PDA

View Full Version : Multiroom Satellite/Media Streaming Set Up Queries

Lurch
16-01-14, 01:09
So to start with I have been researching and am pretty sure I know what I want to do, I would just like to know if it sounds feasible. I have been quite happy with my current setup which is a Humax Foxsat-HDR with Raydons firmware which works well but is tied to a single TV and doesn't do the media streaming. I have played with MythTV and NextPVR with XBMC clients and found the experience far from great so I thought I would revisit what I had been looking at a while ago, which was a Gigablue Quad with 2 DVB-S2 and 1 DVB-T receivers. I'm pretty sure I'm happy with this idea, I can get Freesat which covers all my HD channels and the DVB-T card gives me the channels that are missing from the Freesat lineup. Am I right in thinking that I can add a bouquet which will contain a mix of DVB-S and DVB-T channels so I can just browse the channel lists/EPG's as I do on any other single tuner box?

Beyond that I want to be able to access this box from around the house. This is where my current setup falls down. I am reasonably happy with using XBMC and the PVR plugin from a PC but I'm not overly happy with using it on a second TV with a spare Raspberry Pi. I need to use some better hardware as the UI isn't great speed wise so I have been looking at using a second box (Nano/Octagon or similar) with RemoteStreamConvert. What exactly does this give me on the second box? Can I seamlessly operate the Quad from this box, i.e. can I access all the bouquets and recordings, and schedule new recordings etc... or is it a cutdown service?

I also have a large collection of media on a NAS (0.5-1.0TB). Would this be better on an internal drive on the Quad or can I get both boxes to happily stream music and movies from the NAS? This isn't really a problem either way, just so I can get my head around what parts are required and what size drives I'd need in the Quad.

Hopefully I've understood things that I've read and the replies to this will just be 'that sounds great, do it"!

Thankyou.

judge
16-01-14, 01:25
...so I thought I would revisit what I had been looking at a while ago, which was a Gigablue Quad with 2 DVB-S2 and 1 DVB-T receivers. I'm pretty sure I'm happy with this idea, I can get Freesat which covers all my HD channels and the DVB-T card gives me the channels that are missing from the Freesat lineup. Am I right in thinking that I can add a bouquet which will contain a mix of DVB-S and DVB-T channels so I can just browse the channel lists/EPG's as I do on any other single tuner box?

The GBQuad is still a great box IMO.
Yes, it will do all of the above. Will you have 2 sat feeds & 1 cable or aerial feed going to it?

Beyond that I want to be able to access this box from around the house. This is where my current setup falls down. I am reasonably happy with using XBMC and the PVR plugin from a PC but I'm not overly happy with using it on a second TV with a spare Raspberry Pi. I need to use some better hardware as the UI isn't great speed wise so I have been looking at using a second box (Nano/Octagon or similar) with RemoteStreamConvert. What exactly does this give me on the second box? Can I seamlessly operate the Quad from this box, i.e. can I access all the bouquets and recordings, and schedule new recordings etc... or is it a cutdown service?

RemoteStreamConvert lets you use a tuner from one box on another networked box, so if the tuner is free it can be used.
It's better to have a feed/s going to each box, but if you can't RemoteStreamConvert works great on supported E2 boxes & a decent network.
As for recordings, in this setup, the remotetimer plugin works perfectly

I also have a large collection of media on a NAS (0.5-1.0TB). Would this be better on an internal drive on the Quad or can I get both boxes to happily stream music and movies from the NAS? This isn't really a problem either way, just so I can get my head around what parts are required and what size drives I'd need in the Quad.
Networked dives can easily be mounted & used on the Quad, again all depends on your local network & how it's all set-up.

Lurch
16-01-14, 11:46
The GBQuad is still a great box IMO.
Yes, it will do all of the above. Will you have 2 sat feeds & 1 cable or aerial feed going to it?

Yes, 2 satellite feeds from a quad LNB on a Sky minidish and a feed from a rooftop aerial for the DVB-T.

RemoteStreamConvert lets you use a tuner from one box on another networked box, so if the tuner is free it can be used.
It's better to have a feed/s going to each box, but if you can't RemoteStreamConvert works great on supported E2 boxes & a decent network.
As for recordings, in this setup, the remotetimer plugin works perfectly

TBH I'd not really considered using the second box with feeds, I was just looking at replicating what I have now. The main reason for doing it this way was so I can manage recordings in a central location. There's no reason I couldn't add another feed to the second box if it would make it a better setup and use RemoteStreamConvert for the DVB-T. I suppose if I'm going to add feeds to the remote boxes then I may consider using an 800SE, save the RemoteStreamConvert altogether. I can then just use the Quad for all the recordings with the remotetimer plugin.

Networked dives can easily be mounted & used on the Quad, again all depends on your local network & how it's all set-up.

I have read a few threads where this works with mixed success, I'm pretty sure it should work fine as it is. The network works fine, it's just the settings on the receiver that I may need to tweak. Everything else on my network is happily streaming media from the NAS.