PDA

View Full Version : Gigablue HD800UE+ black screen

Comfysofa
15-01-14, 16:56
Just got it today....couldn't wait so I started to flash it in work (no dish or any external connections) but I thought if could get the vix image on before I got home then that's some work done....

Flash the bootloader - it rebooted, went into the default image booting sequence....go through the wizard and all that.....powered off using the remote.

Downloaded the vix image and put that on a memory stick (fat32 formatted in windows) put the image on....plugged in, powered up.....nothing - red power light, nothing on the little display, nothing on screen....

Have I missed something somewhere....?

Just to add both the Ethernet led's come on at the back as well.....instantly, as soon as I push the rocker switch to power it up....

Mr. Mister
15-01-14, 17:33
If it was a new box why did you flash the bootloader.. ??

there was no need for that at all..

Are you seeing the word : " Conf " on the display when you turn on your box when trying to falsh.. ??

Larry-G
15-01-14, 17:36
Just to re-iterate what MR.mister is saying you only need to flash a bootloader if a updated one is available and even then you have to be very very careful, flashing a bootloader is akin to a bios update on a PC an if it goes wrong you will kill the box.

Comfysofa
15-01-14, 17:37
I flashed the bootloader because the vix link said that I had to......I must say even if it was a new box it would have either flashed the same bootloader or not bothered...either way after that It powered up with the stock image. Its after that, that it now does nothing. No, it doesn't say conf on screen, nothing at all.

Ive got a VU duo and duo2 which are working fine....the duo ive flashed loads of times and I also have a dreambox, so im kinda ok with flashing images. I notice theres an rs232 port on the back, can I recover using the com port....?

Comfysofa
15-01-14, 17:40
As I said ive got it in work with me hooked up to and old dell monitor using a hdmi to dvi dongle to see whats on screen, but, in all fairness it doesn't always display so im gonna take it home and check there just in case theres something it cant display.

Larry-G
15-01-14, 17:42
I flashed the bootloader because the vix link said that I had to......I must say even if it was a new box it would have either flashed the same bootloader or not bothered...either way after that It powered up with the stock image. Its after that, that it now does nothing. No, it doesn't say conf on screen, nothing at all.

Ive got a VU duo and duo2 which are working fine....the duo ive flashed loads of times and I also have a dreambox, so im kinda ok with flashing images. I notice theres an rs232 port on the back, can I recover using the com port....?

Which ViX link ?, as for recovering the receiver, if the bootsector has become corrupted you may be able to resurrect it via a j-tag but as far as i'm aware that is not in the public domain.

Comfysofa
15-01-14, 17:48
bummer. Looks like itll have to go back....

seame
15-01-14, 17:55
Where did you get the bootloader? Post a link

I flashed the bootloader because the vix link said that I had to......

Have you a link to this and the image you flashed?

Sicilian
15-01-14, 18:01
There is no public ViX image or bootloader that needs to be flashed to the receiver.

Before doing anymore damage to the receiver send an email to the sponsor.

Also what ViX image did you try and flash, there's clear notices on Openvix site that state DO NOT USE ON PLUS MODELS! Where the standard SE/UE images are.

Sicilian
15-01-14, 18:14
Do exactly as follows:

1) Flash the attached bootloader to the unit.
2) Flash the UE+ Openmips image from here
http://image.openmips.com/2.0/index.php?open=gb800ueplus

Sicilian
15-01-14, 18:15
Moved to correct UE+ section.

Comfysofa
15-01-14, 18:36
Yeah - I have mailed the sponsor....do I copy that folder as is....ie the folder that says "gigablue" - just copy that to the memory stick....

Mr. Mister
15-01-14, 19:05
Yes.. folder called gigablue goes to root of USB stick..

Comfysofa
15-01-14, 19:37
Nah - nothing - im gonna have to hold my hands up and say ive flashed the wrong image.....more to the point I know I have now as I noticed this one says ueplus....the one I had at work said ue....twat. Too impatient....

I take it its just power on, with the stick in there....nothing to hold down first....power button or anything like that...

Larry-G
15-01-14, 21:50
Flashing the bootloader is the same process as flashing a image but if you incorrectly flashed the bootloader / image intended for a different model it is very likely that you have damaged the bootsector. This may need to be sent back to the Gigablue factory to see of they can repair the damage done.

Comfysofa
16-01-14, 07:44
Knowing my luck probably not....

Comfysofa
16-01-14, 07:52
Done a bit of digging around - found a bit of software called broadband studio. Looks like a bit of JTAG software to reflash the mainboard. Ive seen it running on the 800se but not mine....im guessing this is a bit of generic software for reflashing Broadcom chipsets....just a thought....

Just to add. Ive found the Broadband studio 3 software but cant find the necessary files to reflash mine - the older models ive found. Plus I cant find the build instructions for the jtag although ive seen a youtube video which briefly shows one....doesn't look too hard to build but irrelevant if I haven't got the correct bootloader files...

pooface
16-01-14, 07:57
Done a bit of digging around - found a bit of software called broadband studio. Looks like a bit of JTAG software to reflash the mainboard. Ive seen it running on the 800se but not mine....im guessing this is a bit of generic software for reflashing Broadcom chipsets....just a thought....

If you try doing a JTAG incorrectly then you can mess the box up even further! Do you want to risk it?!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Comfysofa
16-01-14, 08:03
No - not necessarily but I can see this going south....ie stuck with a dead box so I may not have any option....

Comfysofa
16-01-14, 08:06
All along I must have been reading the wrong thread as if I knew there was no vix image I probably would have bought another receiver! Heh, never mind....

Comfysofa
16-01-14, 14:23
Gone back in the post today....see what happens. Pretty sure I tried everything but if they can that'll be peachy.

Mr. Mister
16-01-14, 14:46
If you bought it from WOS.. Then id be pretty sure that WoS can fix it..

Comfysofa
16-01-14, 16:40
Cool - its the first receiver ive bought from them....I usually buy from another supplier (you tend to go with your last purchase) the other company has been really good but I thought id give them a try...I know I knackered it up but if they can sort it then they'll get my continued biz as ive got another 2 receivers to get...