PDA

View Full Version : [XP1000] Sllooooowww

joetwizzy
06-01-14, 20:39
Hi, I have a Vu Duo and love it. I bought my dad an XP1000 and noticed it was so slow. I just assumed this was because it was a much slower box than my Vu Duo. I have just looked today and it is meant to have more RAM and a faster CPU than my Duo. So why is it so much slower? It is running the latest version of vix.

stevejo
06-01-14, 20:41
Ive the same with a duo and xp1000 but put it down to you get what you pay for vu+ are a far better build

joetwizzy
06-01-14, 20:44
Ive the same with a duo and xp1000 but put it down to you get what you pay for vu+ are a far better build

Yeah, I only noticed as I was contemplating buying another sat box and was checking the CPU and RAM speeds of different boxes. It makes me not want to try other manufacturers as I can't accurately compare any.

Have you tried any other image on the XP1000 for speed comparisons? Maybe it's VIX?

judge
06-01-14, 20:46
It is running the latest version of vix.

and, what would that be?

Larry-G
06-01-14, 20:47
so what plugins have you installed etc as these can effect the speed of the receiver same as with any computer.

stevejo
06-01-14, 20:49
Not any seen difference with images ,its a good box for the money its a bit slow with crossepg and starting up but once going its fine make sure you use a good flash drive in it for your picons

joetwizzy
06-01-14, 20:51
I re flashed it 2 weeks ago hoping it might fix the speed issue using the then latest image from openvix.co.uk. I am not at his house to check the exact version number.

The only extra plugin I have installed is mgcamd. I haven't even installed any picons this time to see if that helped... it didn't.

dwarf
07-01-14, 00:19
I'm sure the xp1000 has just a single core cpu. For the same money the technomate nano is a much better box and has a better spec than the duo.

Having used both the nano is excellent the xp1000 is just frustrating to use.

zenith
07-01-14, 01:20
i have an xp1000 and don`t find the speed a problem?
i also have a vu duo and admittedly it is faster than the xp1000 but not so much as to find it a problem?

Stales
07-01-14, 01:21
When someone states they are using the latest version of VIX, one should assume they are using the latest version (if it is even relevant) or at least question the version in a less patronising manor. This site is brilliant and essential but why to the senior people have to be so patronising and have such attitude. If you don't want to help, don't but you are obviously here to help and want to so help people and not build your own ego's. I understand the frustration when people don't provide sufficient information but often people don't know what information you need or it is assumed. Love and need this site but the only BIG and I mean HUGE let down is the attitude of leaders, more experienced users. To be honest it seems to be the very senior people. Had to be said, sorry!

and, what would that be?

judge
07-01-14, 01:53
When someone states they are using the latest version of VIX, one should assume they are using the latest version (if it is even relevant) or at least question the version in a less patronising manor. This site is brilliant and essential but why to the senior people have to be so patronising and have such attitude. If you don't want to help, don't but you are obviously here to help and want to so help people and not build your own ego's. I understand the frustration when people don't provide sufficient information but often people don't know what information you need or it is assumed. Love and need this site but the only BIG and I mean HUGE let down is the attitude of leaders, more experienced users. To be honest it seems to be the very senior people. Had to be said, sorry!

And, I'm sorry you feel like that (and wouldn't consider myself one of the very senior people).
Although, you must understand how frustrating it is when someone opens a thread, is asked a basic question (with a nice tip IN RED & BOLD) on how to find the most basic required info & still enters 0.

If you plan on opening a support request, 3 button presses really isn't that much to ask.
If you're heading to work & plan on opening a support request from work, write down the build number, email it to yourself, enter it on your phone, scratch it on your shoe... or wait till you get home if you really can't remember.

Using 'latest version of VIX' helps no one. Anyone reading this thread in 6 months will have no idea what build is being discussed (we don't even know now).
Also, please remember, your 'latest version of VIX' could easily be when you bought the box, the last time you updated the box, the last time a visitor to your house found the update option, the last time a dodgy supplier came around and told you that's the 'latest version of VIX' you can use.

You can be sure your latest version of ViX isn't the same as my latest version of ViX at the moment.

So, those of us on here daily, doing our best to provide support, testing, debugging, begging Andy for feature requests... all in our free time can get frustrated & certainly can't presume a 'latest version of VIX' build number.

