PDA

View Full Version : whats maximum size external hard drive i can use >?

dan44762000
08-01-14, 13:17
i was thinking of buying a 2tb external hard drive too fill up with movies and plug into back off my box (it will be bus powered so should be fine right , will it be able too utilise this size drive ?
also anyone know what file types it can read , it will only be movies going on there and i will reserve something like 500gb for recording of tv programmes .

thanks
dan

judge
08-01-14, 13:20
The Nano wil take an internal drive & would be more reliable.
If you do want to use an external, I'd use a mains powered one, not USB powered.
2TB will be fine.

dan44762000
08-01-14, 13:30
why mains powered ?
i would want too leave it on constantly , for the box too download epg info and what not . i thought it would be bad for the drive if it was on constantly so thats why i opted for a usb powered one .

but i dont know if what i fear is even a issue ? will the mains powered one just shut down when not in use ?

DaMacFunkin
26-01-14, 08:50
I have a WD usb3 bus powered 500gb on mine and I prefer it, I previously had an internal and found it acoustically displeasing.

Larry-G
26-01-14, 09:00
I have a WD usb3 bus powered 500gb on mine and I prefer it, I previously had an internal and found it acoustically displeasing.

I use a small piece of self adhesive foam tape between the HDD and the cradle and have no issues with the drive making a noise.

dan44762000
26-01-14, 13:31
its all well and good making adaptions too stop this box sounding like a washing machine on spin, but it should not be down too the customer too make them. why cant technomate sort it out ?
they couldnt even fit the fans the right way around for god sake (sponsor told me )
i am happy with my box in every other way but build quality is awful - hoping my replacement fan will sort out the washing machine spin cycle sound .

also i was told that this box couldn't power a usb powered drive and too get one you plug into the mains .

thanks
dan

Larry-G
26-01-14, 14:18
its all well and good making adaptions too stop this box sounding like a washing machine on spin, but it should not be down too the customer too make them. why cant technomate sort it out ?
they couldnt even fit the fans the right way around for god sake (sponsor told me )
i am happy with my box in every other way but build quality is awful - hoping my replacement fan will sort out the washing machine spin cycle sound .

also i was told that this box couldn't power a usb powered drive and too get one you plug into the mains .

thanks
dan

I'm not going to get involved in another TM rant, fact is my receiver has never given me any issues and the fan is near silent as standard without modification, I did place a wee bit of foam tape between the HDD and cradle, but i always do that as standard on any receiver where it does not come with rubber grommets.

dan44762000
29-01-14, 13:51
I'm not going to get involved in another TM rant, fact is my receiver has never given me any issues and the fan is near silent as standard without modification, I did place a wee bit of foam tape between the HDD and cradle, but i always do that as standard on any receiver where it does not come with rubber grommets.

fair enough but as you can see form posts on this forum , i was not alone in the noisy fan issue and when you pay £100 + for a brand new piece of equipment it is not acceptable .
and then when sponsors tell you they couldn't even fit the fans correctly that is just amateur .

thanks dan