PDA

View Full Version : Just about to buy....

Comfysofa
13-01-14, 11:23
Hi - im looking at a second receiver for the bedroom and this one seems to be the kiddie. ive already got the Vu Duo and Duo2 with the vix image on both of them. Used to be a dreambox groupie but ive gotta say the vix boys brew a good image so ive kinda started following them...

Any way...some questions.

First and foremost I cant seem to find an internal view of the mainboard (want to see whats inside)

Usb: theres only one on the back and from what I can see theres no internal way of getting a HD inside. If I bought one of the micro usb sticks can the front one be used for picons, can the front door be closed if I did - wondered if anyone has done this. Or, can the picons go on internal flash along with the epg....or is that better stored on a usb stick. Reason I ask is that the rear usb will have a HD hanging off of that and im assuming theres not enough flash image space for an egp and picons and these two things are usually frowned upon being stored on a regular hd.

DVB T2 tuner: will anyone ever make one??

Cheers to anyone that chips in.

judge
13-01-14, 11:30
Picons will be fine on flash, EPG will be fine on your USB connected HDD.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

azael
13-01-14, 12:30
To answer one of your questions no the front door won't close with the USB stick in the front . I can fully recommend the Gigablue I've had mine for over a year and had no problems with it ( well apart from the ones I've created myself messing about with it :rolleyes: )

pooface
13-01-14, 12:49
To answer one of your questions no the front door won't close with the USB stick in the front . I can fully recommend the Gigablue I've had mine for over a year and had no problems with it ( well apart from the ones I've created myself messing about with it :rolleyes: )

Just to confirm, you are talking about a mini usb stick like the OP is talking about, and not just a normal USB stick. Something like one of these (I assume that is what the OP meant anyway):

azael
13-01-14, 13:33
Hi can't confirm about a mini usb as small as the one pictured I do have one that is not far off that size and can't get the front panel closed

Comfysofa
13-01-14, 13:37
Ah - right - would have been nice to have used the front one - shame they didn't put 2 on the back....does anyone have a pic of the internal view (or a link to one...)

Thanks for all the replies....looks like ill be ordering...

Comfysofa
13-01-14, 13:40
Picons will be fine on flash, EPG will be fine on your USB connected HDD.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

If you do install picons and epg stuff to the hd doesn't it keep the disc running 24/7?

judge
13-01-14, 14:07
If you do install picons and epg stuff to the hd doesn't it keep the disc running 24/7?

Picons would, that's why I'd advise storing them on internal flash. EPG won't so is fine on HDD, external or internal.

Comfysofa
13-01-14, 14:28
Ah - next question - I was assuming its external only - can a 2.5 go internally?

rossi2000
13-01-14, 14:38
imo i would avoid buying anything from gigablue.

Comfysofa
13-01-14, 15:00
imo i would avoid buying anything from gigablue.

Ok- why's that then?

Mr. Mister
13-01-14, 15:20
I have 5 gigablues.. and each one of them are brilliant..

Comfysofa
13-01-14, 15:35
Everyone seems to like them - I was just interested as it seemed a very open ended rebuttal. I must confess ive just ordered one from the sponsors - (a UE model) - are they external hd only??

rossi2000
13-01-14, 17:12
I have 5 gigablues.. and each one of them are brilliant..

thats just your opinion though...

as it was my opinion that i wouldnt buy a gigablue product again.

rossi2000
13-01-14, 17:13
Everyone seems to like them - I was just interested as it seemed a very open ended rebuttal. I must confess ive just ordered one from the sponsors - (a UE model) - are they external hd only??

sponsor told me not to bother to order a UE+, says alot doenst it.
so i bought a venton instead.

Comfysofa
13-01-14, 17:24
Ok- you didn't say that first though. Youd be the first to say that - im gonna take a chance and see what happens. Ill post back on this thread when I get it and set it up.

Mr. Mister
13-01-14, 17:33
I have a buddy of mines 800UE+ here at the moment for testing purposes..

Its not the fastest box in the world.. But if you want fast.. Buy a Quad or a Solo2..

But one thing that it is.. Its totally rock solid.. Has had no issues what so ever.. All working as you would expect it to..

Comfysofa
13-01-14, 17:58
Not too worried about the speed. I liked the colour screen on the front. The only trade off I can see is the one usb port. House is networked in every room every where so itll be running on hardwire. It would have been nice to have an internal hard drive (this is the first receive that ive bought that doesn't). As I say its a trade off as everything else for the price looks to be pretty good.

Mr. Mister
13-01-14, 18:03
My 1st impressions are pretty good.. Im used to the Quad which is alot faster.. But all in all.. It does exactly what it says on the tin..

Rock solid.. No issues at all..

I dont think you will be disapointed when you get it.. Just bare in mind.. Its not the fasted.. and all will be fine..

world-of-satellite.co.uk
13-01-14, 18:17
thats just your opinion though...

as it was my opinion that i wouldnt buy a gigablue product again.

If I remember correctly that was when they 1st come out and needed some driver updates.

pooface
13-01-14, 19:52
Not too worried about the speed. I liked the colour screen on the front. The only trade off I can see is the one usb port. House is networked in every room every where so itll be running on hardwire. It would have been nice to have an internal hard drive (this is the first receive that ive bought that doesn't). As I say its a trade off as everything else for the price looks to be pretty good.

If you have other e2 boxes or a nas drive in the house, then I'd say to forget all about putting a hdd in the box altogether! Just use one of the other boxes hdd as ahdd replacement via the mount manager! What I do with my solo...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

seame
13-01-14, 20:02
If you have other e2 boxes or a nas drive in the house, then I'd say to forget all about putting a hdd in the box altogether! Just use one of the other boxes hdd as ahdd replacement via the mount manager! What I do with my solo...

Would it be possible to mount a usb stick on another box to be used to expand the flash on a 500hd with flashexpander?

Sorry for hijacking your thread comfysofa

pooface
13-01-14, 20:40
Would it be possible to mount a usb stick on another box to be used to expand the flash on a 500hd with flashexpander?

Sorry for hijacking your thread comfysofa

Create your own thread to find out ;)