PDA

View Full Version : Clock: random time changes

lmerega
02-11-10, 23:05
Hi all, I have a Vu+ Duo with the latest VTI Image.
I cannot understand why, but sometimes, while in stanby or watching TV, my clock changes time to a random one (this evening at 10.40 pm it changed to 09.12 PM).
I do not touch anything, change simply happens.
So I have to go in the system panel -> NTP Time and reset NTP settings. Doing this, the clock is again fine.
I already lost two recordings because of timer problems... any idea?

TIA

Luca

danishdude
03-11-10, 11:32
What NTP-server/pool are you using? Could also be your timezone that somehow burps - hence the NTP responds with the correct time for that timezone. Or, actually, the time from the NTP is the same - the timezone-offset in the software takes care of the rest.

lmerega
03-11-10, 12:32
Hi, VTI choose it for me, anyway it is the correct one: ntp1.ien.it.
Moreover my regional settings point to GMT+1.
Everything looks to be correct.
Is there any place where I can have put a misleading configuration?

pooface
03-11-10, 12:40
My question would be, why use an ntp time server?!

All images receive the correct time from the satellite when you zap to a channel. Then, the rest is done in your timezone settings to set it to a local time...

lmerega
03-11-10, 12:50
All images receive the correct time from the satellite when you zap to a channel. Then, the rest is done in your timezone settings to set it to a local time...
Really? :confused:
so, why when I zap to a channel and my clock is worng it isn't reset to the right time? :confused:

TIA

Luca

pooface
03-11-10, 13:04
Really? :confused:
so, why when I zap to a channel and my clock is worng it isn't reset to the right time? :confused:

TIA

Luca

Because you've set up your image to use the ntp time server?!

Every image I've used on my duo (and dreamboxes before that), have a default time setting of something like 01/01/1970 00:00:00. As it boots in to the image, the time goes up for the amount of time the system has been running. Then, the skin shows the infobar with the current uptime (currently on vix 1.2, after loading all plugins and everything, it's usually 00:01:31). Then, it'll display a channel for a few seconds (I have my startup service set to BBC1), and then the clock will switch over to the correct time. If I haven't set up the time zone correctly, it'll usually be 1 hour ahead (as the default timezone is GMT+1)...

lmerega
03-11-10, 14:28
Do you know how I can do the same thing using VTI? I often put it in standby mode.
TIA

Luca

pooface
03-11-10, 14:55
Do you know how I can do the same thing using VTI? I often put it in standby mode.
TIA

Luca

It should work perfectly fine in standby mode (mine has never lost the time).

Only thing I would recommend, would be to start from a fresh. Take a full image backup (think this is built in to the vti images now?!). Then, backup all your timers/cam configs/channel settings etc via ftp/dreamboxedit etc. The, reflash the box with the latest VTI image if that's the image you want, then set it up as a bare minimum. i.e. After flashing, run through the setup wizard that starts. Then, telnet in and change the password. Then download the cams you need, and transfer any cam configs. Then, transfer your channels. Then, go to one of the channels and wait a few seconds, the time should appear... Do all of this before changing any of the settings within the image. If none of this works (it should though!), then at least you can restore the backup you took to save you have to fiddle about with setting up the rest of the image...

lmerega
03-11-10, 15:43
It should work perfectly fine in standby mode (mine has never lost the time).
--- CUT ---
Before trying using a fresh installation, I would like to try to disable NTP server.
Do you know how can I do it?
In the VTI options I only can set it, I cannot see how to disable (it's in VTI system tools).

TIA again

Luca

pooface
03-11-10, 16:30
Before trying using a fresh installation, I would like to try to disable NTP server.
Do you know how can I do it?
In the VTI options I only can set it, I cannot see how to disable (it's in VTI system tools).

TIA again

Luca

No, maybe try asking in the vti forums? (do a google search)