PDA

View Full Version : NFS Server on VIX - Is it possible?

optip
03-11-10, 19:30
Hi,

I am hoping to set up a system where my main satellite receiver (VIX 1.2 VU+ Duo) shares its recordings by NFS (or whatever type of network sharing) and is mounted on my old DM800 (NabiloSat 0.12) for playback in another room.

I am not finding any obvious way to set up NFS sharing on the VIX. I am looking into trying to manually install an NFS server by IPK installer, etc - but I wonder if anybody has done this.. or has a better suggestion for how to do this?

I would prefer to run an NFS server on the VU rather than a separate NFS server because I like having the hard drive in the VU for recordings and don't want to get into recording over the network (been there before).

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them!

Thanks in advance :)

optip
04-11-10, 00:57
incase anybody's interested...

I got this configuration working :)

I did a manual install of enigma2-plugin-vuplus-nfs.duo.server_1.3-r0_mipsel.ipk on my Vu+ Duo with VIX 1.2 and this enabled an NFS server. This seemed to fail its install the first time i tried - but seemed to work without errors a second time. I updated /etc/exports with what i wanted exported and was able to mount it on my DM800 box (Nabilosat 0.12) with a symlink from /hdd/movie to the NFS mount point. (i don't know if installing the nfs tools should have installed any GUIs or not - but I don't have any GUIs... luckily, I am familiar enough with linux to make it work from command line)

The recorded videos from the VU now show on my DM800 so i can watch the VU+ recordings from either box... very sweet! :) It also works fine when watching something that is still recording - something I didn't think would work... nice!

tomthebomb1968
04-11-10, 03:02
Ive not been able to get this working since I changed from the old Dream-elite image. I think I will have another go now that someone else is up n running

silverfox0786
04-11-10, 04:11
can you please post a step by step guide into how you did this including the command lines you used

optip
04-11-10, 22:24
Here ye go...

NOTE.... please back up your VU before following this guide!! If it goes wrong and your box gets broken - I don't want to be responsible for anybody loosing all their settings!!... please make sure you have a backup so I don't have to feel bad if it goes wrong!! :P

==== 1: SET UP NFS SERVER ON VU+ DUO & VIX 1.2 ====

* Download the file enigma2-plugin-vuplus-nfs.duo.server_1.3-r0_mipsel.ipk from the internet... google makes this easy to find :) I am not sure if there are newer versions than this - but this one worked fine for me!
* FTP enigma2-plugin-vuplus-nfs.duo.server_1.3-r0_mipsel.ipk to /media/hdd or some other location available to the VIX software management tool
* On the VIX, press Menu and go to Setup -> Software Management -> Install Local Extension
* Choose the location of the IPK file you uploaded (1 Harddisk for me). This will scan for installable packages in the location chosen.
* Choose Install Extensions (only option available for me)
* Make sure there is an X beside the enigma2-plugin-vuplus-nfs.duo.server_1.3-r0_mipsel.ipk file and not any other extensions that happen to be there
* Press the Green button to start the install

When I did the install the first time, the installer seemed to get stuck in a loop after a couple of minutes. I left this running for 5 minutes (getting nowhere) and then rebooted the box. I then repeated the process above again and the installer worked perfectly. I don't know if this will be the same for others... i've only done this once.

* The NFS server share configuration is located at /etc/exports. This is a simple file... edit it using VI from a telnet/ssh session or use FTP. The contents of my file is as follows:

/media/hdd/ 10.x.x.x/24(rw,no_root_squash,sync)

/media/hdd/ = location shared out
10.x.x.x/24 = network subnet to make share available to. This is using network authentication rather than user authentication - i.e. as long as it comes from that network, it is trusted. You will need to change this based on the LAN subnet address you have set up... 192.168.0.0/24 (/24 is another way of saying 255.255.255.0 in networking) would be a common alternative for home networks.
(rw,no_root_squash,sync) - note no space between network address and bracket... rw means read/write enabled.. im not sure exacly what the other options mean but these work for me.

Once the exports file is set up, I rebooted my box to ensure it took full effect. It is probably possible to restart NFS (service is called called portmap) with a command but I don't know the command so i just rebooted rather than figure it out!

* Once the box is rebooted, NFS should be running and sharing out /media/hdd over NFS

==== 2: SET UP SECOND RECEIVER ====
My second receiver in this case was a DM800 Clone running NabiloSat Blackhole 0.12.

* On the Blue Panel, go to Network Mount Wizard
* Press the coloured button to create an NFS mount (can't remember which colour)
* Enter the IP of the NFS Server/VU Box. For the share path, enter /media/hdd/ (or whatever path you shared in the /etc/exports file above)
* I mounted the nfs share to /media/net
* When you finish the wizard, the box will try to mount the share.. watch out for any errors mounting the share here... if there is a problem, there should be a clue in the error message... or hopefully you'll get a message saying the mount was successful :)

At this point, you have a working nfs share between the two boxes. Probably the sensible thing to do from here would be to change the Movie location in the second box to point to the movie folder on the nfs share - i.e. /media/net/movie

I created a symlink (linux shortcut of sorts) inside the /media/hdd/ directory using the following command from a telnet/ssh session:
ln -s /media/net/movie/ /media/hdd/movie

as a test, you should be able to use FTP or a telnet/ssh session to list the contents of /media/net/movie, etc and see the same listing of video files as on the VU box.

And that's it! I pressed the video button and was able to view a listing of my recordings from the VU and play them back. The VU also shows which ones have been watched on the DM800 as if they were watched locally. It might matter that both boxes be Enigma2 for full compatibility of the meta-data around the recordings but it might work fine too. If this was tried from a DM500, it may or may not work.

Hopefully this will be useful for somebody! :)