PDA

View Full Version : Recording issue- please advise.

kanwar
04-01-14, 00:01
Hello fellow forum users,

My question is regarding my Venton Unibox HD2. The issue I have with it is as follows.

When I record one channel (tested with BBC1 and BBC1HD) and zap away from it (and then back) there is a pixellation/slight jig. It is not a huge issue but it's slightly annoying and shouldn't really be happening, should it? Occasionally the jig will extend a little too.

Can anyone advise as to whether they have had a similar issue or how this can be fixed?

I am using VIX image 802, downloaded from openvix.co.uk. I have had this problem with different versions of VIX image (I don't know about any other image I can use for this box).

This issue does not occur when watching a channel normally (not recording).

Thanks for reading. I would be very grateful for any help.

kanwar
07-01-14, 16:32
Anyone have an idea?

Spoof
11-01-14, 17:26
Menu>Setup>System>AV Settings>Mode:
Change from 1080p to 1080i.

Spoooo

kanwar
19-01-14, 00:23
It's already on 1080i, mate. This box doesn't have 1080p capability.

Larry-G
19-01-14, 07:12
It's not something i have ever encountered on any of the receivers i use ( all running various public and beta ViX Images ), not really much i could suggest other than to check all your cables and fittings such as F-plugs etc.

kanwar
21-01-14, 01:46
Thanks for the help, Phoenix.

I have checked and re-screwed all cables etc. They seem to be fine.

I notice that this 'jig' also occurs when beginning a recording. For example, if I am watching BBC one HD and pit something on ITV1 HD to record, BBC one HD will jig for a second then resume as normal. The same will happen if I stop the recording.

Very strange.

Any other suggestions to please resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

kanwar
22-01-14, 23:55
Could this be an image or setting problem? Is there any other image which is suitable for English speakers and will provide cccam, ts media and bouquetmaker and epg, which I can try?

Thanks.

judge
23-01-14, 00:01
Sounds like the second tuner is slow to kick in for some reason?
Can you enable debug logs & upload one of when this issue happens?
Also, a video to see the issue might be handy here.

kanwar
23-01-14, 22:35
Interesting suggestion, judge. I apologise for my lack of technical know how.

How do I enable debug logs?

Also, would re-seating the tuners help, or something like that?

Thank you.

judge
23-01-14, 23:05
Menu -> Setup -> System -> Logs -> Settings -> Enable debug logs = yes.
Then reboot.

Not sure if it will show anything but worth a look.

kanwar
25-01-14, 00:25
Ok, so here's what's happening.

I had another look at the cables and it seems like there could a problem there. I moved the coaxial cable i.e. rescrewed on the f connector and it seemed to fix the issue for a bit. Unfortunately, the issue soon reappeared.

The coaxial cables do seem to be somewhat loose. They can be taken out easily without unscrewing the f connectors. Is this normal? I replaced the f connector going into tuner a but still get a small jig, as described earlier. Could it be the tuner which is damaged?

I have also enabled debug logs . Where will I find them in terms of ftp'ing into the box?

Thanks again.

judge
25-01-14, 00:39
Debug logs by default are stored in /home/root/logs/
However, it's beginning to look like lose connections with your f connectors.
No cable in an f connector should be easily removed without unscrewing.

kanwar
25-01-14, 15:57
Ok, so how do I get this fixed? Could there be a problem on the connectors on the satellite side of things too?

Thanks.

kanwar
02-02-14, 22:57
I've had the cables looked at and recrimped etc by someone who works for Sky but I still have the same issue.

Can someone reccommend an alternate image, please?

kanwar
12-02-14, 00:34
Hi guys,

Please find attached the debug log file. I deleted all log files, turned debug logs on/then off and rebooted. Then I started recording a FTA channel (peace tv) and got the issue when going back and forth from the channel.

Also, I've noticed that when I recorded two channels simultaneously, namely BBC one HD and Peace TV the issue disappeared when I switched back and forth from the recorded channels, whether it was just switching between these two channels or even other channels not being recorded (but on the same transponder). Strange indeed!

Help would be greatly appreciated as I think this can be resolved but I can't quite get my finger on how to sort it.

Thank you.

abu baniaz
12-02-14, 01:25
You had a similar issue with your previous receiver. Perhaps you may wish to get another check of your dish/cabling. Could be damage/water ingress in the cables which is causing you issues or even faulty LNB.

Found following lines in your log

[Dish] tuning failed
lost lock, trying to retune
[Dish] tuning failed
[Dish] tuning failed
[Dish] tuning failed
[Dish] tuning failed

kanwar
12-02-14, 15:42
Thanks for the info, Abu Baniaz. I've had the cables checked, I don't know what else I could do really. I don't have the means or know-how to check the LNB.

The problem is relatively minor so I'm not too fussed. The funny thing is that if two, rather than one, channels are being recorded then this problem does not happen. My signal and AGR is both 99% on the 'satfinder' tool.

Any more suggestions would be welcome.

kanwar
27-03-14, 00:57
You had a similar issue with your previous receiver. Perhaps you may wish to get another check of your dish/cabling. Could be damage/water ingress in the cables which is causing you issues or even faulty LNB.

Found following lines in your log

[Dish] tuning failed
lost lock, trying to retune
[Dish] tuning failed
[Dish] tuning failed
[Dish] tuning failed
[Dish] tuning failed

Do you think it's a problem with the LNB or with the dish?

How best can I get it fixed?

Thanks.

abu baniaz
27-03-14, 02:10
It could be either LNB or cabling not dish alignment. If it was it would have been constantly the case and not intermittent. If I remember correctly, you said you were receiving over 900 chanels on ascan so, that also rules out dish alignement.

If you have confirmed that it works fine at another place, simplest way to get your problem fixed is to replace LNB and cabling. A bit drastic, but will solve your issue hopefully.

If you dont want to reaplace whole lot in one go, you could try different ports on LNB, they are essentailly different LNBs. If still the same, then replace the cable.