Hope that explains things a bit better & shows why we NEED the build number when opening a support request.
If we don't keep asking folks for the build number, we can't support them, so expect to see less support requests answered by 'the very senior people'.

Larry-G
07-01-14, 01:58
When someone states they are using the latest version of VIX, one should assume they are using the latest version

Unfortunatley a user stating they are using the latest build is of no use to us as there are currently 808 public builds ( 830 ) if you count the unreleased ones in the ViX 3.0 series alone. Latest at the time they flashed the image may not be the latest at the time of them asking for help.

(if it is even relevant) .

Yes it is very relevant, Vital even as we must have accurate information if we are expected to spend time chasing down reported bugs, more often than not we have spent days, weeks even tracking down a issue only to be told at a later date information which if given at the beginning would have saved all the work we did and resulted in a solution far far sooner.

This site is brilliant and essential but why to the senior people have to be so patronising and have such attitude. If you don't want to help, don't but you are obviously here to help and want to so help people and not build your own ego's. I understand the frustration when people don't provide sufficient information but often people don't know what information you need or it is assumed. Love and need this site but the only BIG and I mean HUGE let down is the attitude of leaders, more experienced users. To be honest it seems to be the very senior people. Had to be said, sorry!

yes i agree at times we and i include my self here could be a little more tactful but you only see the public side of the forum, in the development side we produce some 200 plus posts easily per day and most of the time more, posts directly referencing bug reports and info provided to us by you the user, if that info is not accurate we can waste a lot of time and effort on a wild goose chase. as a result of the shear amount of forum posts where users were seeking help without even telling us the image they were using we created 3 simple questions.

What ViX Image build number are you using?
Please provide your ViX Team image build number. Menu > Information > About > Build number > ENTER THIS NUMBER.

Have you tried a flash WITHOUT settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.

Have you tried a flash WITH settings restore?
Have you tried this? PLEASE SELECT YES OR NO.

These three simple questions are there to save us and you valuable time in the process of finding and fixing problems but when users cant be bothered to even answer those you can understand when we get a little frustrated, wouldn't you ?.

Tkr001
07-01-14, 03:40
I'm not a senior person here, just a joe bloggs user and I find it frustrating when people say "latest version". Many times investigation has shown the version used is not the latest publicly available and often there are several versions released in the space of a week. I try to read every post and chip in when I can help. Is it too much to ask people to look up the actual version number in use and quote it?

Rob van der Does
07-01-14, 08:12
You have no idea what answer we get on asking what build 'the latest' actually is. Very often it isn't 'the latest' at all. And even if it is: reading a thread on a later date, how could one even guess what build that would be?
And do you have any idea how many builds we have per week (many of them you won't even see)?
So please: think twice before saying a thing like that. We ask for a good reason.

Emulated
07-01-14, 08:20

One very important thing to remember is every thing in the forums is free. It costs you nothing, not a penny and whilst it maybe confusing and sometimes frustrating gathering the information required, you will find those with years of knowledge are willing to help. All it takes is common courtesy and providing the requested information.

joetwizzy
07-01-14, 12:21
Like I said I was not at the box to give you the exact version number. It was re flashed with the latest 2 weeks ago (and before that it was last updated month or so before). I did write words in the version number box when creating the thread and it changed it to 0.

Mr. Mister
07-01-14, 13:05
Like I said I was not at the box to give you the exact version number. It was re flashed with the latest 2 weeks ago (and before that it was last updated month or so before). I did write words in the version number box when creating the thread and it changed it to 0.

Thats exactly our point buddy.. No-one is have a go at you here.. There are 100`s like yourself..

You said it was the latest image.. That was 2 weeks since fresh flash..

Just say you flashed build number 790.. Its very possible that 2 weeks later we could be on build 800 or higher..

So you see.. Your not on the latest build.. We would be looking for problem in build 800.. and thats of no use to you as your on build 790.. And we have just wasted our time looking for a problem in the wrong build..

You see what we are trying to get accross here.. ??

zenith
07-01-14, 17:15
just to put my tuppence worth in.
i have been on the vix image since i bought my boxes (18 months)and appreciate all the help that i have received regarding the senior members on here and other members especially when i first started out.
i also realise that since i started out,the images change far more regularly and realise how important it is when they ask for the build number.

