PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everybody, a few questions!

mixersmate
05-01-14, 16:59
Hello, my brother in law and I have been researching satellite receivers a lot recently as we are both fed up of paying for sky!

It looks as if he is going down the skybox F5s route where as I am unsure about these, I'm looking to spend possibly up to £250 if the product is worth it, I've seen a few nice looking boxes on the store what linked to this forum, they say they can come with VIX Team firmware, or two other firmware options, can any body tell me what firmware is or what it consists of?

I really don't want to break the forum rules and respect that we should discuss FTA only so please accept my apologies if I have crossed the line.

I currently have a sky+ HD box with dish.

Any information would be gratefully received, thanks guys.

Mixersmate.

Larry-G
05-01-14, 17:05
Your still going to have to pay for a subscryption to view py tv channels which i'm sure your aware of so we'll leave that bit there.

Your receivers your referring to ( Vu+, TM-OE, Gigablue etc ) use Enimga2 which is a linux based operating system, the Image or firmware refers to the GUI ( Graphical user interface ), basically the bits you see as a user. now obviously as the ViX home forum we would recommend you go for the ViX image but only you can decide the best image for your own needs.

mixersmate
05-01-14, 17:15
So the image and firmware are the same thing? I guess the FTA channels I can receive is all down to my dish type and position? And I require the image to receive FTA channels? I would use the VIX firmware as all the forums I've read through whilst researching this one seems the most knowledgable.

Mixersmate

Andy_Hazza
05-01-14, 17:22
You could use the built in ABM to get your channels and built in crossEPG to get your tv guide. :thumbsup:

Larry-G
05-01-14, 17:23
yes the firmware and image are technically the same thing.

The image is not really a important factor with regard to the channels you can receive ( FTA or Pay TV ), that falls down to the dish position and your tuner setup on the receiver, I will say this though while ViX will work for any nationality very happily, it is one of the best to use for those in the uk thanks to the best EPG ( electronic program guide ) and some other features such as ABM ( AutoBouquetsMaker ).