PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Vix sign keeps spinning in the corner, becomes slow and unresponsive

avi68
16-01-14, 19:39
Hi guys,

I have a vu plus duo and I haven't restarted the duo for about a week however I have noticed that the spinning vix sign keeps appearing after a while in the corner. I have noticed that if I don't restart the box regularly this becomes a regular issue. I have a swap file activated and set to the max. When I check the information and memory, I see that 187 is used from the 262. It then slowly goes back up but it still remains laggy.

Is there anything I can do to stop this becoming a regular issue?

P.s I only use one provider on crops epg which is stored onto the hdd and ts is also get to the hdd.

Thanks!

Tkr001
16-01-14, 21:11
Try using the cacheflush plugin

avi68
16-01-14, 21:16
Try using the cacheflush plugin

Ok, what does that do?

Also what are the settings I should put it?

Thanks for your help

BubbleBalls
16-01-14, 22:10
Ok, what does that do?

Also what are the settings I should put it?

Thanks for your help

It does sound like memory leak. My Duo suffers from it but your sounds a little worse. But maybe check something first? Where are storing epg? It should be the hard drive or USB and not flash. If not flash use the following but start the timer at 30 mins and see how it goes - reduce if needed.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/12/dajyja4a.jpg

Edit - just re-read and see the epg on the HDD, sorry.

Tapatālker

avi68
16-01-14, 22:39
It does sound like memory leak. My Duo suffers from it but your sounds a little worse. But maybe check something first? Where are storing epg? It should be the hard drive or USB and not flash. If not flash use the following but start the timer at 30 mins and see how it goes - reduce if needed.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/12/dajyja4a.jpg

Edit - just re-read and see the epg on the HDD, sorry.

Tapatālker

Oh ok. Thanks for the explanation! I have set it to the following : 3197231973. I have also attached my memory information, it looks better now because of the reboot I did.

Please could you let me know if my settings are correct, or if I need to change something.

Thanks!

BubbleBalls
16-01-14, 22:42
Looks ok. Now to see if it make a difference! I set display to show in extensions for quick access via blue button.

Tapatālker

avi68
16-01-14, 22:50
Looks ok. Now to see if it make a difference! I set display to show in extensions for quick access via blue button.

Tapatālker

Oh ok. Thanks for that mate! Really appreciate it!

avi68
21-01-14, 22:49
Ok guys just an update: it started acting really slow again. It took forever to change channels and took a long time to load the epg. It was acting really sluggish. Over 100mb of swap was used.

I then changed the settings in the cache plugin: auto timeout to 15mins and set the un cached memory size to the max. It still made no difference. So I had to reboot the box, using the reboot option.

Any ideas guys what's happening?

BubbleBalls
22-01-14, 08:58
Sorry mate, not sure what you can do. My Duo works a charm with Swap and Cacheflush. Just out of curiosity - when it slows you can open cacheflush and press the blue button to manually clear it. Even set the flush to 5 mins. If that does not work I would reflash it from scratch - no backups. There are threads on how to keep timers and auto-timers etc. The guys here are releasing Vix 4. so a reflash will be needed soon anyway? If that does not work I know not what to do!

Tapatālker

avi68
22-01-14, 11:34
Sorry mate, not sure what you can do. My Duo works a charm with Swap and Cacheflush. Just out of curiosity - when it slows you can open cacheflush and press the blue button to manually clear it. Even set the flush to 5 mins. If that does not work I would reflash it from scratch - no backups. There are threads on how to keep timers and auto-timers etc. The guys here are releasing Vix 4. so a reflash will be needed soon anyway? If that does not work I know not what to do!

Tapatālker

I did that mate. I opened cacheflush and flushed manually but it didn't really help. I've now set the flush to 15mins, should I make it lower? Also I set the memory size to the max, I don't know if that will help.

Hmm I did a reflash and entered my settings manually before, I shouldn't have to keep doing it, should I?

I think I'll have to wait for the new vix. I don't know why it freezes after a while, it's getting annoying.

But thanks for your help mate, much appreciated!

BubbleBalls
22-01-14, 13:46
You shouldn't have to reflash regularly, or reboot regularly, for that matter. Duo is known for memory leak though. Do you have anything stored in flash? Picons? Do you have many plug ins?

I use a USB tuner on my Duo for Saorview and found that after a couple of days I would lose the signal and have to reboot. I got around it by adding a reboot timer (to standby) at 6am each day. It's not ideal but ensures its trouble free for the whole day. I know it's not finding your problem but it might help you as a workaround.

Tapatālker

satmanbasil
22-01-14, 14:06
Hi mate

Why not save your settings and reflash the stb it could be a plugin that causing the problem also check your EPG to see if its checking for updates. Start from scratch and slowly introduce plugins one at a time and monitor the box over a few days for performance

Osamo1956
22-01-14, 14:20
Hi Avi68,
I had a similar problem with my Duo.
Take a look a this post by Pheonix. His suggested removal of corrupt large files ...and it did the trick for me:
Here:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?34695-frozen-vu-duo&p=261797&viewfull=1#post261797
Hope it sorts your problem.

avi68
22-01-14, 19:32
You shouldn't have to reflash regularly, or reboot regularly, for that matter. Duo is known for memory leak though. Do you have anything stored in flash? Picons? Do you have many plug ins?