Larry-G
07-01-14, 17:23

No one was having a go at you specifically, my reply was aimed towards @stales as he did not seem to grasp why we need specific and accurate information in order to offer good consistent help to our users.

skronk
07-01-14, 17:27
Thats exactly our point buddy.. No-one is have a go at you here.. There are 100`s like yourself..

You said it was the latest image.. That was 2 weeks since fresh flash..

Just say you flashed build number 790.. Its very possible that 2 weeks later we could be on build 800 or higher..

So you see.. Your not on the latest build.. We would be looking for problem in build 800.. and thats of no use to you as your on build 790.. And we have just wasted our time looking for a problem in the wrong build..

You see what we are trying to get accross here.. ??

Mr. Mister,

I note your points above, but, with respect.....is it really necessary to have daily, or bi daily updates to image ? Would once per week, or month not suffice ?

My first Openpli image on DM800se I had, I think for just under 1 year !! It ran flawlessly.

I do appreciate the work is all done voluntarily, and this is not a dig, just a genuine question.

Regards

Larry-G
07-01-14, 17:32
Mr. Mister,

I note your points above, but, with respect.....is it really necessary to have daily, or bi daily updates to image ? Would once per week, or month not suffice ?

My first Openpli image on DM800se I had, I think for just under 1 year !! It ran flawlessly.

I do appreciate the work is all done voluntarily, and this is not a dig, just a genuine question.

Regards

We used to release the image maybe twice or three times a year in one big launch and we got slated for it by users who demanded updates now, whether they were ready or not. So we devised the system we have now where we submit updates directly to the central GIT as and when they are ready, we still can hold images back for testing if needed, but on the whole they are more than stable enough for instant release with little testing.

skronk
07-01-14, 17:34
We used to release the image maybe twice or three times a year in one big launch and we got slated for it by users who demanded updates now, whether they were ready or not. So we devised the system we have now where we submit updates directly to the central GIT as and when they are ready, we still can hold images back for testing if needed, but on the whole they are more than stable enough for instant release with little testing.

Understood...Thanks

Larry-G
07-01-14, 17:41
Understood...Thanks

Another big pain in the neck with the old system was last minute bugs, we would spend months getting the image ready for release, then at the very last minute a bug would creep in and throw the release back weeks if not months. More than once a release was pushed back easily 4 to 5 months in this kind of situation, and all we got from the users was constant abuse and harassment for a definitive release date. So i hope you can see we could not do rite no matter what we did.

Rob van der Does
07-01-14, 17:41
It is up to you if and when you update. It is never needed, unless you want new functionality or bugs fixed.

Mr. Mister
07-01-14, 17:50
Which also makes the point of build number in your 1st post even more important..

joetwizzy
07-01-14, 21:51
Due to it being slow since I first got the box and have updates to numerous versions of VIX since I assumed the version number was not relevant. I re flashed 2 weeks ago with no speed improvements. I was wondering if this is a VIX issue, as I haven't tried another image on it. Or just a slow box.. I was just wondering why it is so slow as it should be faster according to specs.

I get you guys points re version numbers generally but I am sure in my case it is irrelevant. I love the image, by far the best I've ever used. And I appreciate the work that has gone into it. I appreciate more the support you off and the user input you allow i.e. Bouquette list in EPG.

Emulated
08-01-14, 11:47
Due to it being slow since I first got the box and have updates to numerous versions of VIX since I assumed the version number was not relevant. I re flashed 2 weeks ago with no speed improvements. I was wondering if this is a VIX issue, as I haven't tried another image on it. Or just a slow box.. I was just wondering why it is so slow as it should be faster according to specs.

I get you guys points re version numbers generally but I am sure in my case it is irrelevant. I love the image, by far the best I've ever used. And I appreciate the work that has gone into it. I appreciate more the support you off and the user input you allow i.e. Bouquette list in EPG.

Exactly what are you comparing it with and what is loaded to the image since you did a new flash. Tell us the time it takes to load up in seconds from a power on at the main switch. Then it can be compared with others here. I have a Duo 2 so I am unable to compare it with yours, but mine takes 40 seconds from a main switch start to receiving a signal.