a hard drive fitted but i do a lot of streaming using Tsmedia and the like . if this new fan makes the same noise then i will be loooking at trying a better quality fan or sending box back . its awful noise. .

dan44762000
22-01-14, 20:09

D

i was messing with Fan control on the Vix image i have and turned fan down and then off for a few seconds - its silent with no fan running .. if i wasnt so worried about frying the box i would leave the fan off ...

Larry-G
22-01-14, 20:10
My Nano is setup in a bedroom and the fan makes almost no noise, even though i run the fan cranked upto three quarters for live use and half for standby.

DaMacFunkin
23-01-14, 13:47
I installed a quieter fan in mine but I eventually took it and the internal hard drive out and replaced with an external drive, the box randomly comes out of standby even though there are no timers or jobs set and it was constantly waking me during the night, the box still does loads of random sh*t but at least I no longer hear it.

dan44762000
23-01-14, 17:14
going to wait for the replacement fan and see how that goes , if there is not a significant decrease in the sound of the fan then i will send box back as its not fit for purpose in this condition. but i really like the box so hope new fan is a lot quieter.

eamo
24-01-14, 13:46
how sure are you about that advice ?
i don't have a hard drive fitted but i do a lot of streaming using Tsmedia and the like . if this new fan makes the same noise then i will be loooking at trying a better quality fan or sending box back . its awful noise. .
sponsor advised this. and while I was awaiting the replacement fan I had the old noisy fan turned off and can report no problems whatsoever

eamo
24-01-14, 13:48

D

yes it does - the replacement fan is now whisper quiet compared to previous fan. as I already mentioned the fan is only needed if you have an internal hard drive installed. you have an internal drive so its not recommended to turn off the fan

dan44762000
29-01-14, 13:49
can confirm the replacement fan is silent , i had to go right up too box to make sure it was actually working .
thanks sponsors - excellent customer service .