PDA

View Full Version : Flashexpander on network mounted box

seame
13-01-14, 20:45
Would it be possible to mount a usb stick on one enigma2 box to be used to expand the flash on another using the plugin flashexpander?

ronand
13-01-14, 20:51
Are you mad? Using a flash expander is not a good idea using a local drive never mind over a network

seame
13-01-14, 21:00
Why is flash expander not a good idea? I don't know much about it but as its in the vix feeds so I assume its not harmful

ronand
13-01-14, 21:32
Its not harmful but if the usb stick is not found or the mounts change then the box wont boot and a reflash will probably be required. From memory it wont allow to use network shares anyway.

seame
13-01-14, 21:43
If I can't network mount it I may have to open a for sale thread!

pooface
13-01-14, 22:03
Can't remember you mentioning anything about flash expander on your previous thread...

I'd previously stated about using a hdd from a network box for the hdd of another box. Basically, to stop the need of an internal hdd just for recording and playback etc...

You could mount a hdd, usb stick etc in this manner. But as stated above, flash expander wouldn't really be of any use over network. Why are you thinking of doing this anyway?

ronand
13-01-14, 22:03
Why not use a usb stick if its so important to use flash expander?

seame
13-01-14, 22:20
@Ronand The box is a dm500hd so it has no usb ports.

@Pooface I wasn't thinking of doing it until I seen your post in the other thread and that gave me the idea. The box is currently in a friends house not being used so I thought this might help me make use of it. The 2.0 images are bigger than the 1.6 and the 500hd's flash is only 50 or 60mb.

I don't want to use an external hdd as I had one connected to it before and it was quite noisy + the box would be on a small shelf in the bedroom which doesn't have much space left on it.

pooface
13-01-14, 22:38
@Ronand The box is a dm500hd so it has no usb ports.

@Pooface I wasn't thinking of doing it until I seen your post in the other thread and that gave me the idea. The box is currently in a friends house not being used so I thought this might help me make use of it. The 2.0 images are bigger than the 1.6 and the 500hd's flash is only 50 or 60mb.

I don't want to use an external hdd as I had one connected to it before and it was quite noisy + the box would be on a small shelf in the bedroom which doesn't have much space left on it.

Which type of external hdd did you use? Try one of the self-powered 2.5" hdds... I've found that these usually provide less noise than the 3.5" desktop hdd's that require an external power plug...

seame
13-01-14, 22:45
It was a 3.5" hdd with external power supply. Self powered hdd? never heard of it before, off to google it.

pooface
13-01-14, 22:52
It was a 3.5" hdd with external power supply. Self powered hdd? never heard of it before, off to google it.

I mean something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-1TB-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B007UOW818

They still make a little noise (as all hdd's do), but I find that since they are not using a fan and require external power, are usually quieter .. especially if you place them on a piece of fabric...

seame
13-01-14, 22:54
Ah I know what you mean now but unfortunately the box only has an esata connection which won't work with those HDDs

ronand
13-01-14, 23:00
I would still try an oe2.0 image before selling the box - the 64Mb flash should be enough for a basic install if you can live without picons etc.

pooface
13-01-14, 23:02
Ah I know what you mean now but unfortunately the box only has an esata connection which won't work with those HDDs

Yeah, I just had a look... WTF! Can't believe that dmm wouldn't include a usb port!

Having a quick look around, if you want to hack about with the box, it looks possible to add a usb port! But, I don't think I'd fancy having a go at that myself just yet... lol

seame
13-01-14, 23:10
I couldn't believe it myself, no usb or no facility for an internal hdd. I got excited when it was released and just jumped in, I knew there was no usb ports but thought I could just pop a hdd inside.

I considered moding too but I'd end up wrecking it.

A decent oe2.0 image for it is around 54-58mb so I assume it would run slow without any plugins added.

ronand
13-01-14, 23:27
I ran openrsi 3 (an oe2.0 variant) on an azbox with 32mb flash. So i would give it a go. The flash expander wouldnt give you any more speed - it would just allow more plugins to be installed. It wont be fast with the single core processor anyway.