I use a USB tuner on my Duo for Saorview and found that after a couple of days I would lose the signal and have to reboot. I got around it by adding a reboot timer (to standby) at 6am each day. It's not ideal but ensures its trouble free for the whole day. I know it's not finding your problem but it might help you as a workaround.

Tapatālker

Nothing is stored on the flash that I know of. Everything is saved on the hdd. I don't have any picons. The only extra plugin I have is the on demand one, so I have 5 in total. I have auto bouquets maker running at 3 and epg running at 4 in the morning.

Hmm that sounds like a good work around, how do you set that?

avi68
22-01-14, 19:40
Hi mate

Why not save your settings and reflash the stb it could be a plugin that causing the problem also check your EPG to see if its checking for updates. Start from scratch and slowly introduce plugins one at a time and monitor the box over a few days for performance

Hi mate,

Ive done that before when I was having problems, when I first purchased the box. I reflashed without a setting restore and also with but then after a while I need to reboot in order to get it to respond quicker.

I just checked the epg, it said that it updated in the morning, so that's working.

Its after like a week it starts to get real slow, it doesn't even respond at times due to the spinning vix sign. But I've noticed that at least 100mb of swap gets used. Then I have to reboot in order to get it back.

avi68
22-01-14, 19:42
Hi Avi68,
I had a similar problem with my Duo.
Take a look a this post by Pheonix. His suggested removal of corrupt large files ...and it did the trick for me:
Here:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?34695-frozen-vu-duo&p=261797&viewfull=1#post261797
Hope it sorts your problem.
Hi mate,

After doing that do I need to do an online update, or an update of any sort? I'll check it out anyway. Thanks for that!

Larry-G
22-01-14, 19:42
sounds very much like the memory leak problem that some Duo's suffer, not much you can do for this but to try the cacheflush plugin.

BubbleBalls
22-01-14, 20:14
You can go
Menu/timers/power timers/green button to add
timer type = reboot system
Repeat type = daily but you could use custom for every 2nd day or so
Date = today's date
Start time = what suits you to avoid EPG and ABM
end time = no
After event = go to stand by

It does not solve your problem so I would try Phoenix' other post on removing large corrupt files.

Tapatālker

avi68
22-01-14, 21:10
sounds very much like the memory leak problem that some Duo's suffer, not much you can do for this but to try the cacheflush plugin.

I've done that already mate, no luck unfortunately. I was looking at osamo1956's post and he says that you posted a solution. If I do find the corrupt file, after deleting and rebooting, how would you update the system?

Thanks

avi68
22-01-14, 21:12
You can go
Menu/timers/power timers/green button to add
timer type = reboot system
Repeat type = daily but you could use custom for every 2nd day or so
Date = today's date
Start time = what suits you to avoid EPG and ABM
end time = no
After event = go to stand by

It does not solve your problem so I would try Phoenix' other post on removing large corrupt files.

Tapatālker
Ok thanks for that mate. I want to try and delete the corrupt files like Phoenix said, but I just want him to confirm that update part. Thanks for your help dude:)

avi68
22-01-14, 21:24
guys please check these

here is the files, I dont know if they are corrupt:32137

and logs : 32138

Thanks

Larry-G
22-01-14, 21:25
Ok thanks for that mate. I want to try and delete the corrupt files like Phoenix said, but I just want him to confirm that update part. Thanks for your help dude:)

Just delete the files and reboot the box, when its back online run a image update and it will generate the new files. Sorry I cant be more specific but im not near a pc rite now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

avi68
22-01-14, 21:46
Just delete the files and reboot the box, when its back online run a image update and it will generate the new files. Sorry I cant be more specific but im not near a pc rite now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

ok I did what you said. When I did an update, it just said theres no new update.

I deleted 2 files 4mb and 1 mb files which looked large however they have come back. Is this normal?

Also please note I did not delete all the files, just the two large ones.

Larry-G
22-01-14, 21:48
yes thats normal, by large files i mean any thing over 10 meg and sometimes they can hit 1.3 gig when corrupted.

avi68
22-01-14, 22:09
yes thats normal, by large files i mean any thing over 10 meg and sometimes they can hit 1.3 gig when corrupted.

Oh ok. So my files weren't corrupt then?

So there's nothing I can do now, but wait and see if it helps.

Thanks for your help guys!

avi68
13-02-14, 17:47
Hi guys,

I'm still having problems with the box getting slow after about 3 days. I've set up a power timer as BubbleBalls suggested however say if I have a recording set will it stop the recording? Because I tried to set something to record at the same time as the reboot but no message appears?

Thanks